The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2016, 06:25 PM   #26
Mike1

To add to what g.willikers said, the caliber swap for the SD B is Not a quick change. I'd suggest saving some more money and then look for a used 550.

Mike
Old October 11, 2016, 09:31 AM   #27
rodfac

Do yourself a big favor and write off the Loadmaster now...Save up and get a Dillon 550B...it uses standard dies and Dillon's customer service (not that you'll ever need it) is the industry standard. I've owned both, now have two 550B's and gave my Loadmaster away to a guy who has cursed me for it, ever since. It's a RPITA to work with, requires constant tinkering to keep running (every time I loaded on it), and parts just break. Lee was less than accommodating when queried about parts reliability...I like Lee's small parts, use their dies in many calibers, but that press will turn you into a raving maniac...

If it matters, I've loaded my own ammunition since 1962. I've got a great single stage press for rifle, own and use a top of the line Harrell turret for real precision, but ALL of my pistol and revolver loads are done on the aforementioned pair of Dillons. They're just that good.

Rant over, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 15, 2016, 06:58 PM   #28
10Ringmagic

Quote:
Lee Classic Turret Kit.

I know it's not a progressive. Just do it.
I can load up about 150 rounds an hour on my LCT, but that's 4 pulls on the handle for just one round, 600 pulls for 150 rounds. It's pretty labor intensive compared to a true progressive press.
Old October 15, 2016, 10:10 PM   #29
Bravo1

Happy with my Lee Loadmaster and it's very affordable. Reloaded 9mm, .45ACP and .223 for over 6 months with about 2000 rounds each. Only issues I've had so far are the priming system and the .223 shell plate being a tad snug. Contacted Lee and they admitted a few incorrectly cut ones got through QA. They sent me a replacement at no cost.
Old October 15, 2016, 10:16 PM   #30
double bogey

I bought a Sq. Deal B on ebay for$200. It takes a few mins to change calibers, and the work table is small, but it loads fast and makes good ammo. I use mine for .44 mag, .357, and .38 sp. (even though they are carbide dies, I lube the .44's with one shot, goes way smoother)

I use a 650xl for .45 acp, 9mm, and .223.

The manual index on the 550 was a no go for me. Too easy to double charge. The 650 has a powder check.
It would be very difficult to double charge on a sq deal. It handles primers better than the 650. That's my only gripe about the 650, if you don't have a case in the primer station, it feeds anyway, and drops the unused primer down a chute, and quite often on the floor. Don't even consider getting a 650 without the case feed hopper.
Old October 16, 2016, 10:17 AM   #31
Chainsaw.

I read and read and read on this subject and decided on an xl650 with the 550 being a close second. The auto rotate of the 650 was the last straw for me. Im actually setting up the 650 as we speak so I can make claims about its performance yet but eveything I read was it/they/dillon just works. I watched alot of videos on how to tweek the lee so it runs good....maybe. What Im getting at save up, mow some lawns (thats literally what I did, and no Im not 15) or sell somthing to make up the extra couple hundred bucks. I know a couple hundred bucks is nothing to some and MUCH to some others.
Old October 16, 2016, 12:01 PM   #32
BigJimP

Dillon 650 shines in another aspect ...over the SDB and the 550...because it has an option for the "powder check" die...which is a significant advantage in terms of an extra safety factor when using a progressive.

10 yrs from now ....when you have run thousands of rounds thru your new press you'll forget all about the relative minor difference in the acquisition cost...pick the press that best meets your needs in the long run / but I recommend one of the Dillons over anything Lee makes - and if your budget is stretched now then go with the SDB / if you take care of it, you can easily sell it for more than you paid for it down the road if you want to upgrade.
Old October 16, 2016, 12:18 PM   #33
kmw1954

Chainsaw, I know a couple hundred bucks is nothing to some and MUCH to some others.

Have read many of these topics also and have come to the conclusion that a few in the hobby lose perspective on the subject.

