The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 23, 2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Pops1085

Rem Oil has a new formula?

So I know that not a lot of people still use Rem Oil, but I've still used it a lot as a wiping down oil on blued guns.

Anyways, I was at the gun store today and noticed that they had a "new" can, very similar but instead of saying "with Teflon lubricant" it now says "now with 2x more lubricant than previous Rem Oil formula"

So what gives? Did they just add more teflon or did they stop paying Teflon for the licensing rights? Anybody know anything about this?
Old August 23, 2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Maybe they mean more oil and less Teflon ...

Remington is playing with names as a way to justify price increases. For example, they discontinued Golden Saber JHP ammunition. Golden Saber has been replaced by (IIRC) "Ultimate Defense." What I learned at the SHOT Show, from a Remington representative, is that Ultimate Defense is the same as Golden Saber. It's a new name, in a new box -- and they now charge as much for 20 rounds as they used to charge for 25 when it was Golden Saber.
Old August 23, 2017, 10:26 PM   #3
tangolima

The can is twice as big as the old one?

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old August 24, 2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Pops1085

Haha no. Same 4oz can.

Golden sabres were already too expensive before the name change, haven't bought the Ultimate Defense bullets.
Old August 24, 2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A box of 25 Golden Sabres was the same price as (or cheaper than) any of the other premium self defense ammo choices, and ALL the others are only 20 to a box. Remington just made theirs price-competitive with the rest (unfortunately).
Old August 24, 2017, 05:27 PM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
So I know that not a lot of people still use Rem Oil
I don't find that to be true so where/how do you "know" this?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 24, 2017, 06:20 PM   #7
rickyrick

I did an informal lubricant test on a figet spinner: tried different stuff in the bearing, see how it holds up, how long it stays in place and how much viscosity drag there was.

Surprisingly REM oil was by far the best. I've subjected the fidget spinner to lots of abuse.
I reapplied Rem oil after testing everything I had and I've been spinning it for weeks without adding any more, it's still very smooth with the rem oil and has very low friction.
I'll be using Rem oil more often now.
Not a perfect test, I'm not going into a lot of details, but it was satisfying to me.
Old August 24, 2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Slamfire

A bud of mine was involved in some extensive motor oil tests. Different lots of the same brand varied enough to come to the conclusion they were made by different vendors. Same can, different sources. I am certain that is true for Rem Oil. Remington does not have an oil company, they create a spec, and put it out for bidding. What's in one lot is different from the last because who made it changed.

Pretty much anything will be put on a label, to get you to buy. If the words Teflon did not work, maybe "God's Miracle Oil" will.
Old August 24, 2017, 08:20 PM   #9
Pops1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
I don't find that to be true so where/how do you "know" this?
Jesus... Let's just stay on topic. I don't want to debate the merits or popularity of a gun oil. It is a very lightweight oil with not a lot of resistance to heat, many have moved on from it.

I'm just wondering if anybody has noticed a change or knows something about this new formula...
Old August 24, 2017, 08:24 PM   #10
FITASC

If you want to make statements of opinion as "facts", then back it up. It is a good product that works for its intended use; whether it is "new and improved" or its just a new marketing label doesn't matter if it works. If you think it sucks, why even ask about it?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 24, 2017, 08:40 PM   #11
Pops1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
If you want to make statements of opinion as "facts", then back it up. It is a good product that works for its intended use; whether it is "new and improved" or its just a new marketing label doesn't matter if it works. If you think it sucks, why even ask about it?
Are you really going to get hung up on the fact that I said it isn't as popular as it once was? The stuff people want to fight about these days... I will never understand why people get so defensive over brands and products they have no real dog in the fight in. Are you a Remington shareholder?

Many industry experts do not recommend Rem oil as a primary lubricant. There are many other products that just work better, have higher heat and cold resistances, and better lubricity properties. I just tend to use it as a oil to wipe down guns when I need something light and in aerosol form.

I noticed a new can and asked if anybody knew anything about it. Period.
Old August 24, 2017, 10:22 PM   #12
rickyrick

This one went to the can... (insert comedic drum roll here)
Old August 24, 2017, 11:38 PM   #13
Pops1085

My bad, should've just ignored trolls.
Old August 25, 2017, 03:34 AM   #14
UncleEd

I think of Rem Oil as a "revolver oil."

The great thing about revolvers and I do believe true of the plastic
fantastics such as Glock is that they don't need a lot of oil. A drop
or two occasionally is enough.

Same thinking regarding break open shotguns, bolt action rifles.

Whether it's now "new" or not I don't believe really matters.
Old August 25, 2017, 06:43 AM   #15
Salmoneye

Check an old MSDS against the most recent one...
Old August 25, 2017, 10:20 PM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I recently bought a small bottle of Rem Oil at my local Walmart. I noticed too there wasn't any separation or settlement of Teflon on the new bottles bottom as seen in the past. Shame as the Rem Oil product was perhaps the best for keeping a action reliable in extreme cold temps. Guess I'll have to figured out who sells a similar product as good as Rem Oil~~ was?
Old August 26, 2017, 07:14 AM   #17
thibaultfelix40

A little history lesson. A company named Du Pont had extensive research facilities. They made lots of stuff including smokeless gun powder. They bought an arms and ammo company named Remington. The also pretty much invented the flurocarbon business with some of their inventions freon and teflon. Once upon a time they founded a company based on making black powder a bizzlion years ago, after a while they made nitroglycerine and cellulose nitrate which was the basis of the smokeless powder business. Some where they got hit by an anti trust ruling and had to spin off Hercules who makes powders we now call Alliant. Dupont continued to make powders and bought Remington. This put them in great shape to serve as part of the military industrial complex. Later the Du pont heirs seemed to get more politically correct and wanted to shed the not PC parts of their operations. By the way they did own an oil company-Conoco. It also got spun off. Now if you think you understand the old boy networks, corporate incest etc that this mess is capable of, you don't. They are also one of the worlds most capable business organizations and close to fanatic about doing things right. Tort attorneys like to sue outfits with deep pockets and they don't come much deeper than Du Point but they have attorneys too.