The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 4, 2011, 12:23 PM   #1
fsfty

Suggestions

Hi...I currently have a Benelli Supernova...first gun I ever bought. I bought it strictly for home defense, and I found that the 28" barrel doesn't make it a good option. I am going to trade it in and get a 12 gauge 18" pump action shotgun, but Im not sure what to look at. I want to keep the price around $350, and I definitely want a "wood" stock, not a synthetic stock. I was looking at Mossberg and Remington, but they seem to have synthetic stocks, unless im missing something. Can you guys suggest some options? Thanks.
Old April 4, 2011, 12:27 PM   #2
oneounceload

Quote:
and I found that the 28" barrel doesn't make it a good option.
That is entirely subjective and would depend on whether your HD plan is to hunker down in your safe room, call 911, point the barrel at the door for protection, or whether you feel the need to play cop and sweep your domicile.

I have no need to go looking for the bad guys inside my home, and if I felt the need to do so, I would be using a 357 - but that's just MY plan
Old April 4, 2011, 01:00 PM   #3
fsfty

I live in a apartment and so its more a question of being able to access the gun without clunking into walls, furniture, etc. Also, I live in NY and getting a pistol permit isn't the easiest thing to get. I appreciate you responding, but your response was pretty condescending, to say the least. I hardly think getting a shotgun for home defense is playing "cop". Can anyone who wants to help me please respond. Thanks...
Old April 4, 2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Deerhunter

You shouldn't have a problem finding a Mossberg or a Remington with a wood stock. They both make them. The new ones aren't nearly as nice as the older ones. Since they both are very good shotguns, buying a used one might be a good option for you. I own both but prefer the Remington 870. Look at the used ones and find one that looks like it has been taken care of. I however have beaten the crap out of both of mine through the years. Make sure you clean it well and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old April 4, 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
BigJimP

There should be a lot of Remingtons and Mossbergs around ...with wood stocks...

But here's another option ..and personally I think the Browing Pump is a better gun than either the Remington or the Mossberg ...this one is the BPS high capacity ....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...acity-firearms

You should find them selling for around $ 525 ....( not the $ 350 you wanted ) but sometimes you get what you pay for in my opinion.
Old April 4, 2011, 01:21 PM   #6
fsfty

Thanks guys. I have a browning X-Bolt so i know Browning makes a great gun. I was trying to keep things under $400 though...I will definitely look for the Remington wood stock...
Old April 4, 2011, 01:31 PM   #7
lamarw

If you do not mind a used gun or a former police gun, you can check with Gulf State Distributors. They currently have several guns (Remington and Winchester) on GunBrokers' Auction Site meeting your requirement. They go by the seller name "G.S.D." Several on their guns currently at auction are well under $200.00

I am not associated with this seller, but I have bought several nice guns from them in the recent past. They are great to deal with in my opinion, but look at their feedback rating which is very good.
Old April 4, 2011, 02:44 PM   #8
oneounceload

It's not condescending - it's common sense - if you hunker down in your apartment bedroom, then the barrel length doesn't matter, does it? - Pointed towards the door while you or your SO is dialing 911 the longer barrel works just fine.

Having lived in apartments, and even growing up in NYC, it isn't that difficult to defend yourself - get the 18" if you think it will matter......stay safe
Old April 5, 2011, 12:00 AM   #9
arizona98tj

Quote:
...whether you feel the need to play cop...
Where I come from, that is condescending.

You could have just as easily said .....whether you feel the need to sweep your domicile.

It is totally possible that the OP's house isn't set up like yours....or perhaps he has other family members whose rooms are located at the opposite end of the house. In those situations, one sometimes doesn't have the option of just hunkering down with a gun pointed at the bedroom door.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Will Beararms

Why not buy an 18" barrel for the platform you currently have? ------Save money and increase utility--------
Old April 5, 2011, 09:13 PM   #11
arizona98tj

Sometimes finding a spare Benelli barrel is easier said than done. I've seen some pricing where it seems that Benelli is very proud of that extra barrel. Why?.....no idea....perhaps because they can.
Old April 6, 2011, 02:55 AM   #12
TheKlawMan

FYI, The City of New York was sued today, I believe. The claim is that the fees charged for a permit to own a hand gun are so high as to prohibit powning a hand gun. http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=351
Old April 6, 2011, 04:10 AM   #13
Rugerismisticness

Home defense? You need a pistol, possibly an XDM or 1911.
Old April 6, 2011, 07:55 AM   #14
jaguarxk120

+1 on the 1911
Old June 12, 2011, 09:24 PM   #15
blackriderhank

Handgun for HD? Why? I'll stick with my 870 for HD.