The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2019, 02:11 PM   #1
JDBerg

Define a Perfect Trigger Pull....

...a perfect trigger pull means that the front sight doesn’t move at all when you pull the trigger.

I read this in the latest Combat Handguns gun rag and it says a lot about the fact that the gun itself only gets you so far, the shooter has to hold up his end of the deal to properly ventilate the targets!
Old January 6, 2019, 02:17 PM   #2
mk70ss

Appropriately light weight pull for the intended purpose of the gun, break crisply, no overtravel.
Old January 6, 2019, 02:18 PM   #3
TXAZ

Thought controlled. No physical trigger movement.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 6, 2019, 02:48 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

I've owned guns with factory stock triggers that I used to win major shooting events. They were crisp, "decent" weight, and not too much if any travel. I've been shooting competition for many, many years and I've found that the trigger is given much more credit than it deserves. A bad trigger will destroy your ability to shoot really well. A decent trigger will allow a really good shooter to shoot really well. A fantastic trigger will only allow a really good shooter to shoot slightly better....maybe. I've had guys hand me their pride and joy and ask me to comment on their trigger. Some were so heavy they were rediculous, some were gritty, some had lots of travel. Yet these guys thought they were great. They weren't really good shooters and no trigger would have done much for them. Learn how to shoot really well and you can even do pretty decent with a less than stellar trigger.
Old January 6, 2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

Why don't we describe the Perfect woman while we are at it? I doubt many newbies that have never even fired a good double action would even have a clue what one is. And how many newbies read about light triggers and short resets on the internet AND THEN parrot those post.
Get out and shoot a lot of guns, Pistols and revolver and find what is BEST FOR YOU.
Old January 6, 2019, 04:44 PM   #6
AK103K

Its the one you never think about when you shoot.

Oh wait, thats all of them.
Old January 6, 2019, 06:37 PM   #7
GarandTd

I would imagine the perfect trigger varies from one shooter to the next, if it exists at all. I like the challenge of mastering the triggers of the guns I own and shoot. I don't view any of the triggers of guns I own to be good or bad, or perfect, just different. I will rise to the challenge because that is the type of person I am.
Old January 6, 2019, 07:25 PM   #8
Carl the Floor Walker

Find the best gun you can that fits all your needs. Try them out, shoot as many as you can, and then when chosen, become part of the gun. Let the gun become part of you. Become one with the gun. That will be your best trigger.
Shoot it often, diligent training. It will get to the point that all other triggers are just not in the same league. The time will come when you do not even think about the trigger. Your eyes, your hand, your finger, the gun, the sights, the trigger are just one.
Old January 6, 2019, 07:38 PM   #9
Nathan

Quit baiting me! Ok....perfect trigger = my Dan Wesson CCO 1911,but heck all my 1911’s are good enough. Basically, short take up...4-5 lb crisp pull and minimal follow through.

Sorry, no striker guns are crisp. I have made a Glock pretty good, my s&w Shield is quite good for its purpose ootb and XD’s I find serviceable. Still, you have to fancy the pull quality of a staple gun....
Old January 6, 2019, 08:25 PM   #10
pete2

I like 3-1/2# with a bit of a roll, rifle or pistol. Some like a 2# crispy trigger. To me my Henry with a 2-1/2# breaks like glass trigger seems heavier than 3-1/2# with slight roll. Scale don't lie tho.
Old January 6, 2019, 08:26 PM   #11
TxFlyFish

We could lay out the technique but it’ll be wrong in 5 years
Old January 6, 2019, 08:43 PM   #12
Siggy-06

A perfect trigger pull...I have a list of pistols I compare others against. For a striker polymer pistol: Walther PPQ. For a DA/SA: S&W Model 60 PC. SA only: Springfield 1911 with a short blade trigger(one that has had many rounds through it). I dont ever buy a pistol with dry firing it a few times. I really like the XD mod 2 subcompact, it felt excellent in my hand and the stock FO sights were nice, but the trigger was mush.
Old January 6, 2019, 10:36 PM   #13
Nathan

Quote:
a bit of a roll
What is that? Creep?
Old January 7, 2019, 02:10 AM   #14
10-96

Seems to me that the perfect combat, 3-gun, or NRA Conventional Match triggers would all have their own definition of "perfect". A worked over S&W 52 or a Feinwerkbau AW93 trigger would be a horrible idea in few places other than bullseye.

I noticed the OP mentioned "Combat Handgun rag..." and wondered if he meant in a specific role, or in general?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 7, 2019, 09:06 AM   #15
Skans

In Double-action, about 6 pounds, smooth, no stacking and fairly short trigger pull; in single action, about 4 pounds, no creep no takeup. I'm describing a da/sa trigger since that's what I like best.
Old January 7, 2019, 09:34 AM   #16
Nathan

Quote:
Double-action, about 6 pounds, smooth, no stacking and fairly short trigger pull;
What gun has that?
Old January 7, 2019, 10:49 AM   #17
USNRet93

When ya pull it aft it makes the gun go bang?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 7, 2019, 10:52 AM   #18
pete2

I don't know if the "roll" is creep or not. To me creep is more like a Glock trigger. Roll is very smooth, more like the last .002" of a good D/A revolver trigger. You just concentrate on the front sight and it goes bang, no jerk, no snap, just goes off.
Old January 7, 2019, 10:58 AM   #19
Winny

A crisp break and a quick reset.

I like the idea of the front sight staying still, though. That has a lot to do with the shooter.

The reset is more of an after thought, but I've had some guns with looonnnng resets on them where I missed the reset altogether in rapid fire.

Nothing makes you feel dumber than trying to pull a trigger that hasn't reset
Old January 7, 2019, 11:15 AM   #20
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg
a perfect trigger pull means that the front sight doesn’t move at all when you pull the trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny
I like the idea of the front sight staying still, though. That has a lot to do with the shooter.
Sounds good, but pretty vague, since the hammer/striker can give the muzzle a whack, even if the trigger and/or shooter are perfect.

The old standbys - consistency, overtravel, and creep - seem pretty good criteria when discussing the quality of the actual trigger itself.
Old January 7, 2019, 11:32 AM   #21
Skans

Quote:
What gun has that?
I wish I knew! I simply described what my perfect trigger would be; I didn't say that I found such a thing.

The best DA/SA trigger I've ever experienced is that of my Tanfoglio Stock I 10mm. It has the least amount of take-up and breaks cleanly for a DA/SA trigger. Not bad in double-action either. By far superior to any other DA/SA trigger I've ever experienced; and that's without any upgrades from Henning.
Old January 7, 2019, 12:47 PM   #22
Pahoo

My thoughts

Quote:
Appropriately light weight pull for the intended purpose of the gun, break crisply, no overtravel.
I would add no creep to this list. Creep is smoothness and no noticeable travel. A bad example would be someone with arthurites in his fingers.

A perfect trigger would be one that meets or exceeds my expectation. In a revolver, that would be a Colt Python. In a Semi-auto, that would be a Smith-41. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old January 7, 2019, 05:21 PM   #23
stinkeypete

1. It’s a surprise when the round goes off when you wanted to fire but it but never goes off when you didn’t want to fire.

2. Pulling the trigger shouldn’t affect your point of aim and should break so suddenly that any flinch is all on you!

3. 1911
Old January 7, 2019, 05:49 PM   #24
Rangerrich99

Definition of a perfect trigger pull as per Webster's: see Jerry Miculek shooting anything.
Old January 7, 2019, 06:27 PM   #25
JJ45

Breaks like a glass rod snapping good luck!