The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 14, 2019, 03:32 PM   #1
Akgeezer

Savage Accutrigger

Looking to add a 17 HMR or 22 MAG to my collection. I'm looking pretty hard at either the Savage 93R17 series or the newer B series rifles. I'm leaning towards the 17 caliber. I can pick up a 93 without the Accutrigger for $70.00 less than the same rifle with it. I like the idea of an adjustable trigger, if it is truly superior to the standard trigger. The B series all have the Accutrigger. So, for those who have experience with the rifles with and without an Accutrigger, please give me your opinion. If you have a preference to the two models, let me know. I will use the rifle primarily for target practice.
Old March 14, 2019, 04:09 PM   #2
kilotanker22

Accutrigger is absolutely superior to the standard trigger. In my opinion
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 14, 2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Rimfire5

You'll get lots of pros and cons on this thread.

There are actually three different Accu-triggers:
1) Target - that comes marked on the receiver with a warning as "Precision Target Accu-Trigger" and has a red tab instead of the silver colored tab. It is adjustable down to 6 oz.
My 12 LRP 6.5mm Creedmoor came from the factory set at 10 oz.
2) LE/Varmint Accu-trigger that comes on the law enforcement or Varmint series models and is adjustable down to 1.5 lbs.
3) Standard Accu - trigger is adjustable down to 2.5 lbs.

I personally have all LE/Varmint triggers with the exception on the one Target Accu- trigger.
I really like them and have shot over 20,000 rounds using them.

Some people, who press on the side of the trigger instead of pressing it straight back have found problems with the trigger locking.
In order to set the trigger so light, Savage has designed the trigger to lock up if the trigger is jostled from the side. If you don't pull straight back on the lever, the trigger will lock.
Some people who loosen the adjustment spring to get minimum pull may find that the trigger becomes even more sensitive to side pressure.
If you stay within the limits, I find that I don't have problems.

One of my many LE/Varmint Accu-triggers loosened up after about 2,000 rounds and got sensitive to side pressure and eventually would lock if I was rough with the bolt lever. I tightened it up to 2 lbs., where I had originally set it, put a dab of loc-tite on it, and it has been great ever since.

IMO, the LE/Varmint Accu-triggers are great triggers and I really like the Target model.
Using the Accu-trigger, when they are set to the same trigger pull, I can move from rifle to rifle with no problems. All of them feel the same when set to the same pull.
I have found that not having to change my set up or technique between rifles has really helped my consistency and has resulted in smaller average group sizes.
Old March 14, 2019, 04:44 PM   #4
stinkeypete

$70 is less than 6 boxes of hmr ammo. Just a perspective.
Old March 14, 2019, 04:45 PM   #5
RC20

Nice to see someone knows the acu triggers (not widely understood that there are 3 types) )

just add that you can change a Hunting acu trigger to a Varmint with a spring change.

Target is unto itself and I am sorry I can't just buy it.

I either have the Varmint or converted and I like it. I have not changed them other than the spring as I see no benefit. Its about $100 for an aftermarket trigger.

Its a reason I have no use for Remington, their trigger is crappy and needs to be changed so add $100 to the cost if you are into precision.

Its an ok hunting trigger.
Old March 14, 2019, 06:30 PM   #6
2wheelwander

I have the accu trigger on my Savage .17 WSM and I really like it.
Old March 14, 2019, 07:24 PM   #7
jmr40

Either trigger can be adjusted to the same pull weight and feel. The Accutrigger is a DIY adjustable trigger. The standard trigger may need a gunsmith. The blade in the middle of the accutrigger is there to help prevent the trigger from moving on it's own if someone adjusts it too light.

Winston Churchill
Old March 14, 2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Akgeezer

Yeah, I think for the difference in cost, I'd better get the Accutrigger model. Don't want to have that buyer's remorse later. I always just try to get by as cheap as reasonably possible. Call me a tight a$$, but I have to live with momma. And you know, if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy! Now I have to decide between the 93 or the "B" model. For what I'm looking at, the B17 FV (synthetic stock) is less than $10 more than the 93R17 (hardwood stock). Decisions.........
Old March 14, 2019, 11:50 PM   #9
M88

I have a Savage B17 (.17HMR) and also a B22 (.22 WMR) and I love the Accutrigger in both of them. Don't compromise... like stinkeypete says, by the time you buy couple hundred rounds of ammo you paid for the better trigger. If you are like me and keep your rifles forever, you'll wish later you had spent that little extra. BUT... never want to tell somebody how to spend their money, that's up to you.
Old March 15, 2019, 12:29 AM   #10
taylorce1

I'm not sold on the Accutrigger in the rimfire, and remember the Accutrigger for the rimfire is different than the centerfire triggers and not available in the same options. I have an non-Accutrigger 93 .22 WMR, and some polishing with 1200 grit sandpaper smoothed the trigger bearing surfaces right up. It's pretty consistently minute of prairie dog out to 200 yards with CCI 30 grain TNT ammo. I definitely don't feel handicapped by my non-accutrigger rifle.
Old March 15, 2019, 06:51 AM   #11
jpx2rk

I have a 93r17 with gray laminate stock with the accu trigger, solid gun. I have 3 Savage FV12's with accu-trigger, I like 'em, work good on punching paper and pdogs.
Old March 15, 2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Josh Smith

