The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2020, 08:43 PM   #1
Smokescreens

This is ridiculous im asking this but.... reloading spent primers

im not willing to pay over $100 for a box of primers but i dont want to run out of what i have. i have 7k small pistol primers left but i would rather keep stock up vs running out and having none..

that being said is there anyone here that reloads primers? i seen a few vids on youtube but i would rather not sit here and crush up match heads like im crushing up a pill to snort if possible. is there a list of items to get and ratios to mix it at? im open to options as well.
Old September 18, 2020, 08:49 PM   #2
nhyrum

100 bucks a brick? Even now I'm only paying 40 ish a brick. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. Don't panic. Buy what you can, when you can. For most (not all) 7k small pistol is still more than people are used to seeing in one place.

The only people I know that make their own priming compound, use it for 22.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old September 18, 2020, 10:30 PM   #3
Smokescreens

yeah when i see them for $30-$40 i buy them. but i have only seen 3 boxes in the last few months. i had about 12 thousand before all this crap hit.
Old September 19, 2020, 06:29 AM   #4
Whirlwind06

http://aardvarkreloading.com/resourc...imercourse.pdf

Found this awhile ago. For information purposes only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 19, 2020, 10:31 AM   #5
dyl

I don't reprime primers, but I did look at it once. Here was what I found: Like nhyrum said it looks to be used in 22lr.

But I don't imagine how that would be a problem.

My guess is you'd have to flatten the indentation of the primer cup with an appropriate sized punch on a flat hard surface/anvil, spread your compound mixture, insert the anvil almost all the way down, let it dry. Just my guess though, never tried it.
Old September 19, 2020, 02:55 PM   #6
ChasHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
My guess is you'd have to flatten the indentation of the primer cup with an appropriate sized punch on a flat hard surface/anvil, spread your compound mixture, insert the anvil almost all the way down, let it dry. Just my guess though, never tried it.
Doing that, there's a good chance you might have to change your range nickname to Three Finger Louie or One Eye Jack ;-)
Old September 19, 2020, 03:34 PM   #7
BJung

Buy an air gun for now. For pistols, buy an airsoft. For rifles, the Airforce Texan.. There are others and it's legal to buy a silencer with it. Go check them out.

I know where you're coming from. If I couldn't shoot HP, it'll be a .22lr. If not that, then a bow or air gun. If not that, I'd get a sling shot or throw spears or rocks.
Old September 19, 2020, 04:07 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Or get into muzzleloading. There may come a time when reloading primers makes sense, but we're still a long, long way away from that.
Quote:
There are others and it's legal to buy a silencer with it <an airgun>.
It's legal to buy an airgun that is integrally silenced, but having a separate silencer can be legally problematic. If it becomes an issue, to avoid being convicted, one would need to demonstrate that it absolutely is not a firearm silencer. That is a difficult task since they operate in exactly the same way.

It is possible to prove that an airgun silencer is not a firearm silencer--it has been done at least once--but it had to be done in a trial--actually in an appeal of the initial conviction. As I recall, a major factor in the defendant's success was that he owned no firearms. Anyway, from a practical standpoint it's moot. By the time the defendant was finally acquitted, my guess is that his legal defense had cost 100 to 1000 times what it would have cost to pay the federal tax and get a silencer that is unquestionably legal.
Old September 19, 2020, 07:42 PM   #9
5whiskey

Good time to get into C&B revolvers. They’re quite fun in their own right, and there is no run on percussion caps (yet). Percussion caps actually can be made at home viably in a pinch with a die set that costs around 70 bucks or so. Projectiles can easily be cast, and BP isn’t hugely difficult to make as long as you have a mind toward safety and aren’t too cavalier. Completely, ultimately self-sufficient shooting if you have a lifetime supply of lead. Alternatively you can make a bullet trap if you can Shoot on private property, and 50 pounds of lead will last a lifetime.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 20, 2020, 12:21 AM   #10
Metal god

Interesting I have about that same number of standard sp primers and “was” very happy I had plenty . You being worried about not having enough now has me worried too .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 20, 2020, 01:48 AM   #11
TruthTellers

I agree with all those who are saying to look into muzzleloaders, caps, powder, and round balls are available and affordable. I bought a couple thousand .454 round balls a few months ago when Speer had a rebate going. I think after all said and done the total cost was 8 cents a ball.

Now if only I could get my hands on a steel frame 12 inch Pietta Buffalo NMA I'd be inclined to shoot some of my huge stack of balls.
Old September 20, 2020, 06:26 AM   #12
hounddawg

or as alternative for practice go the air rifle/pistol route. Never looked into the pistols but the rifles are scary accurate out to 50 yards
Old September 20, 2020, 10:39 AM   #13
dyl

Quote:
Doing that, there's a good chance you might have to change your range nickname to Three Finger Louie or One Eye Jack ;-)
Of course anyone undertaking this would do so at his/her own risk. I'd imagine this is how primers are made in the first place in the factory, just by automation rather than by hand. Is there some industry secret I am missing here? Do share.

Setting the anvil I believe would be safer when the solvent is still wet. And though the anvil will have taken 1 strike it should be still usable as its maximum diameter is limited by the primer cup inner dimensions (which was well supported by the primer pocket)
Old September 20, 2020, 01:14 PM   #14
hounddawg

Back when I loaded 38sp and 357 with a Lee hammer loader I had a lot of primers pop when seating them. More of a nasty surprise than a injury, stung the fingers a bit but no blood. Just wear safety glasses.
Old September 21, 2020, 08:38 PM   #15
5whiskey

Quote:
Now if only I could get my hands on a steel frame 12 inch Pietta Buffalo NMA I'd be inclined to shoot some of my huge stack of balls.
Wait are they out of stock everywhere too? When I was looking my NMA a couple of months ago they were about all I could find. I found probably the last standard 8” Uberti NMA at Dixie. Even they went out of stock the day after I ordered. Could still find the buffalos then though.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 22, 2020, 01:50 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...primers are made in the first place in the factory..." The priming compound, like BP is handled wet. Priming compounds are extremely hazardous materials to fiddle with.
"...vids on YouTube... Do Not get your training from YouTube. Anybody can put anything they want there.
Old September 22, 2020, 02:37 PM   #17
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
Wait are they out of stock everywhere too? When I was looking my NMA a couple of months ago they were about all I could find. I found probably the last standard 8” Uberti NMA at Dixie. Even they went out of stock the day after I ordered. Could still find the buffalos then though.
The brass frame Buffalos are out there, but steel frame models are out. There aren't many retailers that import them, I know Cabelas did many years ago but dropped them, I know Old South had them last year, but beyond Old South I don't think anyone else imported them.

So, for now, the only way you're going to be able to get a steel Buffalo is an auction site or a pawn shop.
Old September 24, 2020, 04:26 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Self-detonation with priming mixes happens even at the commercial munitions plants. Here's one. My conclusion is that if they can't guarantee to make the process work safely, I'm probably not going to be able to, either.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 24, 2020, 04:51 PM   #19
Jim Watson

Just part of the business and workplace risk to those who employ or are employed there.

The military has put a lot of work into insensitive explosives for bombs and shells in recent years. The new stuff takes a hot detonator to go off and not much else will trigger them. But of course you have to provide the detonators.
Old September 24, 2020, 04:52 PM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

…and that means someone has to make them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 26, 2020, 02:07 AM   #21
Machineguntony

I would never make my own primer compounds. Not even a major manufacturer like Lake City, as Unclenick pointed out, can safely make primer compounds.