The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 8, 2017, 11:34 PM   #26
JACKlangrishe

Wow beautiful grips Oliver!! And your first post!
And Priceless images from AKexpat as usual!!

I regretted starting this thread the second I hit Submit.. I knew it just wouldn't come across right, and would just look like someone complaining about a beautiful and amazingly affordable revolver.

I edited my OP to include a note for anyone not inclined to read it all.

I don't want newbies to think Pietta's are anything but exceptional. I even tried to edit the thread subject title, but the forum won't let me.

In the end, if this thread coaxes these kinds of images ^ , and possibly encouraged a new member to join, then it might have just been a blessing in disguise.

Last edited by JACKlangrishe; January 9, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old January 9, 2017, 03:37 PM   #27
drobs

I think one of the reasons Pietta does it, is so their guns can't be confused, defarbed, passed off, as originals.

Pietta use computer programed CNC machinery, they could easily match all the specs of an original gun. Easier / cheaper (supply line) to keep it the way it it is.
Old January 9, 2017, 03:50 PM   #28
AKexpat

That may have been true in the past, but since the 2015 [CN] model Navies there have been no Pietta "tail" grip profiles produced, to my knowledge.

I am not well versed insofar as other Pietta pistols (1860 Armies, etc.) to say one way or another about these.

Quote:
Then how do you explain most grips not interchanging? Those two sets of grips I posted I bought to put on one of mine and neither fit. They couldn't even have been made to fit the dimensions were so far off.
Don't know what to say, Hawg. I have not experienced that. The hardwood grip I bought on Ebay was a direct replacement for the original walnut piece for the Pietta "tail" 2014 [CM] pistol. No fitting necessary.

The backstrap for the G&G has no "divot" for a shoulder stock. I bought it from VTI, supposedly as a backstrap for an 1860, but that turned out to be wrong. When I procured the Pietta G&G (originally with the "divot") I tried it out there and it fits well with the wood and the TG, and that's where it resides today.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; January 9, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old January 9, 2017, 04:11 PM   #29
drobs

My 2015 - 1860 has it (top gun in below pic). Maybe not as much pronounced as some I've seen.
It really doesn't bother me.

Old January 9, 2017, 04:28 PM   #30
AKexpat

Quote:
My 2015 - 1860 has it (top gun in below pic). Maybe not as much pronounced as some I've seen.
It really doesn't bother me.
I really don't see any problems with the "tail" on an 1860 Army as the trigger guard does not have the pronounced short curve as the Pietta "tail" 1851 Navies had. The Armies also have a slightly longer grip and I am sure that has something to do with it, but I really have no experience with the 1860.

Nice guns, sir!

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old January 16, 2017, 01:14 PM   #31
Turnstyle

Quote:
I regretted starting this thread the second I hit Submit.. I knew it just wouldn't come across right, and would just look like someone complaining about a beautiful and amazingly affordable revolver.

I edited my OP to include a note for anyone not inclined to read it all.

I don't want newbies to think Pietta's are anything but exceptional. I even tried to edit the thread subject title, but the forum won't let me.

In the end, if this thread coaxes these kinds of images ^ , and possibly encouraged a new member to join, then it might have just been a blessing in disguise.
I think this is a good post and you should have no regrets about it. I'm just waiting on Cabela's next sale to make my first Pietta purchase. The information shared here in this thread is helpful and quite interesting.
Old January 16, 2017, 01:36 PM   #32
Hawg

Drobs, what year is the Pietta Remington? It doesn't appear to have the really fat grips with proud wood at the top but does have the extremely tall front sight of the fairly newer ones.
Old January 16, 2017, 04:02 PM   #33
JACKlangrishe

Thanks Turnstyle!! and Welcome to the forum!!

Hang in there and when you spot a deal, get that Pietta! all the waiting will be worth it the minute you open that box! =)

I had to wait for a sale as well. I had just missed one, and started a thread while I was waiting for the next sale. I think it took just about a month (holiday season), which is no time at all, especially while researching and preparing.
Old January 16, 2017, 04:31 PM   #34
Turnstyle

Thanks for the welcome! I feel like I probably just missed some as well... here's to hoping for a President's Day sale.
Old January 16, 2017, 05:45 PM   #35
drobs

Hawg,

My 1858 Pietta is from 2003. I had to go look it up as I'm overseas right now.
https://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75074

I didn't shoot it in original form w/ BP - Pyrodex till 2014.

Edit, I'm hooked now...
Helps, having my own range, right out my back door but dam it's a lot of fun! Need a rifle next.

Last edited by drobs; January 16, 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old January 16, 2017, 06:10 PM   #36
Hawg

Thanks Drobs.
Old January 16, 2017, 06:46 PM   #37
AKexpat

One thing I must say about Pietta wood, and I am specifically referring to Pietta's 1851 Navy type pistols. I have three models (2014, 2015, and 2016).

Since they use CNC machining (maybe not on the wood), I do not understand why the wood-to-metal fit is very good where the wood meets the backstrap and the trigger guard, and they cannot they get closer than 1/16th of an inch (sometimes more) when it comes to the rear of the frame?

WTH? Am I missing something?

Any comments appreciated.

Jim
Old January 16, 2017, 07:19 PM   #38
Model12Win

Jim, you're freaking out about nothing.

Listen, if you want flawless fit and finish, get a Hege.

If you want a superb, shootable, AFFORDABLE gun that won't break the bank, get a Pietta. No, fit and finish will not be quite as good but you can get a .44 Confederate Navy brasser framed revo from Cabelas for like $99 when they're on sale. That my friend, is a beautiful thing indeed.
Old January 16, 2017, 08:55 PM   #39
AKexpat

Quote:
Jim, you're freaking out about nothing.

Listen, if you want flawless fit and finish, get a Hege.

If you want a superb, shootable, AFFORDABLE gun that won't break the bank, get a Pietta. No, fit and finish will not be quite as good but you can get a .44 Confederate Navy brasser framed revo from Cabelas for like $99 when they're on sale. That my friend, is a beautiful thing indeed.
Well, I didn't think I was freaking out, but that's your call.

The only Pietta brasser I have is a 2015 Pietta G&G .36 with the part round/part octagon barrel. Along with a Pietta 1851 2nd Model .36 steel with the squareback TG, and a Pietta 1851 .36 3rd/4th Model steel. All three of my Pietta pistols are in .36 caliber.

I want to collect replicas that are somewhat realistic, and a brasser 1851 in .44 just ain't there. If you want a good shooting .44 Colt replica, get a .44 Dragoon. Second/Third Model, it's up to you.

Forget about an 1851 .44 Navy. It never happened. And a brasser? Crap insofar as a shooter. My brasser G&G is just for show and historical significance.

Why don't you get a Dance .44 steel or an 1860 Army steel if you are so proud of the .44? Brassers are of poor quality as shooters unless with light loads.

I like the .36. No one will ever budge me from that stance.

Have a good night, sir.

Jim
Old January 16, 2017, 09:55 PM   #40
Hawg

My guess is Pietta fattened the grips when enough people complained about them being too small. Especially with Remingtons where the skinny grips were rapping knuckles. I have a Pietta Remington made in 76 and the wood to metal fit isn't too bad and the grips are very slim, not like the obese things they call grips now. They also made the front sights extremely taller on the Remingtons because people couldn't figure out how to shoot with the original size.