The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 24, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Need suggestions for recoil management

I am just getting back into riflery after many years. I have a Browning BBR 30-06 Sprg. I don't have deep pockets and I don't want to mess with modifying the stock right now. With that in mind, I would appreciate any suggestions on products for recoil management. I do not know what would be better; a shoulder pad, a slip on butt plate, a screw on butt plate, something else, or nothing at all.

For me, the more specific the recommendation the better it is; right down to the part number is fine with me (I hate guessing).

Thank you in advance,
Andrew
Old February 24, 2012, 05:19 AM   #2
radom

Trade it for a .243.
Old February 24, 2012, 05:52 AM   #3
hounddawg

Limbsaver, Kick-Eez, Pachmayr Decelerator pads. A good shooting vest or shirt with a sewn in pad. What type shooting are you doing? If shooting offhand make sure your stance is correct. My wife shoots 20 rounds of full load 12ga for home defense practice and she is all of 130 dripping wet. She just makes sure she lets her body absorb the recoil instead of fighting it. I prefer shooting prone over sitting at a bench because of recoil management. Sitting at a bench forces the position and makes you resist the recoil.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:38 AM   #4
mattamuskeet

Try some low recoil ammo, like this...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601353369
Old February 24, 2012, 06:54 AM   #5
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg
Limbsaver, Kick-Eez, Pachmayr Decelerator pads.
Yep, yep, yep! The good pads available nowadays turn a lion into a pussycat. If I've got a kicking rifle, the very first thing I do is put either a limbsaver or a decelerator on it. I haven't tried the Kick-EEz, but I understand that they are very good pads.

One fellow of my acquaintance uses flip-flops. He buys them at the local box store, cuts them to fit and glues them on. I've been thinking about trying that, as a $5.00 pair of flip-flops costs a whole lot less than a $20.00 recoil pad. That might be just the ticket for a beater rifle that is going to be used and abused anyway.

My neighborhood gunsmith will install a Limbsaver on a rifle for $60.00. He buys the pad, grinds it to fit the stock and when I go to pick it up, it looks like it grew on the wood. That's okay with me, as it keeps a nice rifle looking good. One additional benefit is that he's done enough of those for me that he knows my LOP and will trim the stock to fit me. A good gunsmith is a joy and a friend.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 24, 2012, 07:00 AM   #6
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg
My wife shoots 20 rounds of full load 12ga for home defense practice and she is all of 130 dripping wet. She just makes sure she lets her body absorb the recoil instead of fighting it.
Sometimes I think that small light people actually get less bruised by recoil because they have less mass, they go along with the recoil instead of stopping it.

Another proven recoil tamer is making the gun heavier. Drill a hole behind the butt plate and put lead there.

This picture is me shooting a muzzleloading 8 gauge shotgun at a trap target. This gun is surprisingly comfortable to shoot because it weighs about 12 pounds.
Old February 24, 2012, 07:22 AM   #7
jmr40

Use some of the reduced recoil ammo.

http://remington.com/product-familie...ed-recoil.aspx
Old February 24, 2012, 07:36 AM   #8
twins

I like the PAST recoil pad. $30 and you're done. I have the super mag version and it's great for skeet shooting, bench shooting, Mosin-mule-kicking shooting, or any type of shooting if you're recoil sensitive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699...d-ambidextrous
Old February 24, 2012, 07:39 AM   #9
hounddawg

on the subject of home made recoil pads I used a extra foam floor mat from my shop and made a spacer to lengthen the pull on one of my rifles. I think Harbor Fright sells them in packs of 4 for $10.00 which would be enough to do about 200 recoil pads.
Old February 24, 2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Mobuck

I installed LimbSaver pads on a couple of muzzleloaders and they really work. When shooting anything over 7mm08 from the bench, I use a PAST pad which eases the recoil effect on my bony collarbone/shoulder.
You can find both of these products for under $100 from one of the catalog stores. Installation of the pad will require shortening the stock unless you're 6'9" and the stock is already too short.
Reduced/managed recoil ammo is available for the 30/06 although more expensive than standard ammo but it is an alternative. I handloaded reduced loads for several years before my son got comfortable with his 30/06.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

slip-on recoil pads

The slip-on recoil pads like those made by Butler Creek only cost around 10 or 12 bucks. They work well and can be taken on and off without making modifications to the gun. If I'm shooting my .270 a lot one day I like to have it on. I take it off for hunting.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Dave Anderson

Lots of good advice so far. I'd add, wear both soft ear plugs and earmuffs when shooting.
Old February 24, 2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Scorch

Quote:
Limbsaver, Kick-Eez, Pachmayr Decelerator pads
Since i get the opportunity to install and shoot rifles with these, I will add that the Kick-Eez is the softest, the Limbsaver next, and the Decelerator hardest. I will also add that the softer pads do not last as long as a Pachmayer, they are very susceptible to solvents and UV degradation.
Old February 24, 2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Colorado Redneck

There are several great calibers that recoil less than a 30-06. 7mm-08, 25-06, 270, 243, to mention a few.

