The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 21, 2011, 08:50 PM   #26
TXAZ

Caliber limit on hogs?

Does anyone know if there is a (max) caliber limit on the size of weapon you can use to hunt feral hogs in Texas?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 21, 2011, 09:00 PM   #27
Cowboy_mo

As a Texas non resident, I have to echo what others have said. The cost for hog hunts in Texas are prohibitive to those of us who would love to come down and shoot some for you.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:46 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a (max) caliber limit on the size of weapon you can use to hunt feral hogs in Texas?
As I understand the law, you don't get to use weapons considered destructive devices. You may use .577 T-Rex, .50 BMG, .470 Nitro Express, etc. You can't you machineguns. You can use artificial illumination.

Quote:
As a Texas non resident, I have to echo what others have said. The cost for hog hunts in Texas are prohibitive to those of us who would love to come down and shoot some for you.
That is very sweet of you. I have a place to stay when you come down to hunt my land. Be sure to bring your liability policy reflecting the fact that your activities on my land will be covered by the policy, protecting my land and its owner (my wife and me) for any liability civil claims filed against me as a result of any of your activities, including but not limited to accident, negligence, and criminal activity while you are present. You see, I can't afford the liability consequences of some yahoo stranger coming to my place and going hog wild and shooting one of my neighbors or their cattle. My insruance won't cover hunting guests. A standard million dollar policy for the land and a million for the owners will suffice.

My wife makes very good pie and outstanding nuclear fudge...will have plenty on hand when you come.
Old March 22, 2011, 12:18 AM   #29
Randman

Good info, topic discussed over on http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/forum.php

Might help..
Old March 22, 2011, 02:21 AM   #30
cookhj

Quote:
That is very sweet of you. I have a place to stay when you come down to hunt my land. Be sure to bring your liability policy reflecting the fact that your activities on my land will be covered by the policy, protecting my land and its owner (my wife and me) for any liability civil claims filed against me as a result of any of your activities, including but not limited to accident, negligence, and criminal activity while you are present. You see, I can't afford the liability consequences of some yahoo stranger coming to my place and going hog wild and shooting one of my neighbors or their cattle. My insruance won't cover hunting guests. A standard million dollar policy for the land and a million for the owners will suffice.
umm, would my homeowner's policy count?
Old March 22, 2011, 05:15 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
umm, would my homeowner's policy count?
Not as much as you might think.

Quote:
Good info, topic discussed over on http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/forum.php

Might help..
Where. You linked to the whole forum. If you searching on "hog hunting" you get everything from various laws (not necessarily related to hunting" to AA flashlights, to hogs and to hunting.
Old March 22, 2011, 09:43 PM   #32
snipecatcher

Double Naught, actually machine guns would be ok in TX. I was just reading our regs earlier today looking up something similar. From the regs:

Quote:
firearms
• game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, eXCePt:
• white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with
rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
• shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt eastern turkey during the spring east-
ern turkey season (see County Listings). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt eastern turkey.
• pellet guns and other air guns are not legal.
• fully automatic firearms are not legal.
• firearms equipped with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are not legal.
• a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see definitions - Legal Shotgun, pg. 65).
• nongame animals (non-Protected): Any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun is legal.
Full auto, silencers, etc. are not legal for game animals, but feral pigs are considered exotic species in TX, along with Auodad sheep, elk, blackbuck, etc. I just shot a pig with my 10" barrel 300 Blackout AR equipped with silencer last week.
Old March 23, 2011, 03:14 PM   #33
markj

Quote:
outstanding nuclear fudge
Japanese chocholat?

Kinda harsh requirements to hunt your land, do they sell such a policy?

Least you dont charge a hundred a day per gun......
Old March 23, 2011, 05:58 PM   #34
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Double Naught, actually machine guns would be ok in TX.
You may be right, for private property, but my local game warden is of another opinion on the matter (doesn't mean he is right). Silencers aren't a problem. For public lands hunting, it won't be allowed. Oh, and my comment on artificial light wasn't 100%. There can be some issues with spotlighting in some areas, though while you may be hunting hogs, the method may not be legal because of other animals. It apparently isn't that way where I am in north Texas, but elsewhere.

Quote:
Japanese chocholat?

Kinda harsh requirements to hunt your land, do they sell such a policy?

