The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2011, 07:51 AM   #1
spiderman852

Bullets seated to deep

Hello all. I am a newbie at reloading but I have been reading FLF for over a year now. I loaded some 223 with Hornady 55gr v-max at a col of 2.234" over H335, various quantities starting at 24, 24.3, 24.6 and 24.9.I just purchased a new gun, Rem 700 SPS Varmint with a 26" barrel and 1-12 twist. I measured the total cartridge length touching the lands by placing a bullet in the chamber and holding it there with the eraser end of a pencil, putting a ramrod down the barrel, making mark on ramrod, removing bullet, closing bolt, measuring bolt face same way. I came up with a measurement of 2.265". I then subtracted 1/32" (.0312). That equals 2.2338" round to 2.234" Finally to my question. I have 4 reloading manuals, one being the brand new Hornady. It says for that bullet OCL should be 2.250" and H335 24.8gr to 23.2gr . Should I pull and reseat, I have a kinectic hammer. If i do that will I have to neck size again and loose my primer. Or can I hammer a little so the bullet comes out some and then seat to 2.5" or do you guys think I have to much powder charge and should just pull and start over. I am talking just 30 rounds. Also is .0312 to far off the lands? I just want to be safe! Thanks
Old February 5, 2011, 08:40 AM   #2
wncchester

"It says for that bullet OCL should be 2.250" '

No, it doesn't say it "should be", they just tell us what OAL they used to develop the listed data. That suggested length is no more a "rule" than the suggested powder charges. Within reason, seating deeper in rifle cartridges actually reduces pressures and seating close to the lands raises pressures. As a rule of thumb for rifles, you may expect pressures to slowly decease as you move out to around .250" or so off the lands before the pressures start to move back up a little. (See the "Pressure Vs. Velocity" thread and Nick's graph, three posts down from this one.)

IF you want to pull a bullet part way out and reseat, using a puller will work fine, there's no need to remove the bullet and start over.

IF you want to pull a bullet and start over, just adjust your decap/expander rod up so the pin doesn't contact the primer and rework the case as you wish while saving the primer.

Welcome to the Line.

Last edited by wncchester; February 5, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old February 5, 2011, 09:06 AM   #3
PA-Joe

I would rely more on my own measurement than what a book says.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:11 AM   #4
spiderman852

Thanks guys Do you think what I have loaded will be ok to shoot?
Old February 5, 2011, 05:37 PM   #5
wncchester

Welll....yes. ??
Old February 11, 2011, 09:52 AM   #6
straight-shooter

In short, I load .223 depending on the rifle anywhere from 2.230 to 2.260

I also use H335 as my go to powder with charges between 24.5 to 25.2 grains.

All safe loads .... fire away!
Old February 12, 2011, 09:59 AM   #7
mdevers49

bullet seating

new to reloading, in fact, just got my equipment but haven't loaded a round yet. I'm not sure I understand the relationship, if any, between headspace and bullet seating. I keep reading things that suggest seating just off the lands increases velocity but maybe that is specific to a certain caliber. Anyway, what is a good (and simple) way to determine seating depth (which I assume translates to the OAL of the cartridge) and how does this relate to headspace.

any help and advise is really appreciated.
Old February 12, 2011, 10:12 AM   #8
rogn

The COL as stated is a working number, this is what they used or its what the magazine accepts. Your loads should be safe and you may want to fire a few for function and accuracy, if they work well you may have a good load worked up.