Not everyone loads hundreds or thousands of rounds at a time. Not even for pistol rounds. Though if one has that need then the top of the line most productive press is the way to go.

I only load a couple hundred rounds at a time, all my equipment is used. I have a Lee Pro 1000 and an RCBS JR3 press, again both used. I have less than $200.00 invested in all my equipment and it may be slow and clunky but it will produce just as accurate ammo as the more expensive equipment will do.

I am also retired on disability with a fixed income so I wish someone would honestly explain to me why I would need a press that is going to cost me 3 to 4 times what I have invested to reload these small amounts. Even a used Dillon 550 is going to be $400.00 to $600.00 depending on what is included with it.
Old October 16, 2016, 12:23 PM   #34
Don P

Quote:
Lee Classic Turret Kit.

I know it's not a progressive. Just do it.
I would pass on the above press. I own one, loaded some 20,000 rounds on it, 80,000 pull push of the handle and this year replaced it with a Dillon 550.
With the Lee press to get a finished round you will have to pull and push the handle 8 times (4 up 4 down strokes) With the Dillon once you have brass in all the slots in the shell plate every time you push/pull the handle you get a finished round. On my Lee if I stayed with it 100 rounds and hour with the Dillon 400 rounds an hour. Definitely worth the extra money
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 16, 2016, 01:06 PM   #35
KEYBEAR

When the Lee Loadmaster first came out a local gun shop was taking orders for them . (no one had seen one yet) At the time I had been using an RCBS 4X4 and it did not work all that well . The Loadmaster was to be the loader to have and life was to be good . The RCBS loaders were changing models every month or so and no one could keep up with it .

So I bought a new Loadmaster it was and still is the biggest piece of crap ever make . I bought enough parts the first month to build a loader .
I set the thing in a shop for sale and it sold fast and I was forever done with the great Loadmaster .
Old October 16, 2016, 01:20 PM   #36
nhyrum

While I do not have any experience with the loadmaster, I have, in my opinion, too much experience with Lee. I bought the classic turret press, and after about 500 rounds of regular resizing, the turret socket broke. From what I polled some friends, Lee's progressives,at least at that time, are/were the absolute worst in the industry. Just go with the Dillon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old October 16, 2016, 02:14 PM   #37
Woolecox

Quote:
I read and read and read on this subject and decided on an xl650 with the 550 being a close second. The auto rotate of the 650 was the last straw for me. Im actually setting up the 650 as we speak so I can make claims about its performance yet but eveything I read was it/they/dillon just works. I watched alot of videos on how to tweek the lee so it runs good....maybe. What Im getting at save up, mow some lawns (thats literally what I did, and no Im not 15) or sell somthing to make up the extra couple hundred bucks. I know a couple hundred bucks is nothing to some and MUCH to some others.
Good for you! Cant wait to hear how you like it. I went with the RL550B about 5 years ago and have been very pleased. I shoot 200-300 pistol rounds a week when shooting in local matches. I usually load for a few hours over a day or two and that takes care of the whole month, and then some.

I do a lot of switching between calibers, 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP, depending on what the match scenario dictates and whatever components I have on hand. I don't use auto case or bullet feed, so changes are quick and easy.

I bought the Dillon setup video with my machine so I was up and running within about 2 hours of unboxing the machine.

Best of luck,
Wooly
Old October 16, 2016, 03:36 PM   #38
StripesDude

My Loadmaster has been trouble free for three years and about 20000 rounds. What I saved vs a Dillon, I spent on components. For replacement parts, I've only bought an extra primer spring. The rest of the press is original.

There may be a lemon in the bunch, but those who struggle with and complain about the Loadmaster may not have the mechanical inclination of those who operate it successfully. IMO, reloading requires a certain mechanical skill set, so I'm surprised these folks don't struggle with even the most expensive equipment.

