The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 10, 2019, 05:40 PM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Chucking lead rounds out of ARs is possible, but has its issues.
*cough* .300 Blackout *cough*
Old March 11, 2019, 05:04 PM   #27
stephen426

Me: Hi... My name is Stephen and I'm an ammo hoarder.

AHA Group (Ammo Hoarders Anonymous): "When is the last time you bought ammo Stephen?"

Me: Its been 2 months and 3 days since I've bought ammo.

LOL

Seriously speaking, I probably have well over 10,000 rounds of 9mm. We probably go through 200-300 at our practical shoots.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:18 PM   #28
1MoreFord

Apparently the OP and the author of his posted video don't remember the ammo shortages during the last couple of Democratic Presidencies. I got caught flat footed during the first one and was finally able to recover. Never again.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:29 PM   #29
PhotonGuy

Quote:
What are your thoughts PhotonGuy other than finding the opinion of the video interesting?

Do you agree or disagree with the premise?

As others have stated, they find the premise off base to what many of us consider when we manage our ammunition inventory. Many of us have a lot of various firearms in different calibers. I, too, remember the shortage between President Obama's first and second term. It was right after the elementary school shooting.

I happened to see clearly through my crystal ball and ordered a considerable quantity of various powders and primers just prior to the shortage hit hard. It saved me from having to go through the drought many other suffered.

Therefore, I found the video lacking in its rationale.
I've got thousands of rounds saved up myself. I do agree with what the video says at the very end to stockpile as much ammo as you want to. The video talks about self defense, hunting, militia activities, and using ammo for bartering. I agree with the video about bartering with guns and/or ammo being a very bad idea and its not something I would ever see myself doing, particularly since it can be used against you in a crisis. Self defense might not require that many rounds per incident but in a crisis situation you don't know just how many incidents you will have and they do add up. Hunting also would not require much ammo for a seasoned hunter, the last time I went hunting I got a gator and a hog and I fired a total of six rounds, one rifle round and two handgun rounds for the gator and one rifle round and two handgun rounds for the hog. As for militia activities that I think would require lots of ammo if for any reason practice. I've been to many shooting classes and in most of my shooting classes I've fired hundreds of rounds per class. That is one thing the video did not cover and the main reason why I store up so much ammo, I will need to practice and keep my shooting skills up and in a crisis if I have a really hard time getting any more ammo I will at least have lots stored up so I can use it.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:32 PM   #30
PhotonGuy

Quote:
Same guy that did this video, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc&t=519s
Yes I saw that video too and he does make a good point about the .454 Casull round being a good, powerful round which can penetrate class IIIA body armor which even the .44 Magnum can't. I went and got myself a .454 Casull handgun although I got a Ruger Super Redhawk not a Taurus. I would not spend money on a Taurus.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:35 PM   #31
PhotonGuy

Quote:
Like others have said, I don’t expect a long siege. Ammunition stockpiles are for fun only. If I need more than a magazine full as a civilian, I’m probably not going to live long enough to see the end of a second or third 30rd magazine.
I don’t even carry a spare pistol mag. If I don’t get myself out of the dangerous situation with one magazine, then I’ll accept my fate. The one time in my life that I should’ve had a gun on me, I didn’t .... I still came alive, although not unscathed.
Well I believe police officers typically carry a handgun with a fully loaded magazine as well as two extra fully loaded magazines although Im not sure just how many police officers are ever involved in firefights in their entire careers. If you feel you can get by on just one fully loaded magazine in your handgun than good for you.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:38 PM   #32
PhotonGuy

Quote:
There is a goofy TV show titled The Walking Dead. This season they are now presumably in year 10 of the zombie apocalypse. They have finally run out of gasoline and have resorted to non-firearm weapons because they are finally out of bullets.
Haven't seen it that far, I believe I've only seen up to season 4. Anyway even from the beginning not everybody was relying on guns, there was Michonne who was using a samurai sword and that guy who was using a crossbow.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:40 PM   #33
PhotonGuy

Quote:
I think ammo droughts and stockpiling make a good case to especially bulk up on .22LR, 9mm and .223 since they are some of the less expensive cartridges in their categories.
I've got a good supply of .22LR and 9mm but not .223 as I prefer 5.56
Old March 12, 2019, 07:39 AM   #34
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonGuy View Post
Well I believe police officers typically carry a handgun with a fully loaded magazine as well as two extra fully loaded magazines although Im not sure just how many police officers are ever involved in firefights in their entire careers. If you feel you can get by on just one fully loaded magazine in your handgun than good for you.
Well, police look for 'bad guys with a gun'(LEOs are there in investigate crimes, not just be a innocent bystander) and us civilians, don't really...so it makes sense that LEO(and military) carry more than one magazine..

"Tools not Trophies”