The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 23, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Mutatio Nomenis

Dual pistol grips

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not it increases accuracy and controlability to have two verticle pistol grips. Any takers?
Old May 23, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Assuming you mean on a rifle:

Accuracy...No. If a forward pistol grip could increase practical accuracy, you'd see rifles with forward pistol grips on the line at Camp Perry or the Olympics....You don't.

Controllability is more a personal issue than a general one.
Some people like them and get better results with one, some people don't.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:48 PM   #3
HeadShotsOnly

I've personally found that, when shooting "practical" (short range, center mass, speed-critical), a vert foregrip does feel more natural from a controllability standpoint.

I'm not ex-military or LEO, and the extent of my "training" consists of things I've learned from a family friend who knows a thing or two and decided to share. I have an AR with a vert grip (mainly just to have one!), but when he was teaching me the Mozambique drills we used his AK. I started with my left hand on the handguard, but he stopped me and told me to grip the front of the mag.

I can say, to me anyway, it just feels more natural to not have your wrist twisted when you're doing that kind of stuff.

When you're shooting long-range, your left hand should be under the butt of the weapon unless you're not on a rest or bipod, and I could see a vert grip just getting in the way of stuff.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:00 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Forward pistol grips can make a gun more controllable, but they seem to be used mainly because they look "cool", sort of like a TSMG. Since they have been associated with SMGs, and other auto weapons, some states ban guns having them, as did the old federal "assault weapons" ban. I have no strong feelings either way.

Jim
Old August 4, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
booker_t