The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 9, 2018, 09:08 PM   #1
BluRidgDav

Basic Cowboy Action Shooting questions?

Now that I'm retired and have a little "extra" spare time, I'm considering joining my local chapter of the SASS to do some Cowboy Action Shooting. I won't be "in it, to win it", just want to enjoy the camaraderie and make gunsmoke.

I have a pair of Colt 1861 Navy revolvers (2nd & 3rd generation) which I enjoy shooting at a leisurely pace. I expect that there will be enough time between stages to reload my guns. But, how many times will I need to do this during a typical match? Are you cowboys slinging 25 lead slugs downrange each day, or 250, or something in between?

If I'm going to need to spend my whole day at the loading table in order to compete as a Frontiersman, maybe I'd be better off finding a companion to my 2nd generation Colt Single Action Army .45 and save my Navy .36's for plinking at tin cans.

And while I'm asking about typical CAS round counts: How much rifle & shotgun ammo is normally required for each match? (just ballpark numbers, please)

Thanx, Dave.
Old March 10, 2018, 05:09 AM   #2
prof marvel

CaptainBaylor has your answers

Greetings My Good Dave -

I would like to suggest you go here:

http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html

Captain Baylor has detailed answers to all your questions, especially getting started

http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

and shooting Cap & Ball - seen here

http://www.curtrich.com/frontiersmen.html

and here
http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html

hope this helps
prof marvel
Old March 10, 2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Oliver Sudden

Cas matches are generally 5 or 6 stages with 10 pistol shots each. Rifle will be about 10 and shotgun from 2 to 6 pre stage. Your plan to relax and enjoy is sound. You don't have to join any association to play the game just show up and get involved. The group will help you get things rolling.
Old March 10, 2018, 04:52 PM   #4
BluRidgDav

Thanx Gents, that answered my questions and then some!

Plan to attend my local SASS chapter's monthly meeting next week at a cafe in town. Then be a spectator at a couple of matches, before buying any more hardware.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:38 AM   #5
Hellgate

Dave, You may be required or urged to go to an orientation on CAS. I predict you will be offered guns to try out by the other shooters. They may even have you shoot a stage or two just to set the hook before reeling you in. I’ve been shooting “percussin’“ revolvers in CAS since 1994 and it gets easier with a little time. I’d still recommend getting a set of suppository shooters (pistols like the SAA that load from the rear) for starting out and for days when it is raining heavily. When I shoot a match I hang out at the unloading table and check shooters coming off the line while I reload my Navies. I started out with a ‘61 navy and a Ruger flattop Blackhawk for pistols and my brother’s 20ga SXS and a borrowed rifle so don’t fret if everything isn’t all fancy.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 12, 2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

What Hellgate said. I started out in 1999 with one single action Uberti, an 160 Henry rifle and a borrowed shotgun. I've been shooting Cap guns regularly since 2003 with the occasional caatridg thrown in. Just show up at a match and you'll get plenty of offers to shoot some ones guns.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce