The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 24, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Armscor model 206 38 spl. snubbie owners . . .

A quick question for owners of the Armscor 38 spl. model 206 snubbie . . .

I recently spotted several of these in a case at a LGS and they caught my eye - had nice parkerized finish and looked pretty decent at a decent and reasonable price.

Yea, I know . . . they aren't a Colt or a Smith so let's not go there. I'm more interested in hearing from those that own or have owned this model . . .

I did look up the Armscor site and take a look at this model there . . . however, their specs don't indicate if this is a SA/DA or a DA only. Am I correct in assuming that this is a SA/DA?

For the price . . . were you satisfied with it? Did it shoot O.K. and did you have any problems. Any "weaknesses" to be aware of? I realize that they are somewhat of a Colt "clone" but made in the Phillipines. From what threads I have found on them, it appears that the triggers are pretty good on them considering the price. I'm thinking that one of these might be fun to have just for an range gun once in a while. I'm going back to take a better look and to handle them just to see what I think of them. I would only be shooting standard 38 spls. in it. Thanks for any info and opinions on them - greatly appreciate it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 25, 2013, 12:01 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

Doesn't your LGS know if they are SA/DA or DAO?
I think they are made with old Colt machinery. Someone will know for sure.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:11 AM   #3
egor20

They are DA/SA, love mine although I had the hammer bobbed so its basically a DAO now. For the price (1 think I paid $138, but it was a few years back) its quite a nice gun. Get some Pachmayr grips for it though, hated the wood ones. The only drawback is the finish isn't as tough as the older military parkerized finishes that you maybe used to.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 25, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

johnwilliamson - yes, I'm sure the LGS would know but when I was there, they were so busy that I just gave up trying to get someone that i could talk with in regards to it and being able to look it over. They were in a display case and nothing was showing in regards to their specs that I could see. I did come home and look them up on Armscor's website - but as I said, their specs didn't even discuss the action. They do show their 4" barrel model as SA/DA and I was assuming they were built on the same frame and action but I just wanted to make sure before I drive the miles to take a look at them. Like every place else, all the gun shops are crowded and mighty hard to get someone to wait on you unless you want to stand in line a long time.

egor - thanks for the info - that's what I was looking for. I liked the parkerized finish - but as you say, it probably isn't like the old military finishes. I'm going to be up that way today so I'll stop in and see if I can take a gander at one and handle it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 25, 2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

As above they are a typical DA/SA revolver.
Externally they resemble a Colt revolver but are not, and they weren't made with Colt machinery or input.

Internally, they're a transfer bar safety-ignition system that resembles a Colt King Cobra type action but no where near the quality.

Quality-wise I'd put them at a step above a Saturday Night Special, but steps below a Rossi.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:48 PM   #6
egor20

Dfariswheel

Quote:
Quality-wise I'd put them at a step above a Saturday Night Special, but steps below a Rossi.
Normally, I'd ignore this;

but do you own, or shoot one? I have a both a 20O and a 206.

Tell me why.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 25, 2013, 11:50 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Egor, They are made in Asia. Nothing of quality is made in Asia, except wars. They have some of the best wars in Asia.

I have read a lot of good owner reviews on these pistols. I'll probably get one in the future.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:11 AM   #8
TennJed

Are they made of steel or "pot metal"? Can anyone post a pic of theirs. I am interested
Old January 26, 2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

egor20

I'm a retired watchmaker and gunsmith. I've been inside of them and I call 'em as I see 'em.
The quality of Philippine made pistols, especially automatics has gotten much better in the last 15 years or so, but they just aren't up to even Rossi and Taurus standards.
They can make good knock around and shooter guns, but I question the longevity.

TennJed
The Armscor revolvers are made of steel. I believe they're pretty much all castings.
For a look at them, do a Google Images search. They resemble a Colt Detective Special outwardly but are totally different internally.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:13 PM   #10
egor20

Quote:
egor20

I'm a retired watchmaker and gunsmith. I've been inside of them and I call 'em as I see 'em.
The quality of Philippine made pistols, especially automatics has gotten much better in the last 15 years or so, but they just aren't up to even Rossi and Taurus standards.
They can make good knock around and shooter guns, but I question the longevity.
Fair enough, and thank you for answering.

My winter EDC is a Rock CS, I've knocked it around for about 7 years now.

The revolver I just toss in my parka pocket when I have to button up while riding, hence the bobbed hammer.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 28, 2013, 06:24 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions all . . .

When I posted this, I didn't realize there would be the response that there was.

I was back to the LGS to take a look at them and it turned out to be a mute point . . . the two that they had in the showcase the other day were both sold so they at least appealed to a couple of others. I'll check the out the next time I run across one. Until them, I still have plenty of other revolvers to shoot.

The day wasn't a total wash though. We stopped at a Sportsman's Warehouse and I couldn't resist picking up a Sig Sauer 1911-22. Yea, I know . . . this is a revolver forum and I'm pretty much a "revolver guy" . . but I'd been looking at these for a year or so and at $299.99 - a special they were offering - I couldn't resist - the cheapest I've seen them offered. And don't even go on the "pot metal" rampage . . . they are a nice little pistol and I just wanted one for plinking - plus it reminds me of a WW II Marine that was like a second father to me who is now gone - he collected 1911s. So I guess this Sig will be the "red headed step child" among my revolvers.

Thanks again for the input on the Armscore - hoped it helped others as well who might be considering one.