Hello,

I modified the Accutrigger using a Rifle Basix trigger on my MkII. It's superior in quality to that which came on the rifle.

https://riflebasix.com/product-category/savage-arms/

Looking at their website, I see they now also have an aftermarket sear. The OEM has parting lines on it... and they're not even. I'm gonna have to replace that too, since it's available, dammit

Regards,
Josh
Old March 15, 2019, 09:19 AM   #13
NoSecondBest

Spend a hundred bucks on either a Rifle Basix or Timney trigger and install that in your gun. They are really simple and easy to put in and you get a much better trigger for your gun. I don't think the Accutrigger is bad, it's just that either of the other triggers is better.
Old March 15, 2019, 11:29 AM   #14
ifithitu

Thanks for sharing the link Josh.
Old March 15, 2019, 09:12 PM   #15
Siggy-06

I got to try a Savage 93r17 with the accutrigger side by side with my CZ 455 today. While the 455 triger was a bit lighter and better, the accutrigger on the Savage was still pretty great. I’d be happy with either one. The stock on the Savage left a lot to be desired though...
Old March 16, 2019, 08:00 AM   #16
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22
Accutrigger is absolutely superior to the standard trigger. In my opinion
And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I had the Target Accutrigger on my model 12FTR and absolutely HATED it (and i'm not a super fussy guy with factory triggers). Very imprecise, and lack of differentiation feel when transitioning from the secondary take up to the primary break. I also had issues when wearing thin gloves in the cold , some slop in the blade would allow my safety block sear to prematurely engage. You need to pull the accutriggers rearward perfectly straight . The SLIGHTEST lateral movement in the blade causes the sear block to trip. Maybe the standard (non target) versions perform more reliably but this is just my experience with mine.
Old March 16, 2019, 11:30 AM   #17
jetinteriorguy

I have a model 12FV and liked the varmint trigger, but felt like I wanted something a little lighter. So I put in a Timney. It was a bit tricky for me to get the Timney set light enough but also set so it wouldn't go off when shutting the bolt hard. I finally just added a little bit extra take up so I could keep it as light as I wanted and still remain safe. I don't mind the slightly extra take up since the trigger is very smooth and has a crisp let off with almost no over travel. Once I got it set right I do like the Timney better, but to be honest I could have saved the money and been perfectly happy with the Accutrigger in retrospect.
Old March 16, 2019, 12:36 PM   #18
RC20

Quote:
Either trigger can be adjusted to the same pull weight and feel. The Accutrigger is a DIY adjustable trigger. The standard trigger may need a gunsmith. The blade in the middle of the accutrigger is there to help prevent the trigger from moving on it's own if someone adjusts it too light.
That wouild be wrong.

A hunting acu goes down to 2.5 lbs

A varmint goes down to 1.5 lbs.

You don't need a gunsmith to do a Hunter to a Varmint, you just need a $7 spring.

The target goes to 8 oz but has a different sear.
Old March 16, 2019, 12:38 PM   #19
RC20

There may be better (have not tried any)

I am shooting under 1/2 MOA with mine. I put a couple of 10x shots into a 3/8 and 5/8 group last week.

7 x in another group of 3/8.

I have done some 1/4 MOA and a shade better in 5 X.

I don't think I have reached the limits of what it can do, what I can do yes. But I keep getting better. At one time under 3/4 MOA was good for me.
Old March 16, 2019, 12:41 PM   #20
RC20

Quote:
And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I had the Target Accutrigger on my model 12FTR and absolutely HATED it (and i'm not a super fussy guy with factory triggers). Very imprecise, and lack of differentiation feel when transitioning from the secondary take up to the primary break. I also had issues when wearing thin gloves in the cold , some slop in the blade would allow my safety block sear to prematurely engage. You need to pull the accutriggers rearward perfectly straight . The SLIGHTEST lateral movement in the blade causes the sear block to trip. Maybe the standard (non target) versions perform more reliably but this is just my experience with mine.
While the poster is of course entitled to an opinion, I don't think that is the right way to say it.

I think the right way is that it suits some and not others.

Presenting your reasons for not liking it is the right approach, Then others can read and see if it resonates.

The nice thing is you can get it at no cost and then if you don't like it throw away $100 to get what you think you might like (grin)

Of course you may NOT like that either!

Me, I shot down to 5 deg (granted we have overhead heaters that take some chill off) I shoot at those low temps with a knit glove (light one)

I have no problems. I do know too low a setting can be an issue with the side ways motion

I had one that took a bit of checking to find out why it was tripping - I found the stock was interfering with the trigger and once that was relieved it was fine.

I like good triggers. I won't insist its the best, just that its a very good one for an OEM (the best so far)

Some don't like the blade, it does not bother me so that is a preference thing again. Kind of two stage or pre set to me.

You won't know if you like a different trigger until you try it (some have been unhappy with the RB and Timney) so you can be out $100 and still unhappy. Such is life.

Last edited by RC20; March 16, 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old March 16, 2019, 01:10 PM   #21
BigBL87

I have a two rifles with Accutriggers, a Mark II FV and a 10 FCP. I've been very happy with both and they are probably the best stock triggers I've used. Haven't bothered measuring their weights and didn't adjust them because I was pretty happy with them as is. To be fair, I'm not remotely a trigger snob (don't mean that in a bad way, just saying I'm not as picky as many are).