The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 24, 2019, 12:38 PM   #1
kymasabe

AR carbine handguard loose ??

Question for those of you that have M4geries.
I recently messed with a complete upper I had, was a PSA upper with nitrided barrel, but I wanted a lighter upper so... I pulled the barrel out of the receiver, mounted it all in an Anderson slick-side upper receiver, and I replaced the basic Magpul MOE handguard with the Bravo PKMR handguard like the one on the Springfield Saint.
The problem is...the handguard rotates a little left and right, and when it does, I see the delta ring move a little as well. I've replace plenty of handguards and usually install Magpul MOE SL's and I don't remember any of them moving at all.
Yes, the barrel nut is tight, torqued to around 55lbs. So, I'm wondering if this is normal for this handguard (which would be disappointing) or if they all wiggle a little (Magpul included) and I just never noticed, and I'm being to critical.

Can someone tell me if your carbine length handguard (on rifle with Delta ring and A2 front sight) moves side to side at all?
Old February 24, 2019, 07:59 PM   #2
GarandTd

I just checked mine and there seems to be a minute amount of wiggle of I try to twist it left or right. It really is very slight, though.
Old February 24, 2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Mobuck

Mine don't wiggle if properly seated on the barrel nut.
Old February 24, 2019, 09:45 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Some wiggle. Some don't.
It just depends on the design of the hand guards, and the tolerances of the various parts in the system.
Old March 2, 2019, 11:00 AM   #5
MagnumWill

Yep, all of my ARs that have a delta ring wiggle. If I can't tolerate the wiggle, I've gone to free-float on two of them.