The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 12, 2019, 01:49 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

New FAL owner

So my recent visit to my parents' place ended with my dad giving me his old FN FAL. He's had it since I was a teenager and I've always loved it. It was the reason I got the SCAR-17 about 7 years ago. Granted, I like my SCAR more, but the FAL has a big place in my heart.
That being said, I'm a guy who always looks for ways to improve guns I get. I don't keep anything "as is" if there are ways to improve. It already has a DS Arms picatinny rail on the receiver for an optic and an Ergogrip pistol grip. I just ordered a DS Arms aluminum M-Lok handguard and I plan on putting a Primary Arms 2.5x Prism Scope on it for an optic. Any other suggestions for improvements? Trigger? Buttstock?
I saw Magpul makes a PRS type of stock for the FAL, but I think it'll add a lot more weight than I want. If I was going to put a good scope on it and make it a long range shooter, I would get that stock. But I plan on shooting it mostly off hand at targets out in the desert. I don't want it to be a strictly bench gun.
Old March 12, 2019, 10:38 PM   #2
Ignition Override

Congratulations on acquiring the FAL. All of my twelve guns have been kept in the original configurations, other than two "non-slap" trigger groups just ordered for two of my four AKs.

My only solution for anything is very frequent practice. I've never owned any scope or red dot etc. Never wanted a rail or scope mount on the M-1 Garands, Yugo Mauser, FR8, SKS etc.
Hope that cool rifle is fun to shoot.

Didn't both the British and Argentines use them in the Falklands Conflict? I'm aware that many countries used them-----

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 13, 2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old March 13, 2019, 07:04 AM   #3
highpower3006

If you've got a real FN FAL, the best "improvement" you could do to it is leave it alone. Genuine FN's command serious money on the market and by fiddling with it you take the risk of messing up the value. I do understand that for you it no doubt has sentimental value, but the FAL is an old design and IMO they are best appreciated in their stock form.

If you really, really want a .308 caliber rifle to hang all sorts of modern junk on, get a AR10 of some sort and modify that to your heart's content. I resisted the AR10 bug for a long while until I finally succumbed, even though I have less than $600 in mine (not counting optics), It will out shoot my old Aussie SLR any day of the week.
Old March 13, 2019, 07:46 AM   #4
zeke

highpower3006 pretty much nailed it. Excellent rifle to practice your use of open sights, doesn't need any batteries and very reliable. Likely it won't be a tack driver, and was never intended to be. It was developed as a dependable and powerful battle rifle.

Like everyone should have a lever 30-30, the lucky have a FAL.
Old March 13, 2019, 11:29 AM   #5
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Genuine FN's command serious money on the market and by fiddling with it you take the risk of messing up the value
Agreed, but mine is a parts build gun. Most of the parts are Belgium and the receiver is American. Definitely not one of those high $$ pre-ban FALs.

I'm plenty fine with open sights. I can hit torso targets all day with the open sights at 100-200 yards. My eyesight isn't what it used to be though, so I'm still going to add the 2.5x optic.

My biggest question is still the trigger. I saw DS Arms makes a trigger, but I'm not sure if it's just stock or if it's actually an improved trigger.

Quote:
Didn't both the British and Argentines use them in the Falklands Conflict? I'm aware that many countries used them-----
I'm no history expert, so correct me if I'm wrong. But yes, both sides used the FAL. First conflict where both sides used the same firearm. I think the only difference was the British used semi-automatic and the Argentines used fully automatic.
Old March 13, 2019, 11:36 AM   #6
rickyrick

I’ve got a beautiful wood FAL. I think it looks very nice. Never had the desire to put a scope on it.
I had good hopes for it, but never became a favorite of mine. Kinda like driving the old truck version of guns.
It does function and shoot just like you’d expect a demilled and refurbished battle rifle would.
I like it and think it’s cool, and I’m gonna hold on to it. Shooting it was only “meh” for me.

I’m really just mixed about it and this isn’t meant to disparage your new acquisition.
Old March 13, 2019, 02:31 PM   #7
HiBC

Its your gun. You don't have to listen to me.

I will agree that some guns are best in original form and some others make a better "Barbie Doll" to dress up.

IMO,an AR-10 type rifle is a better place to start.

The FAL is a fine example of a major caliber battle rifle as is. I had one built on a DSA receiver with an STG-58 kit. The iron sights are pretty good. IMO,the torso targets aren't that hard to hit at 600 meters.The gun and sights will do their part.I had an original British military optic,I think "SUIT" was the acronym. And I had a DSA flat top dust cover I put a Leupold 2-8 mil dot on.

My attempts to improve the trigger did not work out. It would shoot a pretty good sub 2 MOA 5 shot group,actually closer to 1.5 MOA.Then the barrel and the gas system uneven expansion caused the POI to walk.

If,instead of just driving to a range,you actually walk,carrying the beast with a few steel 20 rd mags....its heavy.

My DPMS LR 308 L showed up weighing 7.9 lbs,had a picatinny flat top an excellent trigger,a free float graphite forend,and it was more accurate than the FAL.

I'm not knocking the FAL,I'm just saying,IMO,return on investment,performance wise,the AR-10 is a better go if you want a Barbie Doll with modern features.

I wouldn't Barbie Doll a Garand,either. Or a Shelby AC Cobra,or a BSA Gold Star.

And,IMO,its not about it being a parts gun,either. They were all built from parts,in the original factory or not. An FAL that is what it is is just fine.
Old March 13, 2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Ignition Override

TrueBlue711:
And in the Winter War, both Finnish and Soviet troops used the Mosin Nagant.
Incidentally, maybe you know that the success of the Finns against the Soviets helped Hitler convince himself that the much larger German Army could also beat the Soviets (he ignored the vastly different situation).
Old March 23, 2019, 05:40 PM   #9
R.FORTE

Does DSA still ship receivers in 6 months or more? Last time I ordered it took forever
Old March 24, 2019, 08:15 AM   #10
Line Rider

We need pictures
Old March 24, 2019, 08:44 AM   #11
Bearstopper

Magpul stocks look nice but are not very durable especially in cold weather. I consider them a downgrade because of that.
Old March 25, 2019, 02:06 PM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm a guy who always looks for ways to improve guns I get. I don't keep anything "as is" if there are ways to improve.
I'm with the other guys here. If you already own a SCAR-17, I'd just leave the FAL alone and enjoy her as she is. I doubt you'd be "improving" anything, and you just might find that you enjoy and appreciate it more without "tacticooling" it up.