The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 27, 2015, 11:18 PM   #1
USMC 77-81

1 scope 2 rifles?

I have a .270 with a lousy scope and a 7 Mag with a nice older Redfield, what is the general thought on switching the scope depending on which gun I intend to hunt with?
Old December 28, 2015, 01:34 AM   #2
Unlicensed Dremel

Nah... too much trouble re-mounting and re-zeroing. Either get another good scope (and rings) or put the good scope on that .270 and get rid of the 7mm Rem mag.
Old December 28, 2015, 04:09 AM   #3
Blindstitch

Don't share scopes. There are plenty of good budget scopes out there that can do the job so why share.
Old December 28, 2015, 06:41 AM   #4
DAVID NANCARROW

Did see a fella who put LaRue QD rings and bases on a couple of his rifles, and claims it didn't shift zero. He did write down his adjustments to both rifles so he knows what to dial it to. But then, he was using a $3500 Schmidt and Bender scope, so I do understand why he would want to instead of shelling out that sort of money twice. LaRue's are expensive mounts, and for a couple of hunting rifles, you might want to consider 2 scopes.
Old January 18, 2016, 05:49 PM   #5
gemihur

scopes

A decent rifle deserves it's own scope.
I come from a large family and understand sharing but my guns don't!
Old January 18, 2016, 07:46 PM   #6
jmr40

I've zeroed 2 different scopes in QD mounts to use on the same rifle. But 1 scope for 2 rifles isn't practical. You'll soon spend enough in ammo getting them re-zeroed each time you change to just buy a 2nd scope.
Old January 19, 2016, 09:41 AM   #7
USMC 77-81

I agree that the switching of scopes can be a hassle. I will stick with the old Redfeild on the 7 Mag but for the .270 I want to replace the Simmons which came with the Savage as a 'Package gun', given to me by my wife and daughter for Christmas about 10 years ago with a better scope but, also a slimmer and trimmer set up. I have been using the Savage as my Elk rifle for the last 4 seasons and have found it to be an excellent 'Mountain' gun. The stock is just hardwood with pressed checkering but it carries extremely well.
Old January 20, 2016, 10:06 PM   #8
Bushmaster1313

A new Leupold VX I 2-7x33 would set you back less than $200 on Amazon and is slim and trim and backed by Leupold's warranty.

Old January 21, 2016, 02:14 AM   #9
bamaranger

shooting

I would just have to shoot the rifles for a zero check, after a swap, and these days, season after season, that could get expensive. Get another scope.

Regards old USA Redfields, I'm talking scopes that are 30 yrs old, maybe more. I have 3 that have seen use in recent seasons. Two have been back to the "Ironsight" people in OK for rebuild about a decade ago. However, only one is on active duty at present, and that is on a rimfire that does most of its work in the bright of the day. What I have noticed was those old scopes were just not as bright on PM hunts in the last 15-20 minutes of the day, often when game/deer showed up. It may well be that my 57 yr eyes got to the point where I noticed it more, but none of my 3 vintage Redfields are as bright as newer scopes of equal quality bought in the past 10 yrs or so.

I had occassion to prove that just today. I pulled a vintage 2-3/4x Widefield from a carbine, and put on a Leupold 2.5x of more recent mfg. I then fired about 10 rds to re-establish zero. It was late in the PM, very cloudy and overcast, flat light. As both scopes were on hand, a comparison was easy. The difference between the old Redfield and the newer scope, in brightness and clarity, was very obvious.

Point being, you can buy a lot of scope these days for $200 bucks or so. You get a glance through a current scope and You may find your old Redfield on its way to retirement too.
Old January 21, 2016, 09:31 AM   #10
USMC 77-81

Thank you very much gentlemen.
Yea Bushmaster, the Leupold VX series are what I'm leaning towards, I have a Leupold on a Mini 14 which I'm very happy with and I am on a 'Buy American made stuff' kick.
Bama, good observation on the newer vs older scopes for brightness and clarity. My old Redfield 2 x 7 Tracker has good clarity, one problem though, the magnification ring is EXTREMELY hard to turn. I was told Leupold used seals which swelled with humidity causing that to happen, not sure.
Anyway, I'll proceed with getting a new scope for the .270 when my camper sells.
So, if any members are in the market for a very nice Alpenlite truck camper, let me know!
Old January 21, 2016, 11:08 AM   #11
g.willikers

As the others have said, it makes life easier not to have to switch the scope from rifle to rifle.
But if the scope has to be removed for any reason, then you could be in the same boat.
With good technique, it's not all that hard to do, especially with bolt guns.
The plumb line method works with other rifles.
There's plenty of online info on how to do it.
Old January 21, 2016, 04:39 PM   #12
wogpotter

IF (big IF) I wanted to do this & I don't. I'd get a rail mount on both rifles & then use QD rings so that the transfer would be easier.
If you get a scope with hand dialable resettable turrets all you'd need to do is record the difference in zero to dial in & out when you did the transfer.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 22, 2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Rembrandt

Have done it on a 25-06 and a 7mm Browning stainless A-bolts. Used the no longer available Kimber quick detach rings (Similar to Dave Talley rings) with a Swarovski scope. Needed no horizontal adjustment for either rifle, but the vertical drop had to be changed for each rifle. Yes it can be done.
Old January 25, 2016, 01:09 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

I wouldn't waste the time and ammo zeroing it every time I moved it from one gun to the other.