Least you dont charge a hundred a day per gun......
The fudge dissolves tooth enamel. They aren't harsh requirements for hunting my land. I have several folks who hunt my land and I don't require such nonsense for them. They aren't strangers. I have hunted with them and know how they behave in the field and about their judgment. Strangers? Not a clue. I would no more let a stranger hunt my land as I would let a stranger take my 9 year old daughter hunting. Putting that much faith into a stranger who could so quickly ruin my life would not be prudent. If you had your own lands and that had cost you considerably, literally many years of labor, would you be willing to risk it all and everything else to let some stranger hunt your property, knowing full well that if the stranger is reckless, stupid, negligent, or criminal that his actions could result in a destruction of your way of life?

And while we are at it, let's get past this supposed altruistic nonsense. It is funny how all the non-land owners and out-of-staters want to "help" us with our hog problem out of the goodness of their hearts, but none ever want to come down and help us with planting or maintaining feed plots, taking care of the water supplies, repairing hog damage, etc.

Nope. Y'all just want a place to have an outdoor vacation, blast some hogs, take some trophy pics and trophy heads, plus maybe take some meat back home with you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with ANY of that, but don't try to sell it as if you are trying to help me or anybody else. The only reason why you want to help me is because you want to have fun.

Do they sell such a policy? You know, you can get a policy for just about anything legal. Insurance policies are custom made every day.

I may not be out to make a profit on hunting hogs like some folks, but many of those folks are having to pay some high premiums to allow hunters to come or are willing to risk everything on the small chance that something terrible might happen and are pocketing the money. Having people hunt means enduring financial or risk costs and the risk costs skyrocket when you allow strangers to hunt.
Old March 24, 2011, 04:19 PM   #35
markj

Quote:
If you had your own lands and that had cost you considerably, literally many years of labor, would you be willing to risk it all and everything else to let some stranger hunt your property,
Dude, I live on a farm I bought and paid for I raise steers and dogs here.

I dont let folks hunt my land either but not for the reasons you have.

Used to be able to knock on a door and ask to hunt. Folks then would even tell ya where to go for the best chance. That all changed as they got old and the younger kids took over.

My in laws own land in harlengin my Uncle and Aunt live in McAllen. I dont need your land for anything I was just commenting. Why so serious? go get a cold drink and chill out a bit.

Now I dont have wild hogs here, just domestic over weight slow moving corn fed hogs. We do have wild pheasant, quail, deer, turkeys, and a lot of other game. I would gladly trade a hunt, if you had insurance that is but Iwill look elsewhere as I am strange to you this is too funny.....

Quote:
Nope. Y'all just want a place to have an outdoor vacation, blast some hogs, take some trophy pics and trophy heads, plus maybe take some meat back home with you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with ANY of that, but don't try to sell it as if you are trying to help me or anybody else. The only reason why you want to help me is because you want to have fun.
Now I never said this, I could care less about your troubles, I got enough of my own. I am considering taking on 5 bison calfs and am looking into how much it will cost me to re inforce my bull pen so they wont get out and wander away. Then there is the next breeding I am doing on my dog, most stud fees are over 800 so that is another consideration. See? my troubles are not yours, they are mine.

I got a hunt this weekend, a varmint cat is eating some sheep so I am gonna fix this problem for him and we will trade for that. Is how we do it in Iowa.
Old March 24, 2011, 05:20 PM   #36
hornetguy

Quote:
I got a hunt this weekend, a varmint cat is eating some sheep so I am gonna fix this problem for him and we will trade for that. Is how we do it in Iowa.
I always liked Iowa... I got to go pheasant hunting up around Montezuma several years back, and was just floored by the kind and "giving" attitude of the folks around there.
Definitely good folks.
Old March 24, 2011, 05:34 PM   #37
Mayor Al

If I may, allow me to speak as an out-of-stater who is willing to put down a couple of hundred dollars per hunter for 3 days and two nights of hog hunting on a farm/ranch big enough to give the feeling of open land, yet fenced for the exotics that they mantain for their major business. The hog hunts are a side-line mainly in the off-season for any of the well-regulated animals at this ranch. The "three days" is a bit mis-leading...1st day we arrive in the mid-afternoon..hunt that night, all the 2nd day and 2nd night and 3rd day we leave in the afternoon. So it is actually one full day and two partial day hunts.

