The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 1, 2019, 07:10 PM   #1
montana09

AR-15 pistol build question

I'm looking to build an AR-15 pistol. I've built multiple rifles, first pistol build. I've got a 10.5" barrel with an Aero-Precision upper and plan to put a Troy Claymore on it. the Claymore is 2.23" long according to specs. I would really like to put an Aero-Precision Atlas S-One forend on it but they only come in 9" which I'm not a fan of or 12". The linear comp would fit inside the forend no problem and since the gas is all directed forward there's no need to worry about splitting the rail, but I'd like the muzzle to stick out at least a sliver and am not sure it will with the 12" rail. Has anyone tried this or something similar before? If so any pics? Thanks
Old March 2, 2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Mobuck

Generally speaking, the barrel and hand guard start close to the same place on the upper receiver so barrel length + muzzle device length - interface(the threaded connection between barrel and MD-about 1/2') should be approx the same as the overall HG length.
Having an open sided MD enclosed within the HG may cause some serious noise transmission and heat.
Old March 2, 2019, 11:47 AM   #3
montana09

Thanks, but the MD is a linear comp, all of the gas is directed straight forward there are no holes in the sides or top at all only straight out
Old March 2, 2019, 12:54 PM   #4
kymasabe

I come up with 10.5+2.23, less the threaded end of the barrel....is gonna be close, but I think it'll work and I suspect you'll have about .25 inch of comp sticking out the end. I say go for it, odds are in your favor.
Old March 2, 2019, 01:08 PM   #5
montana09

kymasabe I came up with that too haha and was going to pull the trigger, but I posted the comment on another forum and a guy sent me a picture just a bit ago of one he did with the Claymore on an 11.5" barrel and 12" Aero Precision and the Claymore barely cleared the handguard. Apparently even though the title says 12" handguard, if you read the specs they're actually 12.5"
Old March 2, 2019, 01:36 PM   #6
imashooter

If you're dead set on that particular comp, you could install a threaded spacer / extender between muzzle and comp.