The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 19, 2019, 12:35 PM   #1
stagpanther

Mossberg discontinues 375 Ruger patriot wood stock

Called Mossberg today looking for some detailed specs on my 375 ruger patriot with walnut laminate stock and marinetec barrel--only to be told they've been discontinued. Wow! It is a hard-hitting recoil for a lightweight rifle--but there are plenty others in the big 5 DG category that are known for thump as well. They told me they will continue to offer the synthetic stock one for the time being. I was also told they see more support for things in the 338 magnum class (though my understanding is that pretty much eliminates them from "legal" DG category in many areas).
Old March 20, 2019, 02:55 PM   #2
taylorce1

It's all about sales numbers, the majority of people aren't looking for a dangerous game rifle. As far as I know there isn't much of a caliber restriction on hunting big bears in AK. 9.3 is the minimum caliber for some countries in Africa, while .375 is in others. Plus what's legal and what actually gets used may be two entirely different things in Africa. I'm not saying the Mossberg Patriot is a bad rifle, but most people who can afford these dangerous game hunts aren't going to use a $400 rifle.
Old March 20, 2019, 03:01 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm not saying the Mossberg Patriot is a bad rifle, but most people who can afford these dangerous game hunts aren't going to use a $400 rifle
True--but I'm guessing it would at least make a dandy back-up. I think it's worth probably twice the price they are asking (or did ask)--I'm wondering if maybe they simply got squeezed in their own low-cost entry point.
Old March 20, 2019, 03:08 PM   #4
taylorce1

Not at all, most people looking for a DGR for actual DG hunts are looking at a double rifle or CRF. I'm not saying that either rifle type will perform any better than the Mossberg on DG, but it isn't perceived as the ideal DG action type. I built my .375 Ruger on a PF M70 and caught a lot of flak for it on the forums, but hey I like it!
Old March 20, 2019, 03:51 PM   #5
stagpanther

Makes sense.
Old March 23, 2019, 01:27 PM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
True--but I'm guessing it would at least make a dandy back-up. I think it's worth probably twice the price they are asking (or did ask)--I'm wondering if maybe they simply got squeezed in their own low-cost entry point.
No, it's as earlier stated, people who hunt with that cartridge don't buy budget rifles. Who carries the back up rifle? A professional. A well accomplished, best of the best, professional. Doubt he is looking for cheap tools.
Old March 23, 2019, 01:29 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
I built my .375 Ruger on a PF M70 and caught a lot of flak for it on the forums, but hey I like it!
Push feed is as reliable as controlled feed unless you are trying to shoot it while hanging upside down by your ankles.
Old April 7, 2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Push feed is as reliable as controlled feed unless you are trying to shoot it while hanging upside down by your ankles.
My M700 works fine even then.

By the time the cartridge comes out of the feed lips, it is too far down the chamber to get past the bolt.

The concern is a dbl. feed - if the round is not snapped under the extractor and the bolt is recycled - as in blind panic mismanagement.
(which happens w/ DG)

Red.