I am not griping about the costs. If I have one request of those who run these 'hunting ranches or camps', I wish they would offer detailed and clearly understood descriptions of the costs for the 'package'. Many of the places we looked into have buried costs in small print in their web-site info pages. It can be hard to determine that actual cost of a hunt without a lot of phone or email back aand forth.

For our fees, and a signed, rather complex release of liability, we get the hunt, food and lodging, Blinds with feeders or walk and stalk hunting (our choice) and (extra-fee) cleaning and quartering of any hogs taken. Limit varies...2 each for the adult and one for the junior with us. We pay $35 for each hog skinning and quartering fee...mandatory. We pay an additional $100 for hogs over our limit (2 each adult). We can shoot varmits if we see them, no charge. We furnish a bag of corn for the feeders for each hunter.

The most expensive cost of the trip will be the round-trip gas for my F150.
I have checked on the place by contacting former clients. I have learned a lot from some of their comments and in general, they are pretty positive in their reviews. For us it will be a good experience, allowing two grandpa's to introduce our grandson to this sort of hunting. I think the prices are reasonable for what we hope to achieve...But I did check out some places that charge a LOT more for less in the way of service or 'quota taken'. When the total costs reach $500 per hog in the truck being taken home, it is more than we can afford.

So Thanks to you Texans who have the facility and the business arrangements that allow us a reasonable hunt that some old fart retirees can afford.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:04 PM   #38
cornbush

NOT aimed at anyone, but I find it funny when a rancher, farmer, landowner complains about "critters eatin me out of house and home" and then turn around and charge somebody to come knock a couple over. Don't play the picked on card when you don't allow enough "control measures" to do any good. I know what its like to have your place torn up, fences cut, jerk offs leaving ruts through your fields, but unless you can do it yourself you either live with the problem critters or let help in. Now if you're charging for a guided hunt with lodgings or other services thats a whole new ball game.
Old March 25, 2011, 01:39 AM   #39
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I could care less about your troubles,
Perfect poster child comment for not letting strangers hunt your land and helps substantiate my point. Strangers don't want to hunt my land to help me, like markj, they could care less about my troubles. They just want to blast hogs.

All the nice volunteers don't seem to realize that the landowner's have legal obligations to them, but you can darn skippy bet that if something happens, they will have a lawyer help make sure they get proper compensation.
http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/wil...xas-Deer-Lease
http://recenter.tamu.edu/pdf/893.pdf

Here is an interesting incident...
Casey Kantner was in her car in a driveway a half mile away from a hunter who shot at and missed a deer. She was pregnant at the time and hit in the head when the shot came through a window, but survived. The hunter was found 90% responsible and the landowner a mere 10% responsible.

http://tribune-democrat.com/outdoors...ccess-in-limbo

Shot in 2004, still has problems in 2008
http://blog.pennlive.com/lvbreakingn...le_huntin.html

What do you think the landowner's $ portion of the settlement was? He will be out that and thousands of $ for the lawyer fees.

Quote:
Used to be able to knock on a door and ask to hunt. Folks then would even tell ya where to go for the best chance. That all changed as they got old and the younger kids took over.
Naw, it all changed when the freeloaders started suing because of their incompetence when they managed to get themselves hurt.

Quote:
Why so serious?
Because it is a serious matter.
Old March 25, 2011, 03:12 PM   #40
markj

Quote:
I could care less about your troubles,

Perfect poster child comment for not letting strangers hunt your land and helps substantiate my point. Strangers don't want to hunt my land to help me, like markj, they could care less about my troubles. They just want to blast hogs
Aw now dont pout, read the whole thing, I have problems of my own to deal with on a daily basis. Hard for me to take yours on too. I cant do the world, just my place.

My idea was t ocome down, share some fireside chat, some good campfire food, some tall tales maybe a drink or two. Next morning said landowner comes out and shows us around explains what we can and cannot do.

Then we stalk a few hogs, kill em, dress em out and pack em in ice to take home and eat, then since we have a fewe days I would lend a hand, I can run most farm machinery and plow, combine etc. But since you is so against all of this fun....... I for one will find somewhere else where the landowner may have some appreciation of a friendly good time such as this.

