The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 6, 2019, 07:21 PM   #26
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I think it’s a nice idea.
But, I have an inappropriate and probably unfounded fear of having the receiver and chamber that near my face.
While some may think the issue of a receiver near one's face is a needless worry, the fact is that if one is uncomfortable with any style of rifle then it's not a smart idea to use one, simple as that. It doesn't matter why you don't like it, if you don't, don't use it. Simple as that.

I for one have tried bullpup style rifles and found them unsatisfactory for a whole raft of reasons. Some because of the way the rifles don't fit me comfortably ergonomically, some because of the blast and flash so near my ears, some because of a concern of the action so near my face, and some because, even though I shoot right handed, both the of them I tried sprayed powder in my face with every shot.

Some may like them and that's great for them. Some don't and that's also great for them. I don't but don't worry about whether someone else does or doesn't like my choice in long guns. I suggest that it's a smart position to take.
Old December 6, 2019, 09:06 PM   #27
Houndog

As a lefty, it's kind of funny to hear people worry about action being so close to their face. Shooting a regular AR the action is always close to my face and I sometimes get some blowback. With a bullpup its really nice to have the chamber on the other side of the rifle away from my face.
Old December 28, 2019, 09:49 AM   #28
chadio

FN PS90 - it is certainly a crowd pleaser with family and friends...

The entire rifle is satisfactory for my application, which is strictly range and target practice. With one exception: the trigger is creepy / has a poor feel.

Another member said the same thing up a few posts....
Old December 28, 2019, 10:19 AM   #29
Bartholomew Roberts

Having seen a few ARs let go after overpressure, I have to say I’m not excited about having my cheek over the receiver though I don’t doubt designers think about (Aside to 44AMP, if you think 50k psi is bad, the new General Dynamics NGSW is a bullpup shooting an 80k psi cartridge!).

Also, I do like being able to roll the rifle and look in the chamber without changing position or unshouldering. That’s quite a bit more difficult with a bullpup since the chamber is under your strongside eye.

On the flipside, if you need a 16” barrel in a 26” package, then a bullpup is tough to beat.
Old December 28, 2019, 12:12 PM   #30
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Context: By history, I'm a pistol and bolt action rifle shooter, but in the last decade, I've made ARs too. I have an interest in bullpups now, but I have reservations as well.

A pistol is in my hand or a holster, so I always know and can control where it points. A rifle, even an AR carbine is long enough that hanging on my shoulder it isn't going to point straight at my head.

Bullpups seem as if they would occupy an odd middle ground. They are so short that hanging muzzle up, one might easily sweep one's head. Hanging downward, there seem lots of opportunities to point at knees and vitals.

Have any of you tried a bullpup and found these issues off putting? Are there other qualities that made you hate the bullpup you tried?

Please tell me all the problems -- keep me from spending money on one.
The short answer no, not even in the slightest.

I own AUG's and at no time does the barrel ever come close to "sweeping" my head, not by any stretch (I have 14, 16, 20, 24" barrels). If I have it resting in front and transition it to my back, the muzzle can sweep my feet and lower legs, but no more so than an M4/16, AK, levergun, shotgun, etc.

As for negative qualities, nope, not a one
The AUG is outstanding in all respects
Some will complain about the trigger, but Ive found that they are either trigger snobs or have never actually fired one (more often than not they are the latter). It pulls the effectively the same as any other military trigger.

Some will complain about the weight
Well, man up and start exercising
In reality it is comparable to similar platforms, but folks will say "Oh it's two pounds heavier than a _____" Which is inevitably some entirely dissimilar configuration... non-piston driven, no optic, 20" vs 14", etc.

People will complain about operation and reloading
Well,, train for your platform
But it really isn't any different than training on anything else. Again in my experience those that complain about reloads and such have no actual hands on experience with them, they are usually just repeating what they read/hear.

My biggest draw to the AUG isn't actually the size. but rather the ridiculous reliability of them, they just run like crazy. And even though they are poly, they are tough as nails. Look at the comments by the owner of Battlefield Vegas, he has openly stated that the AUG is by far the most reliable and durable. And they see far more use and abuse than even most military rifles.

I can and choose to use the AUG as my "primary rifle" for social work, followed closely by AK platforms. But opinions will differ

Last edited by TBM900; December 28, 2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old December 28, 2019, 02:58 PM   #31
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900
As for negative qualities, nope, not a one
Oh, come on. You can’t hardly expect to be taken seriously after claiming any firearm made by man has not a single negative quality.
Old December 28, 2019, 04:46 PM   #32
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
Oh, come on. You can’t hardly expect to be taken seriously after claiming any firearm made by man has not a single negative quality.
Except for the fact that I made no such claim.
Old December 28, 2019, 05:36 PM   #33
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
I’m not excited about having my cheek over the receiver
The AUG receiver ends about 4 inches forward of the shooters face, thus the chamber isn't under the shooters cheek or even face.
Further, the chamber is contained within the 'lock bolt body' (the rear most portion of the receiver) which is about 0.625 thick at its thinnest section.

When the AUG was designed it was actually made to fully contain a 2x worst case scenario. In the last 4 decades I have never heard or seen a single example of an AUG coming apart (including mil and leo), not saying one hasn't, but I would love to see one if it did.

And looking at the design & construction, if I had to have a rifle come apart... I would choose it in the AUG any day over an AR platform.

Quote:
Also, I do like being able to roll the rifle and look in the chamber without changing position or unshouldering. That’s quite a bit more difficult with a bullpup since the chamber is under your strongside eye.
The chamber is actually well forward of the shooters eye.
I can see the bolt and its position without even moving, roll the rifle about 10deg and I can see the entire chamber mouth.