The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 1, 2019, 07:57 PM   #26
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter
A man I know has an old 38 S&W (not special but the short .361 bullet load) revolver he couldn't find ammo for. But the guy at the gunstore sold him some 38 Super and it works because it is also semi-rimmed. And he shoots the stuff without harm to that old gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
The max SAAMI pressure limit of the 38 S&W is 14,500 psi.

The max SAAMI pressure limit of the 38 Super is 36,500 psi.

Best advice I can give is to tell him ASAP to STOP!
Yeah, that sounds like old school gun store people either lying to make a sale because he doesn't want to spend money keeping .38 S&W on the shelf or just giving out unsafe advice. For all we know, that salesman may have seen someone using handloaded .38 Super to low pressures that would be safe in a .38 S&W revolver and thinking, "Oh, any .38 Super can be shot in a .38 S&W."

Word of advice to all: take anything you hear from behind the counter with a few grains of salt.
Old March 1, 2019, 08:47 PM   #27
tallball

I've owned five 32 H&R magnum revolvers and one 327 magnum.

Two wouldn't ignite 32acp at all.

Two would ignite it sometimes.

Two shot it just fine.

I was stuck with a few boxes of WWB 32acp that my (European) semiauto pistols didn't like at all. I used it all up in my Single Six 32 H&R. The long sight radius helped with the accuracy, which was decent.
Old March 1, 2019, 09:35 PM   #28
ThomasT

Quote:
For all we know, that salesman may have seen someone using handloaded .38 Super to low pressures that would be safe in a .38 S&W revolver and thinking, "Oh, any .38 Super can be shot in a .38 S&W."
I have read that 38 Super has been cut in power somewhat because the Super round will also chamber in the weaker 38acp guns. But I am just quoting what I have read and don't own a gun in either chambering. But 38 Super loads can't be reduced a great deal or they won't cycle the guns designed for them. So its still probably some pretty hot stuff.

And I could be wrong (gasp!). Remember this was nearly 3 decades ago and the ammo may have been 38acp and not 38 Super. But my memory keeps saying 38 Super. So who knows?
Old March 1, 2019, 10:21 PM   #29
74A95

"Old" 38 Auto was 130 gr bullet at 1190-1200 fps. Circa 1929.

"New" 38 Auto is 130 gr bullet at 1035 fps. Current SAAMI specs.

"Old" 38 Super was 130 gr bullet at 1300 fps. Circa 1933.

"New" 38 Super is 130 gr bullet at 1200 fps. Current SAAMI specs. But most manufacturers list it as 1215 fps.
Old March 1, 2019, 10:56 PM   #30
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
I have read that 38 Super has been cut in power somewhat because the Super round will also chamber in the weaker 38acp guns. But I am just quoting what I have read and don't own a gun in either chambering. But 38 Super loads can't be reduced a great deal or they won't cycle the guns designed for them. So its still probably some pretty hot stuff.

And I could be wrong (gasp!). Remember this was nearly 3 decades ago and the ammo may have been 38acp and not 38 Super. But my memory keeps saying 38 Super. So who knows?
Could have been .38 ACP, but still, the pressure difference between the two is unsafe to shoot .38 ACP at 26,500 PSI in .38 S&W, which has a max SAAMI spec of 14,500 PSI.

Again, maybe extra weak handloads could do it safely, but if one is handloading, why not use the right case in .38 S&W?

Back to .32 ACP in a .32 S&W Long, it's not something I recommend unless it's life or death situation. I don't think it's worth risking shooting a more common, higher pressure cartridge out of a lower pressure chambered gun unless it's known for being exceptionally rugged like .45 Colt Blackhawks and Redhawks.