The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 3, 2014, 06:42 PM   #1
SteveP91

Most effective muzzle brake style

Hey guys! I'm a long time lurker of this website, and finally decided to join. I have a mosin nagant 91/30 that's an ex dragoon. It is one of the most accurate mosins I've ever shot (own 2, shot over 20 before buying the two I have). I have done a basic bedding job on the receiver, bent and polished an ebay bolt body (to preserve my original), I have a jmeck low profile scope mount (over 100rounds and still zeroed), Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 bdc, and hollowed an old wood stock hollowed and filled it with a mix of epoxy and tire weights to reduce recoil from weight (the bedded stock on it now). I have a universal butt pad on it too. I want to put a brake on it. (My other mosin is stock and beautiful, but really in-accurate so it's my "show-cased" rifle). I can't decide if I want a brake like the M11 Severe Duty or the Vais style brake. I have a range my dad and I made (no other shooters to annoy with sound and dust) so that's not a problem. What are your thoughts?
Old June 3, 2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Kimber84

Most effective muzzle brake style

I'm getting a Vais put on my .280 AI, and while there are other options I feel the Vais fit the "look" of my rifle the best.

That being said, the most effective brake I've ever seen is the "bastard"... From what I've been told it's obnoxiously loud and will clear the table of any loose items when you pull the trigger.

Here is a video of a non braked and braked .338 with the brake I'm referring to. This is the bigger brother version, but still you can see how effective it is.

http://youtu.be/tMLMof4P8Hk

Brakes can be very effective and significantly reduce the recoil of a rifle. You'll always have the "be a man" crowd, I say good for them. I like to enjoy shooting my rifles and I'm not about to take a beating in the process.

Last edited by Kimber84; June 3, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old June 3, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3
SteveP91

I like that brake. I understand with the whole "man up" stuff. I'm tired of those same remarks from all of the gun shop guys around here. Anyways, I like how affective that brake is, but I wonder how affective it would be with the 7.62. That's a lot of space around the mosin round versus the .338, isn't it?
Old June 4, 2014, 04:36 AM   #4
Kimber84

That's just an example of the design on a .338... I'm sure they make one for a 7.62.

Tags
mosin nagant , muzzle brake