The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 16, 2016, 09:09 AM   #1
DA/SA Fan

Congrats to Missourians!

Starting Jan 1 our legal gun owners can carry concealed without a permit. A "stand your ground " also goes into effect.
I just hope and pray that the November election doesn't screw things up for all Americans!
Old September 16, 2016, 09:52 AM   #2
Targa

Very nice!! My home state, at least I can be proud of that. Where I currently reside in Colorado I am proud of our Sheriff's association but other than that...yeh, nothing.
Old September 16, 2016, 10:28 AM   #3
P5 Guy

GunShine State

Congratulations!
Now if only Florida could join the list of free states
Old September 16, 2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Old Bill Dibble

Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming

and now:

Missouri

Looks like a good start.
Old September 16, 2016, 10:42 PM   #5
tony pasley

10 down 40 more to go
Old September 17, 2016, 09:37 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

The media is now calling Missouri the 'Shoot Me State'.

Getting pretty lame, isn't it?
Old September 18, 2016, 08:47 AM   #7
steve4102

Does this apply only to Missouri residence or all citizens that can legally possess a firearm?
Old September 25, 2016, 11:29 AM   #8
849ACSO

The Missouri law was intended to cover Missouri residents while they are in the State of Missouri.

As I read the statute, it's not totally clear. Further guidance is awaited from the Missouri AG and Missouri Judiciary.
Old September 29, 2016, 08:32 PM   #9
Phoenix54c

I think this is a mistake on a statutory and common-sense level.

Legally, carrying a firearm introduces a trove of civil and criminal liability issues. This language governing CCW is cryptic and spread out over a lot of laws; a course consolidates this neatly for people and ensures they understand it. It's going to be difficult for even well-meaning people to do this on their own, and then there are just the irresponsible people who don't care. We'll be seeing a lot more firearms on crowded metros, buses, in bars and other places where they can't be used without wounding/killing bystanders or just shouldn't sensibly be.

Practically, the course also provides a lot of information about safe gun usage, maintenance and storage -- habits which, in my experience, at least 30% of people do not regularly exercise.

My thoughts on the machismo present in broader American gun culture at large notwithstanding, I think these courses did a great job of reminding people that guns are dangerous tools that must be treated with care and used only as a weapon only as last resort. People are apt to forget that when they put one on their hip, and I think abolishing the training will probably have some repercussions (not massive, but tangible).
Old September 29, 2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Sarge

The training was minimal and essentially nobody failed unless the instructor threw them out for twirling a gun on their finger or something equally asinine. The qualification was a joke.
Old October 2, 2016, 10:10 AM   #11
Don P

Quote:
Congratulations!
Now if only Florida could join the list of free states
Would be nice. I just don't see the state giving up the revenue that the CCW program brings in. I believe there are some 1.3-4 million permit holders in the state of Florida. If you do the math that's a lot of money. At today's cost of $70 to the state =$91,000,000 and renewals are $50 and =$65,000,000. Just my thought.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 2, 2016, 11:28 AM   #12
Sarge

I figured the revenue issue would kill it here, too. Aside from the fees to CCW instructors, local sheriffs and the highway patrol both charged significant fees for processing, fingerprinting and background checks. MSHP and the Sheriff's Association are major lobbying forces in any pending legislation and the MO Police Chiefs Association is also, to a lesser degree. At any rate I was surprised Constitutional Carry passed over a goober-natorial veto and the objections of those political titans.

Freedom won. Who'd a thought it?
Old October 3, 2016, 08:52 AM   #13
Don P

Quote:
The training was minimal and essentially nobody failed unless the instructor threw them out for twirling a gun on their finger or something equally asinine. The qualification was a joke
From what I teach and what I know other instructors teach its a decent course and range time. The state does have vague guide lines set in place for the instructors to follow. We had instructors in south FLA charging $20 for a certificate no class involved. They are out there
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 5, 2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Hunter Customs

Quote:
The training was minimal and essentially nobody failed unless the instructor threw them out for twirling a gun on their finger or something equally asinine. The qualification was a joke.
I pretty much agree with the above statement as I know some instructors did the CCW classes in 8 hours or less including the qualification part which did not meet Missouri standards.

When I was doing CCW classes it was a two day course, 10 hours of classroom the first day, review of classroom and qualification the second day. I did not use the huge B27 target for qualification I used the standard USPSA/IPSC target.

I'm certainly not against training but when people bring up the training as an issue I have to wonder how many criminals with guns completed any kind of firearms training.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old October 8, 2016, 09:39 AM   #15
Dufus

Quote:
I have to wonder how many criminals with guns completed any kind of firearms training
Sometimes "firearms training" is learning how to pull the trigger.

I have met gun owners that did not know how to load the gun.

I have also met Chevrolet and Ford owners that did not know how to check the engine oil.
Old October 8, 2016, 05:22 PM   #16
kilimanjaro

Since when does Grandma need training to exercise a civil right any more than she needs photo ID to cast a ballot.