The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 14, 2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Famas

Question about Century C39V2 AK-47

Hello - Two weeks ago I noticed a Century made AK-47 variant selling a the C39V2 "Zhukov". It's biggest feature are the Magpul features and side-folding stock. It's a very interesting look, and I kind of like it.

I searched many reviews, the magazine-featured article kind of reviews...they all say they like it. Then I read accounts from users who say that anything touched by Century should be avoided, and some even mentioned they've experienced breech expansion, most likely due to poorer quality metals. (Korea manufacture?)

Any advice? The store in question is welling to sell me one new-in-box for $800. Thanks!
Old March 14, 2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Ignition Override

Famas: Maybe you've read reports of premature wear on the C39's bolt. A number of these reports are first-hand accounts, as you might realize. I won't go into the RAS or VSKA problems (@ 2,500-3,500 rds.).

Whether this was after 2,000, possibly 3,000 etc rounds, I can't remember. Naturally most people won't use this much ammo, but will they (later) be able to sell/trade them to the Next Guy, who can only imagine how many rds. were already used?

You probably know that the RH-10, produced by Cugir in Romania --with milspec-quality steel components-- seems to be much more durable, along with the WASR 10s manufactured (in Romania) from 2008.
The RH-10 now retails for $650 or less, and we know that WASRs are not much more.

The high quality steel and assembly used in Romanian "AKs" is Exactly why, when WASRs briefly became totally inaccessible by our retail shops (they could Not order them) three years ago, Fortunately found a Romanian (SAR-1) on Armslist TN. Added three more imported AK brands to the Romy. Anybody can produce a gun which functions well for a while when brand-new and "looks so purdy".

Good luck with your decision. I don't know about other people, but my rifles must be as durable & reliable as my CZ 'PCR', Russian .380 Mak., and German-proofed Sig handguns (& new M&P .22, Ruger Mark IV).

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 14, 2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old March 20, 2019, 11:03 AM   #3
veprdude

I had a C39V2. It had a great finish and everything was tight on it. Sights were spot on- no canting. I probably put a few hundred rounds through it without a hiccup. Very accurate too for the AK platform. I traded it off because I prefer the rugged AKs and wood furniture. If I'm going to get a milled gun in 7.62x39 with a nice finish, I'd go with a AR style in that caliber for less money.

The appeal of an AK is just that. The C39V2s are nice but are bridging the gap between the AR and AK and you always have the optics issue on an AK.

I think the original C39s had issues.
Old March 20, 2019, 11:14 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Avoid the Century C39V2, RAS-47, and VSKA and get a quality imported rifle.

For $800, you can buy a superior WASR, a Zhukov stock for it (or not - I have a Zhukov on one rifle and there's nothing exceptional about it), and have a few bucks left over for ammo.
Old March 20, 2019, 03:30 PM   #5
MC 1911

Heed the warnings!