The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 22, 2001, 02:36 PM   #1
mr. pitiful

opinions on MARINE MAGNUM 870

Hello, I am pretty much a handgun guy but have been looking at different HD shotguns for home defense in my appartment. I had pretty much narrowed it down to the MARINE but was waiting till I had the $430.00 cash. well, I went to a gun show today and got one from a police officer that is like brand new with sling and extra shell carrier for $285.00 I was pretty pleased to find that deal. Now what I am wondering is what your oppinion of this gun is for HD. like I said, I am pretty much a handgun guy, and asside from doing some duck hunting in my younger days, I am new to any of the new model shotguns.

Thanks

Mr. Pitiful
Old September 22, 2001, 04:21 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Frankly, that was a great price! That shotgun should last until your grandkids wear it out. (maybe their kids too)

The trick now is to plan your defense (engagement zones) and practice, practice practice.

For HD in an apartment, birdshot (2 & 3/4 # 8s) is plenty.

Lots of threads here for a couple of evenings reading. Use the search key and enjoy!

Giz
Old September 22, 2001, 04:24 PM   #3
NINE

The Marine Magnum is a real piece of work. I've had mine for about 4 1/2 years, and no problems with it at all. The finish on it is EXTREMELY durable. I love its 7 shot capacity! I've shot light 2 3/4 loads, up to heavy 3 inch MAG slugs with great results. The pump action on this gun is very smooth, allowing for quick follow up shots. I will have no regrets recommending this shotgun to anyone who is interested in one. You'll love it!
Old September 22, 2001, 05:41 PM   #4
8200 rpm

For the price you paid, you basically go the corrosion resistant nickel plating for FREE!!!

I recently bought a parkerized version of the Marine Magnum (I like to call it the Terrestrial Magnum) for $289, and I love it. Remington 870 pumps can be considered the AK47's of the shotgun world, plentiful, reliable, and everlasting. However, I think the workmanship on an 870 is far, FAR superior to an AK.

Every man should own at least one pistol, one rifle and one shotgun.
Old September 22, 2001, 08:19 PM   #5
jimmy

The Marine Magnum is a well made and good-looking gun. Premium quality. When I saw mine on the dealer's wall, it might as well have said "buy me" in plain English. I had no hesitation about taking it home, and am glad I did.
Old September 23, 2001, 06:28 AM   #6
Leafy

Ditto with the above. I also want to chime in agreement with Gizmo99 about the shotshell recommendation. Don't lose a lot of sleep over those who will want to depate no. 4 buck versus 00. No. 8 birdshot will give you excellent results at 15 to 20 yds. with a cylinder choke without a lot of expense or risk of secondary penetration.
Old September 23, 2001, 08:09 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Great shotgun, great price, Mr Pitiful. Now buy lots of ammo, shoot it up, repeat.
Old September 23, 2001, 09:36 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

I have one and my buddy has one. We think they are fine guns. The only thing that keeps them from being "tactical" is the fact they are NOT black.

The great thing about the gun is that it is designed for those of us who either want to take them to sea, or may end up storing them for years and hope to use them in a moment's notice. The gun is treated to not rust. No treatment is perfect, but you might think of it as a sort of Glock-version of the shotgun world. It is reliable and seems to not need a lot of detail care that a blued gun might like in a humid environment like where I live.

I have shot bird, buck, and slug. At 50+ yards, the slug shots about 4" high and right, but very consistent! Once I realized how the gun performed, I had no problem consistently shooting a 1' steel plate at that distance. I found that amazing given the gun only has a single front bead sight.

Would I change anything? Sure. I would like the gun not to be shiny since it is used for home defense. I can live with that. The pump forearm is a little long. I would like a shorter one that did not cover part of the receiver when pumping. It is really good if you have really short arms, but if not, then you don't need it. There are some ways of unloading that are safe and easier with a shorter forearm. I can't do them because the longer forearm covers part of the ejection port. I think I need a sidesaddle as well.

These concerns are mostly cosmetic and not necessary, but preferential.

I like the gun and my wife likes the gun as well. It is her preferred home defense gun when I am not home. The frightening thing is that she shoots it better than me.