The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 12, 2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Amegatek

LASR X

I recently got LASR X and started doing a little virtual training. Ranges are closed in my area. In the screen shots I was using a SIRT pistol. I can also use laser ammo in my real guns, but you have to rack the slide between shots. I like it because I can work on drawing from holster, my range I frequent doesn't allow this. It is pretty fun, but should be used in addition to live fire at the range. The three screen shots are from a mini course I set up at my house. Targets were in three different rooms. My total time was with time penalties added. You can see the raw time on line 8 in the screen shots. At least I have something to do while the ranges are closed because of the pandemic.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old April 12, 2020, 04:03 PM   #2
jwamplerusa

I'm in the same boat range wise, but my setup is lower tech. I'm using a G-Sight laser cartridge, the garage door hinges, and a free dry fire timer app.

Better than nothing, and allows me to work on target transitions and sight focus.
Old April 22, 2020, 09:10 AM   #3
reteach

I've been using my Laserlyte setup quite a bit. I can take it out on the porch or just leave it on the bookshelf and sit at my desk. There's no real substitute for shooting the real stuff, but it scratches the itch a little bit and keeps me in practice a little bit.

[Still can't get the photos to show up in the post. I tried following the directions but it doesn't work for me. Any suggestions appreciated.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laserlyte 7 yards 4.jpg (63.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg laserlyte bookshelf 4.jpg (84.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by reteach; April 22, 2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old April 26, 2020, 06:31 PM   #4
Amegatek

Here is a quick sample video of my setup. I was using the SIRT pistol here and doing the El Presidente drill. Not my best effort, I jumped the start signal and my hits could have been better. You get the general idea though. https://i.imgur.com/VGqMgSi.mp4
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Amegatek; April 28, 2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old April 29, 2020, 10:51 AM   #5
SKILCZ

LASR-X is a good system, especially when you're stuck at home and ranges are closed. You can use post it notes as targets to hone your accuracy. It allows you to safely practice drawing, sight picture, target acquisition, trigger control, and accuracy.