The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2012, 12:39 AM   #1
1GodManyGuns

Reloading Mentor (SW Texas)

I am moving out to Del Rio, TX soon and would like to find a mentor for reloading. I recently purchased the Hornady Lock n Load Classic Kit. I've read the Hornady manual and The ABCs of reloading each once now. I thought it'd be easier to get started with someone to show me ropes, or more importantly, just make sure the rounds are all safe.

If this is unnecessary, just say so and I will use the forum to post specs, equipment and pictures every step of the way. Thanks for the help and advice to come!
Old July 25, 2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Northrider

A mentor is a good idea. I have a friend who has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about shooting and he got me into reloading and he is my mentor for that as well.
I live in AK, so am not any help for you in TX, but go to a range close to your home and join them if they have memberships. Go to a couple meetings and meet some other shooters. Next thing you know, you are talking reloading and someone is bound to step up and offer to mentor you. Us reloaders are a helpful bunch.

Shoot Safe and Often
Old July 25, 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Northrider

By the way,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of help here on this site as well. The gurus here have helped me on more than one occasion.
Old July 26, 2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Adamantium

You'd best be careful in Del Rio, haven't you seen No Country for Old Men? I go over to Juarez, but Del Rio, I don't know about that...

Reloading safe ammo is a very easy process and can be done with the knowledge already at your disposal with your reloading guides. If you know how to measure a powder charge, double check the settings on your press and can mimic the external dimensions of a piece of factory ammunition you are well on your way to being a successful reloader. The true learning process is more about correctly adjusting dies and figuring out how to be efficient without sacrificing any safe guards against double charges and squib loads.

Finding someone to show you the ropes in person is great but posting here usually gets a problem solved. If El Paso wasn't 6-7 hours away (west texas is a big place for those of you who haven't been out here) I'd volunteer to help you set up your press for the first time.

What calibers are you planning on reloading?
Old July 28, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
1GodManyGuns

Local Range Found

Thanks for the replies! To answer a few questions, I plan on reloading
.223 and 9mm. I was able to make it out to the only reputable range in town today. Range master/care taker is a shooting and flying enthusiast who reloads, casts his own, and teaches competition shooting. Range membership is $95 annually which seems pretty cheap. Here's a link to the range if you are interested in seeing what it looks like http://valverdeactionshooters.com

As soon as I convince my wife we need to join I'll be out there.

I'll be sure to post pictures in the main forum as soon as I get the operation up and running.

Tags
mentor , reloading mentor , texas