The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2019, 12:53 AM   #1
bamaranger

MOSSBERG 835 choke tube markings

We have had a Mossberg 835 w/ 24" bbl in the family now for some time. It's killed a few turkeys, and we even put a mag extension on it and ran it in 3-gun for a brief while. No complaints.

Recently, I more closely examined the 3 choke tubes that came with the gun. All are marked Mossberg Accuchoke and I believe they are factory tubes. Two tubes of blue or matte finish are easily explained:
-turkey full, lead shot only, extended
-full, .730, flush mount

But #3 has me confused. It is of what appears to be stainless construction (shiny) and has the Mossberg Accuchoke markings, flush mount, but then lists two choke designation:
-Mod- T&F steel
-IC- lead (it may say "all lead", I can't recall)

So the IC marking is understood, improved cylinder with lead shot. But the Modified marking has me wondering, what is meaning of T&F? I double checked the markings with a magnifying glass.

Tungsten? Full? Clearly the tube is steel rated modified....but what does T&F stand for?
Old January 27, 2019, 09:11 AM   #2
FITASC

Probably for non-tox like steel, tungsten, or similar.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 27, 2019, 09:45 AM   #3
big al hunter

My understanding is that an IC choke for lead is a modified choke for tungsten and ferrous metal loads (steel). And my 835 patterns pretty close to that....well it used to be mine, gave it to my oldest boy when he turned 18 a few weeks ago.
Old January 27, 2019, 10:00 AM   #4
Blindstitch

Exactly what the other guys said. One marking for hard metals and another for soft lead.
Old January 28, 2019, 11:24 AM   #5
bamaranger

Ahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F= ferrous metal, okay, makes sense. That leaves the "T" which I will gamble means Tungsten.
Old January 28, 2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Virginian

T & F are steel shot sizes. Steel patterns slightly tighter than lead because there are fewer flyers, but it behaves exactly the same through a choke.
Old January 30, 2019, 12:57 AM   #7
bamaranger

Ah!!!!!!!!!....again

Well, I wondered about that...I knew there was "T-shot" or T-Buck, I've sometimes heard. I've got some Dead Coyote loads marked "T" . In fact, I will likely use that tube for the 'yote T-shot.

I did not know there was "F-shot". And I have never seen a tube that was marked with specific shot sizes.

Again, I learn stuff on the Forum. Did a bit of searching, F-shot is pretty big stuff, not far off #4Buck!!!!!!!

Thanks all.
Old February 1, 2019, 09:42 PM   #8
SHR970

It may interest you to know that in the AccuMag chokes that there is a Mod Steel 2 & BB as well as Full steel 2 & BB. Go to Brownells and look them up. When the 835's came out they already understood that Steel reacted to the chokes different than lead. Since the 835's were waterfowl guns they tried to make their chokes appropriate for the game / shot sizes expected to be used.

T&F is for high flying geese; aka skyscraper shots.
Old February 4, 2019, 02:04 AM   #9
bamaranger

interesting

Yes that is indeed interesting. Again, I never was aware that Mossberg marked their chokes so specifically.

We bought the gun used, and I promptly screwed in a lead shot only , Colonial Arms .676 ( recent equal to the old Star Dot) and started gobbler hunting. I never took a second look at the other tubes that came with the gun very much at all.