The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 11:18 PM   #26
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefamily
but now I question myself if carrying for self defense reasons is something I really want - still on the fence with this...
What I like best about having a permit is the ability to choose at any time. I know of permit holders that almost never carry and there is nothing wrong with that, they can choose when its appropriate. You have plenty of time to hone your skills with or without a permit....

the cost of maintaining a permit is nil, it really is a good thing to have. At the very least better than leaving your gun in the car when you decide to run an errand on the way to or from the range....
Old December 11, 2012, 11:32 PM   #27
SIGSHR

Some of us still live in states with no CCW or extremely restricted CCW.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:27 AM   #28
bonefamily

Interesting replies, everyone - thanks for participating in this thread.

While I am still not comfortable with carrying myself, it has been said here, and I agree, that it is not a bad idea to have the carry permit if it is ever needed. There may be a time where I find myself needing to be able to carry, and if I don't have my permit it could take more than I would like to schedule a class and get in for it. Though I am still not on the idea yet of carrying for myself, I agree with the above.

pax wrote:

This is common thinking, but it's backwards. You don't become "good enough" to take a class. Ideally, you take a class while you are still new and unskilled, then practice to get better. The guys who have been shooting for years are the terror of experienced firearms instructors everywhere.

While I do agree this can be the case for many, I don't feel this directly applies in my situation. Here's why - When my wife and I decided we would like to get our CCW, we signed up for the class the same day we purchased our pistols. After doing so and talking about it, we both posponed our class until we felt comfortable handling and shooting our weapons. We then signed up for a beginners firearms class and took that. After that class, we then signed up and took a couple of private shooting lessons (with the same instructor that gave us our weapon handling class). The instructor showed us introductory safe handling and cleaning of our weapons and then one on one time at the range for a couple of two hour sessions for each of us. I feel this is more than we would have received in our one day CCW class. Of course there is, and always will be much more to learn, but we didn't want to go into our class knowing nada.

My wife is still 100% positive for her CCW permit, and likely so as I feel she is more of a target than I - I support her on this completely. I just don't know if it is for me yet. Again, I agree with the above that I may just find myself wishing I had that privilege to have a gun on my person and will most likely get the permit and have it for safe keeping.

Again, thanks to all.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:45 AM   #29
ohiomossyoak

Quote:
Hmmm?

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-...rmation-center

Are you under age?

pax
A month shy of 33yrs old..
Part of Ohio law for CCW reads that if the person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been a offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse.

But Ohio law for owning an possessing and openly carrying a firearm seems to read similar to Federal law involving felony's etc etc...

So when I got caught with a a couple joints(a Misdemeanor of the 4th degree one step above a traffic ticket in ohio) over 13 years ago and the judge gave me fines and a stern look from the bench.That moment has lingering consequences... ....But enough about me
Old December 12, 2012, 10:08 AM   #30
Gaerek

Quote:
I have the Lord Jesus Christ watching over me according to a bunch of folks. If the good Lord says its my time, no amount of firepower will protect me.
Coming from a believer...

In the same vein, we shouldn't use seatbelts. We should get rid of fire extinguishers and smoke alarms. Heck, I think I'll disable the brakes on my car. I mean, if it's my time, it's my time...

Jesus also says:

"...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."
Luke 22:36

If it's my time, it's my time, but if someone wishes to do me or my family harm, they might be coming with me.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:11 AM   #31
Gaerek

Just to add, in many states (you'll have to look it up yourself) a permit confers at least one advantage to those who don't wish to carry.

You can skip the NICS check.

It's nice walking into the gun store, picking what I want, showing my card, filling out the form, paying and walking out...without waiting for NICS to come back.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:13 AM   #32
Double J

Own but don't carry?.....Officer, I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may tend to incriminate me.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:30 AM   #33
Gaerek

Quote:
While I do agree this can be the case for many, I don't feel this directly applies in my situation. Here's why - When my wife and I decided we would like to get our CCW, we signed up for the class the same day we purchased our pistols. After doing so and talking about it, we both posponed our class until we felt comfortable handling and shooting our weapons. We then signed up for a beginners firearms class and took that. After that class, we then signed up and took a couple of private shooting lessons (with the same instructor that gave us our weapon handling class). The instructor showed us introductory safe handling and cleaning of our weapons and then one on one time at the range for a couple of two hour sessions for each of us. I feel this is more than we would have received in our one day CCW class. Of course there is, and always will be much more to learn, but we didn't want to go into our class knowing nada.
Most CCW courses are designed to be attended by people with only basic firearms experience. The only requirement for the one I took in Arizona was that you had to know how to operate the weapon you brought to take your qualification...and even then, the instructor said he'd take time during lunch to help anyone who might want some instruction on their particular firearm.

