The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 18, 2013, 01:25 PM   #76
lcpiper

Bring things back around to the original topic by the way.

Those CNN guys were not private buyers by the way. They actually purchased those guns for CNN, or as agents of CNN didn't they?

Aren't there specific laws for businesses that buy and own firearms and how company employees can handle them?

As a business, things are not entirely the same as a private individual making the purchase. Frankly, I am unsure of the law in this instance.
Old April 18, 2013, 04:06 PM   #77
larryh1108

Something tells me that, after the fiasco in DC with the "hi-cap mag", CNN would have talked to the BATF and/or other officials to announce their intentions and would turn over any/all that they purchased to them along with film copies of the transactions. They aren't as dumb as the guy in DC and I'm sure they asked their lawyers how to handle this ahead of time. Just a gut feeling...
Old April 19, 2013, 11:30 AM   #78
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
I'm sure they asked their lawyers how to handle this ahead of time. Just a gut feeling...
As a lawyer, I can tell you that you might be rather surprised...
Old April 19, 2013, 11:41 AM   #79
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorer-at-Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh1108
. . . . I'm sure they asked their lawyers how to handle this ahead of time.
As a lawyer, I can tell you that you might be rather surprised...
Armorer-at-Law is right. People, including people who run corporations and TV networks, do stupid stuff all the time without checking with their lawyers. When I was in private practice, the two most common questions that I ever asked clients were:
  • Where's my money?
  • What made you think that was a good idea?!?