The Classic Turret is a good press as well. I've seen comments about breakage, which seem to be fluke one off issues, and not to be taken as a slamming of the make/model.
Old October 16, 2016, 08:41 PM   #39
KEYBEAR

StripesDude

YOU ARE THE MAN and I will help you toot your horn .

TOOT TOOT
Old October 16, 2016, 09:06 PM   #40
rodfac

Glad that Loadmaster is working out for you, Stripes. But mine was and probably always will be, a PITA; an engineering disaster of the first order. With 54 years of reloading behind me, I've improved my technique enough to "master" the intricacies of the better engineered Dillon presses.

That said, in years past, Loadmasters were plagued with problems, though perhaps that was before your time. I sincerely hope that Lee has made good on the Loadmaster's problems. They did not with mine. JMHO, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 17, 2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old October 17, 2016, 07:33 AM   #41
Chainsaw.

Kw1954. Im just glad to hear you are reloading and Im hoping you are enjoying the heck out of it. Different strokes for all. Thanks for your perspective.

Say this on Dillons page. Maybe up grades could come over time?
http://www.dillonprecision.com/bl-55...8_1_25792.html
Old October 17, 2016, 07:56 AM   #42
Unclenick
Staff

StripesDude,

Can you say how old your Loadmaster is and what chamberings you load on it? We had a lot of posts over time from folks who said they had to stop about every 250 rounds to adjust or tighten something on theirs, but it doesn't sound like yours is requiring that. If Lee has upped their game on this beast, it would be useful to others to know. But if yours is the same vintage as the troublesome ones, that is worth knowing, too.

Lee has always been one of the most inventive companies and a lot of their products are unique and good values. But their progressive presses have seemed to be their one sore point. I have a couple of their progressive shotshell loaders (now discontinued) that always had interruption problems, too.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 17, 2016, 10:34 AM   #43
lee n. field

Quote:
Lee Loadmaster or Dillon Square Deal B?
I am loading a lot of 9mm ,38 sp and .40 s&w

The options of the loadmaster ie bullet and case feeder have me most interested in it.

Any reason to get the square deal b over the loadmaster?
Ask me in a couple months.

I just got a Loadmaster for free. This was a straight up trade, my Pro 1000 and associated bits (that I had given up on) for his Loadmaster (that he had given up on).

We shall see.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 17, 2016, 01:21 PM   #44
jmorris

Quote:
There may be a lemon in the bunch, but those who struggle with and complain about the Loadmaster may not have the mechanical inclination of those who operate it successfully.
I suppose I can agree with that. The LM I wound up loading 100 rounds in less than 4 minutes on was "a basket case" to quote the previous owner. It only took me a few days to get it sorted out and working well. However, I had already been loading on progressives for more than 30 years and thought I had already seen just about all there was to see.

I can see why some reloaders lean towards less problematic machines despite the greater costs. These days people don't even want to have to fill ice trays and expect the ice bucket to always be full. Much less learn the things that make some presses "tick". They just want to open a box, screw it down and start loading. Like my Brother and I did back when we started with the SD.
Old October 17, 2016, 05:22 PM   #45
StripesDude

I load 9mm, 45 acp, 40 s&w. I have the shellplate to load 357 but don't shoot enough to require a progressive so I load that on my Classic Turret. The only time I stop loading in the middle of a session is to refill primers (ones I don't have to load into a tube).

Look, my post may have come across as crass with my comment about mechanical ability. But I've seen a lot of Loadmasters goobered up by people who didn't set them up correctly or forced something too hard. Of course then they claim it's the fault of the press. My press was bought new in 2013, so it's a newer press.

I'll admit Dillon is a superior machine....with a superior price tag. There's no reason the Loadmaster can't work though. It just takes some patience and mechanical ability.
Old October 17, 2016, 05:34 PM   #46
Tad_T

I have three Loadmasters, a Pro 1000, a Lee Classic Turret, a Breechlock Challenger, and an RCBS RS. The RS was my first and only press for several years. I got it in 1980.

