The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 8, 2019, 09:51 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Stevens 325 peep sight problem

I fixed this rifle up for my grandson and now there's a bit of a problem. I bought a used peep sight for it and it fits but sits in rather close. When we got out to shoot it, it was shooting way to the right. I adjusted the sight all the way over but it's still shooting a little to the right.

What I need is about a 1/8th inch shim between the sight and the receiver but I don't know how to make the shim curved to match the space. Any suggestions?

I was thinking copper because it would deform easily but all I have on hand is aluminum and maybe some brass if I can find it...

Tony
Old July 9, 2019, 08:33 PM   #2
tango1niner

Have any machinist friends?
Old July 9, 2019, 11:15 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Get two pieces of hard wood (oak or maple). You can use (solid) scrap leftover from flooring material.

Cut a piece of cardboard such that it fits perfectly onto the round receiver. That becomes your pattern.

Now, with a rasp, round off one of the scraps so it matches the contour of your receiver. You may have to sand too.

Using the same pattern, carve out, rat-tail, file the wood to match the pattern.

When the two wood blocks are done, you should be able to place them together and have very little gap.

Now, get your 1/8" metal (remember the rule about two different metals placed against one another). Place the metal between the wood. I think an arbor press is better than a vise for this. Squeeze. That should give you the 1/8" shim you want.
Old July 10, 2019, 08:31 AM   #4
RKG

You can buy something called shim stock, which is basically a roll of steel tape of rather precisely controlled thickness.

1/8" is 0.125", or about 12 thou. Get some 4 thou shim stock, cut off three pieces, trim them to a size that will covered by the sight base (and drill mounting holes, if needed) and stack the three pieces under the sight base. As you draw down the mounting screws, the shim stock pieces will bend to conform to the receiver profile.
Old July 10, 2019, 01:57 PM   #5
Geezerbiker

I like the shim stock idea. It would also let me fine tune the sight so that it's more precisely centered.

Now to find a place to get it where I don't have to buy 10x+ more than I need.

Tony