The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: PTR GI vs DSA Voyager
PTR GI 9 90.00%
DSA Voyager 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 1, 2017, 09:34 PM   #1
DoctorDeath

PTR GI vs DSA Voyager

I see a few older threads that go over this but I would appreciate some fresh opinions! I keep going back and forth between these two and I can't decide. Which would you choose and why?
Old April 2, 2017, 06:03 AM   #2
ttarp

I don't have any experience with FAL's, so I won't vote, but everything I've read leads me to believe:

Reliability should be about the same, maybe a slight edge to the PTR

Accuracy should be similar, but maybe a slight edge to the PTR

I've never heard anyone say they preferred G3 ergonomics to the FAL, so FAL wins there

Optics mounting gives a slight edge to the PTR

G3's get filthy very quickly, so win for the FAL on cleaning

G3's are very rough on brass unless you add a clip on port buffer, so in stock configuration, a win to the FAL on reloading

Price goes to the PTR by one or two bills depending whether or not you get the model with the optic rail

I would pick the PTR because I like the modularity and simplicity of the design, I actually like the ergonomics(yeah I'm weird), and I think the iron sights are the best in the business for a "battle rifle". But like I said, I don't have any experience shooting FAL's, so my opinion doesn't really count for much.
Old April 2, 2017, 09:46 AM   #3
smee78

It will depend a lot on what you want to do and what do you expect from these rifles? I have an FAL and a G3 type rifle and they are both nice rifles, they each have their own pros and cons. Are you looking at putting and optic or are you going open sights?
Old April 2, 2017, 12:27 PM   #4
DoctorDeath

I do plan on putting an optic on it because I'll be replacing my bolt gun with whichever I choose. I would also like to run irons pretty often though, to make sure I don't become dependent on optics. The gun would primarily be a range toy, but I might also use it for home defense eventually. My expectations are pretty high since these are $900+ rifles. I expect good fit and finish, no malfunctions, and good accuracy.

Last edited by DoctorDeath; April 3, 2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old April 5, 2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Model12Win

Get a PTR that comes with the attached rail on top. Don't screw around with the overhyped claw mounts, they're not "all that" and my 2013 vintage PTR might have out of spec mounts for them. I'm having a time getting the claw mount fitted to mine properly. If I could do it all over again, I'd get the one with the rail. As is I'll probably ditch the claw mount if I can't get it to work and go with one of the clamp on Brugger and Thomet pic rail mounts and slap on an RDO and call it good.

But the base rifle is well made, quite accurate, and very rugged and reliable. The DSA guns are hard to find and when you do it's some souped up tacticool model that they want like $2K for.

The PTRs are widely available good quality battle rifles for a good price. The GI model is basic but quite affordable and will give you good service. Also they now come with paddle mag releases and metal GI style lowers from the factory which is a huge plus. There is no better time to but a PTR-91 GI IMHO.
Old April 7, 2017, 08:55 AM   #6
ozarkhillbilly

Also mags are much easier to find for a PTR and cheaper as well. I know these are $900 guns but keep in mind they are copies of $1500 guns. I have a PTR and it's great but it is heavy and unwieldy, but I would buy it again.
Old April 7, 2017, 12:44 PM   #7
precision_shooter

I solved the "heavy and unwieldy" issue by making my PTR a short barreled rifle G3K clone, with approval from the ATF of course. Much more maneuverable and rides nice in a 3-point sling.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776