The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
msa1955

Dumbest Poachers of the day

Apparently the inside of the vehicle looked like something from a bad horror film. From the press release:

Deer Poachers Caught Red Handed

Date:November 20, 2012

On 11/18/12 at 2:18 pm, the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office was advised by Sacramento CHP of multiple 911 calls reporting a Tan Toyota SUV occupied by two Asian male subjects somewhere on Ponderosa Road near North Shingle that had a large amount of blood coming out of the back of the vehicle and the two occupants of the Toyota were trying to hide their faces as the driver was speeding away.

Multiple law enforcement officers converged on the area and the Toyota was spotted by an El Dorado County Sheriff's Office K9 unit, traveling westbound on Hwy 50 nearing the county line at a high rate of speed.

Not knowing exactly what they were dealing with, Deputies and CHP Officers conducted a felony stop on the car and detained the two occupants. Inside the Toyota was the carcass of a recently killed deer and there was an extensive amount of blood strewn about the interior of the car and on the two subjects.

Fish and Game Officers were requested and upon arrival, conducted their investigation. Evidently the two subjects illegally shot the spike male deer with a shotgun off Ponderosa Road, and after the deer collapsed, threw it in the back of the Toyota. Shortly thereafter, while driving away, the deer regained consciousness and began struggling. One or both of the subjects used an edged weapon to stab the deer until it finally died, leaving the car and it’s occupants spattered in blood, and blood dripping heavily out the back of the car.

Based on the findings of this investigation, 46 year old Scott Lee of Sacramento, and 32 year old Nai Saechao of Sacramento were arrested by Fish and Game Officers for violating multiple laws related to hunting, including Poaching, as well as felony Animal Cruelty.

Both subjects were booked into the El Dorado County Jail. They posted bail and were released later that night.

The link: http://www.edcgov.us/Government/Sher...ed_Handed.aspx
Old November 20, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
jmtbiggin

morons
Old November 20, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

incredible. At least they did not use the shotgun on the deer when it regained consciousness.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:42 PM   #4
David13

Those are some real idiots.
But there are dumber ones. Like where Fish & Game sets up a fake deer with a good rack near the side of a road. Along with some cameras.
And the idiots pull to the side of the road. And shoot at it.
dc
Old November 20, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Sounds more like an urban legend, than reality.

Quote:
Those are some real idiots.
But there are dumber ones. Like where Fish & Game sets up a fake deer with a good rack near the side of a road. Along with some cameras.
And the idiots pull to the side of the road. And shoot at it.
Today, the DWR was watching and keeping tabs on a herd of deer in my neighborhood, from an unmarked SUV. There were a small 3-point ("western" count ), a small 2-point, and a half-dozen does. Since all forms of hunting are illegal in this part of the county, the wardens were following the herd around in hopes of catching some idiot that decided to 'side-step' the law.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:01 PM   #6
David13

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=47355
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/je...0349ef591.html
Look for Clint Rogers in that one.
http://www.elitearchery.com/forums/s...video-Poaching
http://tipofiowa.org/articles/decoys.html
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...KING/111009924
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bizarr...t-robotic-deer

Anybody up for a bit of "urban legend". ???
Video included
dc
Old November 20, 2012, 11:10 PM   #7
SPEMack618

My favorite dumb poacher was related to me by sisters boyfriend...

Archery season, south Georgia.

My sister's boyfriend is at the deer cooler, waiting to get his deer process when the local Game Warden pulls up for a license check. The game Warden walks over to two fellows with a deer on a trailer behind a Ford Explorer.

Game Warden asks the boys why the deer has bullet holes in when it is archery only season. One of the fellows replies that he shot the deer to put it out of it's misery. Game Warden then proceeds to ask why the arrow is still in the deer and lodged in the trailer. Citations are issued and gun confiscated.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:19 PM   #8
msa1955

So much for urban legends:

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/...z/-/index.html
Old November 21, 2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A retired deputy sheriff, deputized as a game warden, set up a small RV trailer at a county road turnoff that led to several ranches. He took a truck-killed buck and after gutting it, stuffed it with hay and braced the legs. It was set up in a nearby pasture.