Why it could be made into a yearly guy get together, guys coming from all around camping out, sharing good times and fun. Like deer camp.

Well this is how we do deer, not everyone gets in but when you do it is a lot of fun and friendship that lasts all your life.

or you can miss out on it all and write stuff on the internets I promise I have never left a place worse than I found it.

Did I mention I help the guys farm here and for that I get to hunt a lot of land closed to others? We are going into planting so Icant come for a month or so.....
Old March 28, 2011, 10:28 AM   #41
stegar1

it seems the problem is again the small portion of the pop that screws it up for the rest of us. you would think that in a state like Texas the Judicial would let common sense rule and not let the incompetent put their negligence off on others. i would be willing to sign any waiver to be able to hunt some where i could afford.

Semper Fi
Old March 28, 2011, 11:04 AM   #42
Double Naught Spy

That wavier still may not protect the landowner if you do something wrong that harms somebody else or their property as a result of your actions that were taken with the landowner's permission - hunting.

Where the wavier works is by helping make the landowner not liable if you hurt yourself as a result of your activities on the landowner's property, which is good, but only part of the risk consideration.

The other aspect remains as well. If the landowner doesn't know you, is it prudent to be inviting you onto the property, ostensibly to conduct activities in isolation from the landowner, while armed. Even if you aren't a criminal of some sort or have bad intentions, that doesn't stop incompetence. How would you propose the landowner vet your competence?
Old March 28, 2011, 11:30 AM   #43
stegar1

what was the name of the postman on cheers?

Semper Fi
Old March 28, 2011, 11:55 AM   #44
Saltydog235

I got one rule for pigs: Shoot every damn one you see, even those little 20lb turds. Those things grow up fast and reproduce like crazy. We have a saying around here about hogs and land; If you own land and you have hogs then you have a problem and if you don't have hogs now, you will sooner or later and you'll have a problem.
Old March 28, 2011, 05:40 PM   #45
Keg

Quote:
Cliff Clavin........hahaaaa
Old March 28, 2011, 06:35 PM   #46
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Quote:
Cliff Clavin........hahaaaa
Everyone gets mad when they don't get a free ride. Of course, Coach and Woody were continually clueless as to the events going on around them and often had significant problems with comprehending cause and effect.

Of course, if you think I am wrong, then show where the landowner can't be held liable for ANYTHING done by hunters granted permission to hunt on the landowner's land. Based on the insurance paperwork I have on my properties, I think you will have trouble supporting your desired outcome.

Please educate me.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; March 28, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:26 PM   #47
Keg

Settle down....Double Naught....

The last thing I would do is have a bunch of strangers on my property......
I will complain about the hogs anyway........They ain't goin anywhere......
Old March 29, 2011, 08:32 AM   #48
stegar1

i dont think you are wrong. to the letter of the law i bet you are 100% correct. i also bet you would not let anyone come on your land to hunt.

Semper Fi
Old March 29, 2011, 10:15 AM   #49
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
i also bet you would not let anyone come on your land to hunt.
You would lose that bet. See post #34 (despite the spelling errors). I don't let strangers hunt my land. That is 100% true and it is true for the reasons I have noted in regard to liability.

I let several folks come and hunt and every one of them is known well to me. I know they aren't some yahoo with a gun that is out to be itching to shoot something because they don't have land of their own on which to blast things. I shoot with each of them on a fairly regular basis. Strangely, they all have been very helpful with maintaining the land on a voluntary basis and I don't charge any of them a dime.

There are always liability concerns, but with the aspect of me knowing the hunters very well, I can mitigate that risk substantially.

I have been at both public and private gun ranges just before deer season and seen what sort of people often head out during deer season. I made the mistake of taking my BIL out and was shocked by what I learned from him after his following trip...and he considered himself a "hunter" as he hunts yearly. I posted the problem and then was shocked by the stories people shared...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401369

How do I know a stranger isn't going to be one of the yahoos I see just before deer season at the range who don't seem to know what they are doing or one of the yahoos in the thread?

Letting strangers on your land to hunt without substantial liability insurance is just plain fiscally stupid and is a potential safety nightmare.
Old March 29, 2011, 12:42 PM   #50
stegar1

i agree with you. the law should be changed to make the individual and only the individual liable for their actions.

Semper Fi