The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2010, 01:36 AM   #1
ewd

new to reloading

I have decided to take the leap and start reloading. I have done some light reading and realized I need help before I start spending money in the wrong direction. I am tired of running to the store every weekend my son and I shoot to buy ammo. I am willing to spend money to get set up proper. I intend to load multiple rounds in various amounts.
45acp,357 mag, 5.56, 308/7.62 and 12 gauge in stockpile quantities for regular shooting . 7 rem mag in hunting quantities I have a little time to research before returning from overseas and would like to gather as much knowledge as I can.
Who makes the best equipment and what do I need? Where are the best sources to learn the craft.
Thanks,
EWD
Old March 2, 2010, 02:24 AM   #2
chris in va

First off, welcome to TFL...you'll like it here.

All I can really say is reloading for shotgun shells requires a totally different press from rifle/handgun presses.

The default answer for a beginner is start with a 'turret' 4-hole press such as the Lee, and use it on the single stage setting until you get used to the process. I'm still learning myself and have loaded thousands of 9mm with my Lee Hand Press (go ahead, laugh guys ).

Reloading requires a certain methodical approach. Personally I'd just start with 45ACP as they are quite easy to make, similar to that 500cc twin motorcycle you learned to ride on (no? ). If you can try and find a local class on reloading so someone can walk you through the basics.
Old March 2, 2010, 02:38 AM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day and welcome. Make sure you read the sticky at the top of this section. It will answer several of your questions. check out this thread to see some various setups.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:39 AM   #4
hornady

Who makes the best equipment depends on who you talk to. Everyone has there favorite. The nice thing about reloading . you can start out as cheap or expensive as you want. Lee being the cheapest. And if you don’t mind all the plastic and other cut backs they do to keep cost down. And lots of guys have good luck with them. Or you can go whole hog. With the Dillion 650. My self I started on a Pacific single stage press 40 years ago. And bought the Hornady LNL progressive a few years ago. I would pick up two books first off. Lyman 49th and Lee Modern reloading. Both will explain the process. And both will push there equipment.. Some guys get by with a single stage press just fine. Others an Auto progressive is a better choice. You don’t need a corvette. If you only drive 35 MPH. Same with a press. And for Rifle rounds . I just like the single stage better. But that’s me.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:17 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

As stated before get a good manual, Lyman or ABC's of reloading. For quanity loading there is Dillon of Hornady, RCBS makes a progressive to. For single stage They all make very good stuff, Redding makes some nice presses. One of the all time greats is the Forester CoAx press. What ever press you decide on just try and buy a quality setup, it will last you a life time.
Old March 2, 2010, 08:29 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

welcome

When in doubt buy RCBS; when buying progressive buy Dillon; Lyman's manual(s) offer what I consider to be the best "how to" section (but add a Speer and Accurate and Hodgon and Hornady manual).
Old March 2, 2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Ihateglock

Who makes the best equipment and what do I need? Where are the best sources to learn the craft?

As many have said on here people have a multitude of choices.Rcbs, Lee,Hornady,Forester,etc, etc. Most people start out with a single stage press because there simplistic and affordable when they start out,You can get them for under 100 bucks. By the time your at this level you will have learned how to set your dies properly,Understand load data,Weigh powder see all the signs reloaders look out for(Bullet bulge cases, cracked, pin holes, case head seperaton, primer problems, etc, etc?) .

After you learn on the single stage press,you usually strart moveing up to a Progressive or Turret Press,This is were it gets more exspencive but it makes more ammunition in a lot less time. Some people enjoy the time it takes to reload, while other just want to make 500 rounds in a an hour or 2 to go shooting so you have differant perspectives.

Its not as difficult as it sounds and once you get dialed in ,It can give you rewarding results besides cost savings but by better acccuracy and in most cases better then factory ammunition .
Old March 2, 2010, 02:04 PM   #8
sewerman

what is you Definition of "best"?

if you aren't one to desire top shelf equipment ....then i would suggest lee products.

the 4 hole turret press has served me well.
i load 9mm. 38spl, 357, .308, 30/30 & 45/70.

lee makes the best equipment in the market place for the money.

yes, it sometimes needs adjust & is quirky but in the long run it will serve a hobby shooter for many ,many years.

that leaves allota money that you would spent on much more Expensive
equip to be used for primers, powder, cases, bullets.

lee allows the novice to get into the reloading hobby with out floating a loan.

sewerman

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old March 2, 2010, 02:12 PM   #9
DiscoRacing

Quote:
the 4 hole turret press has served me well
thats what I use
Old March 2, 2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Dustin0

The lee turret 3 hole converted to 4 for some rounds has served me well. If you want a cheap 12 gauge loader the lee load all works great you can load about a box an hour or so. You can get a faster press but they do cost more. I really is upto you on how huch time your willing to spend in front of your press and how many rounds you need.
Old March 2, 2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Shoney

ewd

WELCOME TO TFL!!!