I then went to the Turret. I picked the whole kit up out of Cabela's Bargain Cave for $49. Got the Breechlock Challenger kit the same way for $29. The Turret really speeded up my loading as compared to loading on a single stage press.

After my wife and daughter joined me in shooting Cowboy Action, I needed to load 3x the rounds that I had been loading for just myself. A friend of mine had a Lee Loadmaster. He showed me some about it and offered to help me if I got one. Using some gift cards and Cabela's points, I got a Loadmaster kit in .38 Special for very little money out of my pocket. My friend helped me get it adjusted. So I have one Loadmaster for small pistol primers that I primarily load .38 Special and .357 Magnum on.

I then got another Loadmaster kit in .45 ACP so that I could keep up with my Wild Bunch shooting. Since I had already had a Loadmaster it didn't take much to get it running. I have a second Loadmaster for large pistol primers that primarily loads .45 ACP, .44 Special, and .44 Magnum. These are my Wild Bunch calibers.

My daughter started shooting 3 Gun on the Junior Shooter's team. So that meant more time on the reloading bench for me.

A friend had a brand new in the box Pro 1000 that he had won in a drawing. He told me he would let me have it for $75. I set it up for loading 9mm.

Another guy I knew had a Loadmaster that he said that he hated. He said he kept it in a box under his bench and that he would kick the box every time he thought about it. He let me have it and a whole bunch of other stuff for $50. I ordered a few parts and set it up to load .223. So I have a third Loadmaster for small rifle primers that does mostly .223 and .30 Carbine.

I have turret plates set up for each caliber and it only takes about a minute to swap them out. Each one has a dedicated powder measure on it. After I adjust the case feeder which takes about another minute, I'm ready to go.

I use the single stages for decapping, load development, and hunting loads.

For calibers that I shoot smaller volumes of, I generally load them on the Turret.

I really don't have a problem with Lee equipment at all. I load a lot of rounds on my Loadmasters.
Old October 18, 2016, 08:26 AM   #47
sawdustdad

The description for the Lee Loadmaster has this caveat:

Lee warns that only CCI or Remington brand primers should be used with this reloading press. If you plan on reloading with any other brand of primers you must purchase the explosion shield (part# 533-868)
Old October 18, 2016, 09:12 AM   #48
jmorris

I only used Winchester in my LM. If you look in he manual for any firearm you own, it will tell you to only use factory ammunition.

Like page 5 #26 of your Rossi M92 manual for example.

Last edited by jmorris; October 18, 2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old October 18, 2016, 02:51 PM   #49
Chainsaw.

Stripesdude you bring up a solid point. People mucking stuff up and all. Heck I got a year old motorcycle for pennies on the dollar that didnt ryn because the chuckle head that owned it tried to do a vavle job on it. Wouldnt start. An hour of tinkering found the cam was off a tooth.
Perhaps the lee is just a little less idiot proof or perhaps the price tag just draws more idiots?? Who knows. Ive liked all of my lee stuff thus far but decided to jump in the cool blue water.
Old October 20, 2016, 10:42 PM   #50
JeepHammer

Quote:
There may be a lemon in the bunch, but those who struggle with and complain about the Loadmaster may not have the mechanical inclination of those who operate it successfully.
That's pretty far reaching, since I own both,
And,
I build complicated products/machines routinely...

The Lee Load Master is a design nightmare, barely on the edge of function at the best of times...
The design is the least of the issues, execution was beyond pitiful to the point where taking a hammer to it is a mercy killing...
Mercy for the unfortunate owners out several hundred bucks for little or nothing.

Since my loadmaster is bolted to the same bench as my Dillons, once someone pulls the handle on the Dillon, I can't even sell it for half what I've got in it,
Not to mention its never thrown consistant rounds, sometimes you can get it working well enough to throw rounds that fire for a short period...

I can't imagine trying to load 20k or 30k rounds on that piece of crap after owning a 650 that can do it effortlessly, and have consistant rounds all the way through.