We had 25 people in our class. Half the class had a good amount of experience, the other half had almost none. Only one person failed the qualification the first try, then scored 100% on her second try (after some one on one instruction). You are more than qualified to take the class. Don't worry about it, with what you've done, you'll likely be more qualified than half your class.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:04 AM   #34
mitchntx

Wife and I shoot regularly, have permits carry only occasionally.

There are many places we frequent that have 30.06 signage and its a PITA to disarm and rearm each time.

I carry when the circumstances dictate ... very loose interpretation I admit.

However, a SD weapon is always close while at home or travelling.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:13 AM   #35
Gaerek

Quote:
I carry when the circumstances dictate
Just curious, what circumstance dictate you to carry?

For me, I don't know when I'll need it. I have to disarm at least twice a day during the week (dropping off, and picking up my daughter from school). It's not a huge hassle, that I've found, so I carry anywhere it's legal to do so.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:33 PM   #36
mitchntx

Quote:
Just curious, what circumstance dictate you to carry?
I guess you failed to see the "loose interpretation part" of that sentence ...

Easier to come up with circumstances where I know I won't carry ...

going out to restaurants where I know a 30.06 sign is posted.
work
scuba diving
airline flights

Quote:
For me, I don't know when I'll need it. I have to disarm at least twice a day during the week (dropping off, and picking up my daughter from school). It's not a huge hassle, that I've found, so I carry anywhere it's legal to do so.
Awesome!
Old December 12, 2012, 02:08 PM   #37
RedBowTies88

Quote:
I hope I don't open any cans of worms here, but how many own and shoot their guns just for the fact they love to shoot and don't carry for self defense purpose?

I don't carry... not becuase I don't want to, but becuase I live in a place where the 2nd ammendment doesn't apply.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:15 AM   #38
Gaerek

Quote:
I guess you failed to see the "loose interpretation part" of that sentence ...

Easier to come up with circumstances where I know I won't carry ...

going out to restaurants where I know a 30.06 sign is posted.
work
scuba diving
airline flights
Didn't fail to see it. Loose interpretation, to me, means "open to interpretation." In any case, it looks like your circumstances are essentially the same as mine...as in not carrying when I can't/or it's illegal to. That's all I wanted to know.
Old December 13, 2012, 02:04 PM   #39
Ben Towe

Carry virtually 24/7, go to the range when I can (generally when funds allow). I'm no champion shot with a pistol, but I can hit what I'm aiming at.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:49 PM   #40
Ajtozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88 View Post
I don't carry... not becuase I don't want to, but becuase I live in a place where the 2nd ammendment doesn't apply.
Ditto. I'm lucky I can go to the range without a cavity search.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:31 PM   #41
vito

Living in IL I can't carry at all while in this state (at least right now) but with my Utah and my non-resident PA permit I can carry when I travel to most adjacent states (WI, IN, IA, MO but not Michigan). I think carrying has to become a habit so that you don't feel conspicuous or overly self conscious of having a gun with you. I don't get to carry enough to yet reach that level of comfort. So I have only carried intermittently and usually only when making a significant road trip. I think that when we get concealed carry in IL I will carry daily, but that remains to be seen. Although I want to carry for that "just in case" situation, I must admit that despite being a senior citizen I have never actually been in a situation where I thought "Oh s***, I wish I had a gun with me". I wonder if some who carry do so for awhile, and then when some time has gone by and they have not needed a firearm, the hassle of carrying causes them to just stop doing so. Just speculating.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:40 PM   #42
4runnerman

Im worse than most- I own,shoot way to much,have a CCW but still don't carry
Old December 14, 2012, 07:44 PM   #43
jibberjabber

I intend to carry once it becomes legal to do so in my state (Illinois). For the time being, I will do what I can to prepare myself for taking on that responsibility. I've always approached firearms/shooting not so much as a playfull hobby, but as a necessary life-skill. As far as I'm concerned, becoming familiar with firearms is as important as getting a driver's license. Furthermore, as a parent I feel it is necessary to prepare myself as best i can for the job of protecting my family.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:56 PM   #44
8MM Mauser

I own guns, shoot about once a month or so, and do not carry.

It's mostly due to circumstances; I work about 45 hours a week, no guns allowed, am a full time college student, no guns allowed, and I have a 1 year old who uses me as a jungle gym, which probably woulndt be a problem given a good holster, but not worth taking the chance.

Also, quite frankly, I don't have the at least $700-800 bucks to lay out for a gun, license and carry system. (I have only one pistol: a 10 inch barrel Ruger Mk II target model.)

Truthfully, I doubt I will ever carry 24/7. I just don't know that I could make the time commitment. Also, I frequently go to so many places which prohibit carry it would end up as a car gun anyway...
Old December 14, 2012, 11:15 PM   #45
coldbeer

Been shooting most of my life I'm 43 and I'll probably never carry. I have no problem with people who carry it's just not for me.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:00 AM   #46
TheoShooter

As an Illinois resident we are not aloud to carry. If and when that changes, I will carry.