Which press you should consider depends on the number of rounds you shoot every month. If you are shooting in the 500 or under, you could get by nicely with a single stage or turret. If you are currently shooting 750 rounds a month, then a turret or progressive press would be better.

The only "absolute truth" that can be said about starting to reload is, "You will shoot a lot more once you start." And grin from ear to ear. That's the only wisdom I can impart after 5 decades of reloading.

I started on a single stage Pacific press, got a second single stage after about ten years, the a Dillon 550 in the early 90's, and in addition got the LNL AP in the late 90's. I find the Hornady LNL AP suits most of my reloading needs for a variety of pistol and rifle cartridges. In addition I have loaded extensively on a hunting buddies 650 and have pulled the handle on a variety of other presses.

If I were starting new today, I would get the Lee Classic Turret, and get it from these folks who get glowing endorsements from several reloading sites:
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

Read the STICKY for the new reloader at the top of the reloading forum page, Read a few books, then ask away on this forum.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 2, 2010, 10:08 PM   #12
jmortimer

What I found most useful was reading reviews from actual owners on Midway USA and Cabelas for any piece of equipment you are considering. There is a reason that Lee Precision is #1 in reloading - best value by far. All brands work and are good. Get the Lyman's Reloading Manual and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee especially if you decide to use Lee Precision equipment. I believe you will see that the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press is the best press for someone like you. Check this out https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Again, just read the reviews from actual owners and I believe you, like many of us will end up with a Lee Turret Press - Get the Classis as opposed to the Deluxe - I have a deluxe only because Lee was not making the Classic when I bought mine.
Old March 2, 2010, 10:32 PM   #13
jfrey

In my experience, you have 2 basic options.
1. Get a Mec 650 jr. loader for shotgun. Relatively inexpensive and will make them like factory if you use good hulls.
Get a Dillon SDB for pistol loading. Must under rated press Dillon makes. It will chunk out pistol rounds fairly fast and it comes with the first set of dies installed and regulated. You don't have to buy other die sets unless you change caliber.
Get a Lee single stage press setup for your rifle loading. You will want them more precise than a progressive will generate.

2. Get the Mec for shotgun, as above.
Get a Dillon 550 or 650 for the pistol and rifle loading. You will have to buy seperate dies for each caliber and a tool head to hold them. The press doesn't come with the first set of dies.

Don't be put off on a progressive thinking you can't learn to load on one. I did it and it wasn't hard at all. Reading the directions that come with the press will do wonders. Dillon has great directions with print and pictures that make things a lot easier to understand. They also have wonderful customer support and warrenty.

There will also be other things to buy once you get the press. Scale, caliper, bullet puller, brass tumbler and a couple others. The Lee press kit comes with a lot of that too and you won't have to duplicate.
Old March 3, 2010, 06:20 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

just me?

I prefer brands that offer lifetime warranties.
Old March 3, 2010, 07:11 AM   #15
NCMountain

The best equipment is so subjective no answer you get will be the right one. That being said, I suggest you try and find folks in your area that reload on forums like this one and ask to come by and see their setup.

I chose the Lee Classic Turret press. It to me is the best value on the market.

As far as what folks refer to as plastic on Lee......actually it is a nylon type subtance that is more resiliant and as always, cost effective. The press itself is made of quality steel and built like a battleship.

So do some research and make a informed decision. Good luck.
Old March 3, 2010, 07:58 AM   #16
mapsjanhere

When I started out not too long ago, I went and bought the cheap Lee Classic complete setup (fully knowing that I probably replace most of is in time). My problem was, I didn't know what to replace first. In my case it turned out a RCBS Chargemaster was the first thing I upgraded to. I think for the beginner that Lee kit is the best $100 to spend to find out what it's all about, and you can put the kit on craigslist for $50 once you're all Dillon, RCBS etc.