The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2019, 08:21 AM   #1
ReloadKy

6.5 Creedmor reloading problems?

I do not have a 6.5 but my brother does. He started shooting Hornady precision hunter ammo with the 143 gr ELDX when he bought the rifle. we decided to reload some of the ELDX bullets ourselves to see how good we do. We made up 5 rounds. All cases were neck sized, checked for trim length (all were at 1.912), chamfer / deburred, primed and loaded. When he went to shoot 2 out of the 5 rounds would not chamber. They were loaded to 2.800 OAL. Becuase the OAL was close to max I decided the rifle (Browning X bolt) must have a short throat so I decided to push them down to 2.780 and they still would not chamber. I pulled the bullets and rechecked the trim length for the two cases that would not fire and they are well below max trim length. What is my problem here and what am I missing? I have never had this problem in any other rifle I have reloaded for.

Is there a way I can safely remove primers and start the process over from the beginning? The way I figure it I had to have made a mistake in the resizing process. Any help is much appreciated I am confused.
Old June 5, 2019, 09:07 AM   #2
Don Fischer

When you pulled out the one's that wouldn't go, were there marks around the ogive? If not then seating depth is not the problem. My first guess would be your getting into the crimp function on the die to much and blowing out the shoulder just a bit.
Old June 5, 2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Bart B.

Does a once fired new case rechamber easily?

If yes, then the reloading process is flawed. What type of die was used to neck size, full length or neck only?

Primers can be removed safely with a larger die moving the ram very slow. I have used a seating die with the decapping stem screwed in.

Last edited by Bart B.; June 5, 2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old June 5, 2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Jimro

It sounds like you might have pushed out the case shoulder a little bit in the seating process. A run through a body die would fix that right up.
Old June 5, 2019, 11:54 AM   #5
ReloadKy

Jimro got it. I finally got the "bright" idea to measure the case shoulder. It was not pushed out enough to really notice with the naked eye but it definitely is. Thanks for the suggestions. This is a great place to get suggestions on fixing issues I encounter.
Old June 5, 2019, 12:58 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...made up 5 rounds..."Isn't enough. Even though the bullets are the same, you still must work up the load.
How did you neck size 'em?
The shoulder issue is, like Jimro says, the seater die being down too far. Have a few .30-06 like that.
"...safely remove primers..." Just gently and slowly run 'em though the decapper.
Old June 5, 2019, 07:15 PM   #7
sako2

Remove the decapping pin and resize them.
Old June 5, 2019, 08:03 PM   #8
ReloadKy

sako I did exactly that earlier today. They chambered just fine. Problem solved.
Old June 6, 2019, 06:20 AM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

If your seating die crimps I would advise to back it off one and half turns. Then Adjust the seating stem to length. If it happens again run a fingernail from the base to the shoulder. If it catches on the shoulder you either have the seating die set too low and it is over crimping. Or your case mouth is too undersized for the bullet, and it pushes the shoulder down when the case mouth is forced down from seating an over sized bullet.