The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 20, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Grimesinma

My first NRA 50-yrd standard pistol match tonight!

I have my first NRA standard pistol competition match in over 15 years tonight. Needless to say, I am a bit nervous. It is a club vs. club match where only the top five scores on each team count. At least that takes some of the pressure off. Wish me luck.
Old October 18, 2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Hammerhead

Good luck!
I'm starting to become more interested in bullseye, whattaya shoot?
I'm just paying off a PC 952 and am going to use it in IHMSA Field Pistol, would like to find more events, any links?
Old October 18, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3
DWARREN123

Good luck and relax.
Old October 19, 2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Ken O

Well....how did it go??
Old October 26, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Grimesinma

Sorry I didn't post a reply in this thread rather than starting a new one. Well last night was week six in the competition. Here are the results so far (out of a maximum of 300 points):
Week1 170
Week2 218
Week3 217
Week4 207
Week5 202
Week6 ?
As you can see, disregarding the first week which can be attributed to nervousness, the scores have been steadily declining. I think that it is still not enough time to warrant a change but I would have expected to begin improving by now. As a side note, for the past few weeks, I have not been practicing between matches. I work crazy hours but I will try to set aside some time this weekend. Last night I did not stay for my score. Around noon I started getting a terrific headache. By afternoon I finally had to break down and take some Excedrin. I had a mild version of the shakes going into the match and was throwing shots off of the paper in some cases. Embarrasing to say the least. Anyway, it is hard to not get discouraged. I am pressing on with the hopes that things will improve soon. I have a good group of shooters in my club and am feeling no pressure from them. It helps that for team scoring, they only count the highest five scores. Thanks for the encouragement.
-- Monty --
Old October 26, 2006, 01:28 PM   #6
10s&Xs

Don't get discouraged!

As this is your first venture back after a long stretch, I think the best thing you can do is forget about the scores. Relax and focus on the fundamentals - stance, breathing, grip, sight aligment and trigger control.

Bullseye shooting is 90% mental, 10% physical. And 90% of the physical part is trigger control. Any practice you can get during the week will help. Spend some time dry-firing to watch what happens with your sights when the hammer falls. Find the right spot on your finger where pressing the trigger disturbs the sights the least and memorize how it feels.

Don't be afraid to ask the other shooters in your group for help. Most everyone I've met in the bullseye circles has been very friendly.

And, as you found, caffeine (which I believe Excedrin has lots of) before a match can make things more difficult.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old November 13, 2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Grimesinma

Our pistol league only counts the top five scores for team competition. Below that and the score counts only for individual. This past Wednesday night, I shot a 252 and it counted towards the team score which added to a win against the other team. Needless to say, it was a good night. 10s&Xs, I think it was a combination of taking your advise and concentrating on the fundamentals plus the significantly reduction of my weekly alcohol intake.
Old November 13, 2006, 02:32 PM   #8
10s&Xs

Nice shooting. 252 is quite a jump compared to the first couple of weeks, and I'm sure it felt good to contribute to a team win.

Keep up with the practice!