The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 16, 2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Bottom Gun

Can You Help Identify this Pistol?

A friend sent me a couple photos of a .32 cal pistol she is trying to identify. She told me it has a small eagle stamped on it which I’m assuming is a Nazi proof mark?

She sent a couple of photos which aren’t the best but will hopefully be enough for identification.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Any idea of value?

Thanks in advance !!!!

Mechanical engineers have their moments.

Last edited by Bottom Gun; February 17, 2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old September 16, 2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Jim Watson

J.P. Sauer model 38H.
German WWII sidearm caliber 7.65/.32ACP.

Dull finish, simple roll marks of a late war gun, but not so late as to have lost the slide safety.

Article at:
https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sauer38/sauer38.html

Sorry, I can't do appraisals.
Old September 16, 2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Bottom Gun

That's great info. Thanks !!!

Old September 16, 2018, 07:33 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

As for value, check gunbroker for things that sell, asking prices might be misleading.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...13&PageSize=24
Be aware that gunbroker's search algorithm is very literal, sauer 38H does not return sauer 38-h or sauer 38 h, try variations on the name.
Old September 18, 2018, 01:34 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...a Nazi proof mark?..." The eagle over the Swastika was an acceptance stamp, not a proof mark. Same idea as the Brit broad arrow.
I suspect that pistol has been refinished. Wouldn't have had the phosphating. That will reduce its collector value.
Old September 18, 2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Bottom Gun

I've not seen this pistol in person, only photos but it has been refinished and, judging from the grip screws, some parts substitution as well.
Once you guys gave me the model info, I was able to send my friend a couple of Gunbroker auction links so she could get some idea of the value. She say she doesn't plan to sell it so I suspect she was simply curious as to the value.
She is very happy to have this new found information.
Thanks again, Guys !!!!

Old September 19, 2018, 04:40 PM   #7
RJay

Eagle over a Swastika Is police issue, There should be a capitol letter next to the mark, either a C K E or L,
Old September 30, 2018, 11:21 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Eagle over a Swastika Is police issue,...
Maybe. It depends on which eagle over swastika you are looking at.

The German Waffenamt (weapons bureau) used an eagle over swastika marking (along with a number) and it was applied to ALL firearms accepted for military (and government) service. There were inspection teams at all the factories, and the number (such as "355" will tell you which factory team it was).

Often the marking is faint, or incomplete, not even looking like an eagle, just a couple of lines forming the "wings". Other times it is clear and distinct. The WaA Pruef went on pistols and rifles, sometimes clear and easy to see, and sometimes tiny and difficult to make out.

Nazi Police markings were varied, some were and eagle/swastika, but it is a different mark than the WaA Pruef mark.

A pistol like the one in question could have both, if it had been police issue.
Old October 1, 2018, 11:41 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The German Waffenamt (weapons bureau) used an eagle over swastika marking (along with a number) and it was applied to ALL firearms accepted for military (and government) service. There were inspection teams at all the factories, and the number (such as "355" will tell you which factory team it was)."

No. Many waffenamt examples show only the eagle.

My ViZ 35 Radom, made under German occupation, shows a very clear stamp that has no evidence of a Swastika.

From what I've been able to tell, as the war progressed less and less effort went into designing and creating the stamps.

My guess is that it has a lot to do with the time involved in machining the stamps and the increasing lack of the proper tool steel as the war progressed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 24, 2018, 08:20 PM   #10
Drm50

I had a Radom 35 last year. The one I had was late wartime under Nazi rule. They had dropped machining and finish as well as some parts. While looking this
gun up I found most desirable Radom was called Polish Eagle. Prewar workman
ship and finish. It was marked with eagle.