He made several night-time arrests, that season. We got some good laughs from the deal. One poacher not only emptied his rifle, he reloaded and kept shooting--puzzled as to why the deer did not go down.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:38 AM   #10
KMatch

1 show on TV many years ago showed a mechanical (rotating head) deer used to catch poachers taking bullet after bullet. What stood out was 1 idiot that shot it and when it didn't drop, he ran over it with his truck, all on camera. Too many years ago for me to remember the outcome. Anyone here see it and remember?
Old November 21, 2012, 04:59 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

David13....
I think you misunderstood, and believe my 'urban legend' comment was directed towards decoys and robotic deer for poaching stings.

That was not the case, and I really don't know why anyone would believe such. Setting up sting operations with decoy deer, robotic deer, and road-killed deer (with nice racks) are tactics commonly used all over the United States.

My second comment (after the quote) should have clearly illustrated that concept.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:25 PM   #12
msa1955

OK, maybe it's time to lighten up. Maybe the scene inside "dumbest poacher's" vehicle was something like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSFxlfuf9s
Old November 22, 2012, 12:49 AM   #13
Tex S

Felony animal cruelty... ouch.

Seems a bit harsh... even for these idiots.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:12 AM   #14
MLeake

No, it doesn't.

Because they chose to shoot the deer illegally in the first place, they then had to kill it in an extremely painful way - repeatedly stabbing it with utility knives, apparently.

If this had happened incident to a lawful hunt, and the supposedly dead deer had awakened, it would be different. That would be sad, but not criminal.

Their illegal act in the first place is what resulted in the messy way in which the deer was killed.

Tough luck for them.
Old November 23, 2012, 01:10 PM   #15
Gbro

Here is one DUMBER!

From,
Quote:
CO Randy Hanzal (Duluth) had several complaints of people shooting from the roadway that led to some deer decoy work in the area. The decoy proved to be very effective catching a repeat customer from a few years ago.
The Minnesota Game Wardens have a cook book that has a recipe for Decoy Deer. I have a call in to a friend that used to have the book, and we gifted one to a nephew that was tagged the first year Decoys were used in MN
He was "rOAD hUNTING' with a cousin when they came across the decoy and the cousin got out and tried to shoot the decoy but his rifle didn't fire, then my nephew jumps out and say's, "Let Me show you how its done" and Bang, then, Oh-O! Before they got turned around the CO had him and after issueing the citation he looked over at Tim and asked him what he was doing as they had it all on video and Tim said he was just looking at it thru the scope.
well Jeff didn't let that go so they split the fine.
When his wife went ballistic on him over the fine I told he not to leave his Dad out of the Flame, as that is who would rather road hunt than anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cookbook.JPG (15.0 KB, 62 views)
Old November 23, 2012, 06:52 PM   #16
hagar

AZ Game & Fish had fake deer that moved by remote control, they could move their head up and down and turn sideways. They also had a fake turkey that ran on a track. These were very lifelike and they caught lots of bad guys poaching them.
Old November 24, 2012, 12:09 AM   #17
sc928porsche

Cali DF&G take a dim view on poachers and write them up for everything that they can find or figure out. The Courts are tough on them too. Hunters must read and understand all the regulations. Those in violation are usually severely delt with. Especially in the land of the tree huggers.
Old November 24, 2012, 01:59 AM   #18
MLeake

I suspect these idiots would not have been treated kindly in Maine, Georgia, or Missouri, either. California isn't always wrong.
Old November 24, 2012, 03:10 AM   #19
Hawg

A buddy of mine hit a deer with his car and put it in his trunk. When he got home he opened the trunk and the now awake deer jumped out and ran down the street.
Old November 24, 2012, 11:01 AM   #20
Chuck Dye

Last I heard, most California courts confiscate all the tools of the crime in poaching cases, which can include over $100k in boat, trailer, tow vehicle, and SCUBA gear for out of season abalone. Hope these guys lose the vehicle, wonder what the discount will be for blood and damages when it is sold.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:20 AM   #21
shortwave

Quote:
Felony animal cruelty... ouch.

Seems a bit harsh... even for these idiots.
Living in an area that has/is hit hard by poaching, I have seen first-hand the toll poaching takes on the quality in a deer herd. Finding 3-4 rotting bucks in a pile with big holes blown in them by a high powered rifle(illegal to hunt deer in Ohio with a rifle) during our pre-rut/rut season, which is bow only and only their racks cut off(which is not uncommon), makes one want much harsher penalties for poaching.

My neighbor and his wife watched a bachelor group of very nice bucks this summer in his bean field next to his house. One of the largest bucks in this group was marked by a softball sized, white patch on his hip.
Just before our bow season started (last week of Sept) , this same buck was found in the ditch next to the road in front of neighbors field. Big hole in his side and his head had been cut off.

