The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 12, 2013, 06:58 PM   #1
MissPistol

NRA vs NAGR - some observations

Let me know what ya'll think. I am a member of both groups.

NAGR has been very active by informing me of activity in my area, status of bills at the national and state levels, whom to contact and how, petitions to sign, etc. The communication is very professional and to the point.

the NRA has not communicated one thing in any of these areas. Are they even still pro-gun rights? With Bloomberg's anti-gun campaigning as of late the silence is deafening. What do you think?
Old June 12, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Ah, yes. The National Association for Gun Rights, better known as the "Help Dudley Brown avoid having to look for a real job" Association.

Basically, they seem to recycle a lot of news about what other people and groups are doing, and try to package it so as to appear that they are actually doing something. Which, by the way, they do not appear to be doing.

I respectfully suggest that the money you spend on the NAGR would be MUCH better spent supporting the Second Amendment Foundation. The SAF is the group filing and winning all the gun rights lawsuits.
Old June 12, 2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

When I get approached by a 2nd Amendment organization looking for support, my first question has become "how much of their time and energy do they spend bashing the NRA?"

Well, NAGR is pretty much top dog at that. Dudley Brown's main focus appears to be nipping at the NRA's heels. It's somewhat ironic that I can't recall them scoring a single successful lawsuit or piece of legislation. They just yell.

The funny thing is, the SAF has a legitimate beef with the NRA, and they've refrained from such antics.
Old June 12, 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
LockedBreech

NAGR also likes to take credit for passing constitutional carry here in WY. As someone on the ground in WY, I can tell you that wasn't remotely controversial outside Jackson Hole and Albany County. It was always going to pass.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:25 PM   #5
overhead

Not a huge fan of the NRA, but they are much better then the NAGR, IMO. In VA, the NAGR spent a lot of time trying to make an enemy out of a representative that usually supports gun rights with some pretty questionable assertions.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

You may find this thread educational. The founder of NAGR even adds his own $.02: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/126...un_Rights.html
Old June 12, 2013, 08:31 PM   #7
SHE3PDOG

While I don't agree with everything the NRA has to say, politicians like big numbers. When a group with 4.5 million members says something it may actually have an impact. Anyways, I also hate that NAGR spends time bashing the NRA. While the groups don't necessarily have to support each other, it isn't good practice to undermine the missions of like-minded organizations.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old June 12, 2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
NAGR also likes to take credit for passing constitutional carry here in WY.
They also tried taking credit for concealed carry in Ohio.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:53 PM   #9
fragtagninja

I never really paid attention to them other than things they post on facebook. I also sign the occasional petition on there. I can say with assurance they will not be getting my money at this point. I need to look into this SAF as well as getting my NRA membership.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:55 PM   #10
thallub

Dudley Brown's other gun rights organization, Rocky Mountain Gun Owners lost its tax exempt status after Dudley failed to file with the IRS for three consecutive years.

Quote:
But the group, known for its hard-ball politics, as of Friday was still claiming to be a tax-exempt nonprofit on its web site, although the IRS revoked its status in May 2011.

In addition, the Colorado secretary of state this May suspended the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners' registration as a "charitable organization" for failure to file timely reports. Nonprofits that solicit funds must be registered with the secretary of state under Colorado law. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor, secretary of state spokeman Andrew Cole said.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...e-irs-could-be
Old June 12, 2013, 10:21 PM   #11
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
You may find this thread educational. The founder of NAGR even adds his own $.02: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/126...un_Rights.html
Wow! Some really valuable new stuff at the end of that thread. He even lied about having a college degree.
Old June 12, 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

I will warn members that AR15.com has different moderation standards, and there is some language in that thread some might find objectionable.

What's more, some of it is from Mr. Brown, who sinks to one-word profane insults. The most absurd bit, however, is this:

Quote:
NAGR just fought -- and defeated -- the gun controls in the US Senate.
Another thread, with an advocate for their organization is here.
Old June 12, 2013, 11:29 PM   #13
BarryLee

Quote:
NAGR has been very active by informing me of activity in my area, status of bills at the national and state levels, whom to contact and how, petitions to sign, etc. The communication is very professional and to the point.

the NRA has not communicated one thing in any of these areas.
So, does the NRA have your current contact information? Is it possible you inadvertently had them place you on the do not contact list? Anyway, I get emails and snail mail from them several times a week discussing issues related to federal and state activities.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 13, 2013, 12:00 AM   #14
horselips

QUOTE from Miss Pistol:> "the NRA has not communicated one thing in any of these areas. Are they even still pro-gun rights? With Bloomberg's anti-gun campaigning as of late the silence is deafening. What do you think?"

If you sign up for the NRA-ILA email alerts, you get almost daily updates on the gun rights situation in every state. There is no shortage of information available from the NRA. JOIN! Do it today!
Old June 13, 2013, 03:25 AM   #15
MrApathy

+SAF Second Amendment Foundation they do alot of the legal battling
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old June 13, 2013, 12:36 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Twelve pages of that ARFCOM thread were more than I could tolerate, but I read enough at each end to confirm what I already knew about Mr. Brown and the NAGR. This link was enough to make the time I spent worthwhile: http://hareforcolorado.blogspot.com/...rable.html?m=1
Old June 13, 2013, 04:34 PM   #17
SHE3PDOG

Nice link Aquila Blanca. I now know that it is very unlikely that NAGR will ever get my money. I also looked at SAF and must say that I am impressed with them. I may have to contribute to their cause in the near future.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old June 14, 2013, 01:03 AM   #18
MissPistol

OK I see I may have a miscommunica---

I don't have a good login with NRA so I emailed them to figure it out - the ILA page does have some good info on it. I am particularly interested in progress, or hopefully, lack thereof, of senate bill in Oregon that at one time were gonners, but now, due to Mr Bloomberg, are breathing new life.
Old June 14, 2013, 11:49 AM   #19
BarryLee

Quote:
I am particularly interested in progress, or hopefully, lack thereof, of senate bill in Oregon
Are there any local gun rights groups in Oregon? I know we have one here in Georgia that does a pretty good job of influencing policy and keeping members up to date.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 15, 2013, 05:21 PM   #20
g.willikers

The GOA does about the same thing as the NAGR, doesn't it?
One hound nipping at the heels of the wolf is probably a good idea.
An additional choice to support is definitely the SAF.
And our state organizations.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:52 PM   #21
vytoland

Join, Support, Contribute to the NRA.

The NRA IS the largest and MOST active organization that the firearms community has to stand up and be heard.
Old June 15, 2013, 10:33 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
An additional choice to support is definitely the SAF.
Yep, and the NSSF is very influential as well.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:57 AM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

But the NSSF is an industry advocacy organization. I don't even know if they offer memberships to the general populace.
Old June 16, 2013, 01:18 AM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

It is primarily oriented towards the industry, but anyone can join as an Individual Supporter for an annual fee of $50.
Individual Supporter
This application is designed for an individual who would like to help support NSSF's mission to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Individual memberships shall be in the name of and belong to the individual. Individual members will not receive the benefits of NSSF member businesses. This category is simply to show your support. In appreciation of your support, individual members will receive a special gift from the National Shooting Sports Foundation.
http://www.nssf.org/join/
Old June 16, 2013, 06:05 AM   #25
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So, does the NRA have your current contact information? Is it possible you inadvertently had them place you on the do not contact list? Anyway, I get emails and snail mail from them several times a week discussing issues related to federal and state activities.
I do to, both snail mail, and e-mail, from the NRA directly, and the NRA-ILA.