This happens multiple times every year in this area and the quality of the bucks in this area has really diminished in the last 8-10 years.

Personally,I wish a conviction of poaching would not only include the confiscation of all equipment used in the poaching act but be bumped up to a felony charge as well.
Old November 25, 2012, 05:03 PM   #22
12GaugeShuggoth

^^^^^^ +1 shortwave

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 26, 2012, 01:07 AM   #23
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Just before our bow season started (last week of Sept) , this same buck was found in the ditch next to the road in front of neighbors field. Big hole in his side and his head had been cut off.
Yep. As I've mentioned here before, I used to come across that all the time on Eglin AFB. The majority of the headless buck (or backstrap-less doe) carcasses were just outside city limits of the wonderful town of Holley.

Jackson Guard (land managers/rangers) claimed to have no idea why the deer were doing so poorly in that area, but anyone within 20 miles knew the problem was rampant poaching.
Old November 26, 2012, 01:47 AM   #24
youngunz4life

Quote:
I suspect these idiots would not have been treated kindly in Maine, Georgia, or Missouri, either. California isn't always wrong.
I could be wrong, but I could see a news story in some of the states listed stating the poachers got away(as in: if this incident didn't occur in California in the first place). One thing about California I have noticed is they are pretty heavy in the game of being on top of this stuff(in many varying facets dealing with wildlife/fish&game).
Old December 3, 2012, 10:22 AM   #25
Gbro

Here are a few more Dumbest Poachers of the day

From;
Quote:
1.CO Don Bozovsky (Hibbing) received a call about an advertisement on Craigslist regarding someone who wanted to trade a deer license for deer meat. The officer conducted a successful undercover trade, which was followed by a citation
With a little patients he might have caught the real poacher instead of some poor old bloke that likes a little venison and maybe unable to get out anymore.
But law's are laws!

Quote:
Fredin received a complaint of shooting from the road, and license plate number was given. The next night, CO Fredin was informed a fawn was shot from the road and the vehicle took off. The vehicle returned with the officer waiting nearby. It turns out the vehicle was the same as the previous night, and to top it off, the three occupants were the same three who shot from the road and were charged on opening weekend. The shooter was charged, and the firearm was seized.
Now this is the kind of pinch that needs to be dealt with! And what about the vehical?

Quote:
3.Enforcement action was taken on a man who tagged a deer with a fishing license, then failed to register the deer before processing it.

Quote:
4. CO Dan Malinowski (Fosston) reports one young hunter accidently tripped into a bear den and had to dispatch the angry bear.
Had a nephew that stumbled into a den but was to busy running to shoot!

Quote:
5.CO Shane Osborne (Evansville) received a TIP call on Sunday night about a deer hunter using a rifle in the shotgun zone. A hunter was found using a 12-gauge bolt-action shotgun, which appeared to look like a rifle.
Quote:
6.CO Sam Hunter (Park Rapids) and Officer Adam responded to a call from a landowner who believed hunters were shooting from the road and trespassing. An investigation resulted in a still very live deer being recovered from the suspect’s vehicle.
Good for the landowner!

Quote:
7.CO Nikki Shoutz (Pine River) reports a horse was shot by a deer hunter at a Pine River-area ranch. A firearm was seized, and a projectile was recovered from the dead horse, with charges pending results of the investigation.
Quote:
8.A wolf hunter who brought a wolf to a local taxidermist was not the same wolf hunter who tagged the timber wolf.
How many times is this going to happen? No party hunting!

Quote:
9. CO Dustie Heaton (Willow River) assisted CO Jeff Humphrey on a baiting case in which large piles of carrots were present throughout the property. Enforcement action was taken for hunting in a baited area, illegal party hunting, lending/borrowing deer tags,, and transporting illegally taken big game. Three bucks, a rifle, and a motor vehicle were seized as evidence. Heaton retrieved the firearm that was to be seized from a deer stand. Next to the rifle, she noted a book opened and face-down marking a page. The book had a pair of glasses resting on top of it. The title of the book was, “Poachers Caught.”
Will he get a complimentry copy of the next edition?

Quote:
10. CO Patrick McGowan (Hastings) and K9 Axel assisted with evidence recovery regarding a deer that was shot in a closed refuge, with K9 Axel finding a shell casing that showed the deer was shot within the closed area.
Got to police your brass you dumb @$$