If you are really married to your gun, the different recoil pad and reduced recoil ammo are great suggestions. Drilling the stock is not a bad option, but it takes a significant weight increase (1/2 pound or more) to make a noticable difference in felt recoil. The difference in density between lead and steel is fairly small, so a 5/8" hole filled with a 5"8" rod would be easy. 6 inches would be about half a pound.
Old February 25, 2012, 06:48 AM   #15
bn12gg

SerenityNetwork-- I recently picked up a Browning Safari in 30 06, this
is the 2nd 30 06 I've owned. I will keep the original Browning butt
plate on the gun. I shoot 150 grain and simply fold a towel draping it
over my shoulder at the bench-- this works great-- no recoil issues.
Zero cost.

.02 David

Last edited by bn12gg; February 25, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old February 25, 2012, 06:54 AM   #16
SerenityNetworks

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going to be checking them out today. One of the reasons I posted is that I see a ton of stuff out on the market and I have no idea what is great, good, or suitable for garbage. I appreciate being given specific product names and also the comparisons. It is very helpful.

Just to answer a few points made: I'd love to have a .243, but it's not in the budget right now. I am kind of 'married' to the rifle. My father passed it down to me a few weeks ago. He bought it as an investment a number of years ago, but really wants me to use it now. It's a 1979 model and was still in the box. If it's been fired at all then it has only been a few times. That's one reason I don't want to get into modifying the stock just yet. Maybe after I get familiar with the rifle and back to shooting regularly then I'll look at cutting on the stock, but not right now. So if needed, I like the suggestion on using a slip-on. As I mentioned, I've been out of hunting for quite a few years now, but I don't think I'll be recoil sensitive. I never had an issue going through three or four boxes of high brass in my Browning Light-12 and I never used any recoil protection. And I used to use a .303 for deer in Missouri without any problems. I don't think I'm that much weaker now. But I was expecting that going to a range and firing off a few boxes from different positions over a few hours might be a lot different than a day's skeet shooting. That's why I was asking.

Gentlemen, thanks again for all the responses. Now I need to get looking.

Andrew

PS. Oh, and while I'm trying to find out what kind of cartridges this rifle 'likes', I will see about checking out some of the reduced recoil ammo. I had no idea there was such a thing. I don't anticipate being sensitive, but why get hammered if it's not needed.

PPS. David, it looks like we must have posted at near the same time. After I hit submit, I received an alert of your posting. Thanks for the tip. I love free :-)

Last edited by SerenityNetworks; February 25, 2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Simultaenous posting
Old February 25, 2012, 07:15 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

I've tried a lot of different items and the PAST recoil pad is as good as it gets. The REACTOR pad with a Galco slip on pad works as well.
Old February 25, 2012, 09:44 AM   #18
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Redneck
Drilling the stock is not a bad option, but it takes a significant weight increase (1/2 pound or more) to make a noticable difference in felt recoil. The difference in density between lead and steel is fairly small, so a 5/8" hole filled with a 5"8" rod would be easy. 6 inches would be about half a pound.
I think the difference in density between lead and steel is greater than "fairly small".
Calculated weights of a 5/8 X 6 inch rod:

Steel .522 lb
lead .755 lb
depleted uranium 1.26 lb
gold 1.29 lb
tungsten 1.30 lb
platinum 1.42 lb
Old February 25, 2012, 11:57 AM   #19
RC20

Looks like the deplete uranium would be the best option!

Had to laugh, good figures (grin)
Old February 25, 2012, 12:59 PM   #20
B.L.E.

I have one of these barrel weights on one of my shotguns. It not only adds weight but also rebalances a gun that has lead in the stock. These two things got the gun to weigh a little over eight pounds and that makes all the difference when you spend all day shooting trap with a 12 gauge.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6...COUNTER-WEIGHT
Old February 25, 2012, 01:11 PM   #21
jhgreasemonkey

The Hi-Viz X-Coil butt pad is very soft and thick. They're about 35 bucks. I put one on my lightweight Savage .30-06.
Old February 25, 2012, 02:06 PM   #22
bn12gg

SerenityNetwork-- I just returned from the club/range. Cleaned the
guns, 30 06 included. Put approx a dozen 150 grain rounds thru the
sweet rifle. I simply threw a folded towel over the shoulder, laid the
rifle on a BullsBag (helps) and sqwwwweeeezzzzed off the rounds. I
could go out and throw a 9 inning baseball game--No recoil issue--
zero! I mixed the dozen rounds in around the other toys over about
a 2 hour period. But, just no recoil issue.

.02 David
Old February 25, 2012, 02:20 PM   #23
glicerin

Haven't heard anyone mention shooting stance. Many people don't anchor cheek on stock, or pull firearm into shoulder, preferably with shooting elbow high so butt rests in muscled valley between shoulder and collar bone. Lean slightly into it and allow body to move with the recoil(more difficult on the bench). Lighter bullets like 125 to 150 grain and/or reduced recoil cartridge will help. Reloaders have it best.
Old February 25, 2012, 10:15 PM   #24
SerenityNetworks

Thanks guys. This is all good. I think for my first forays to the range, I'll probably just go with the towel or nothing at all and just see how it feels. I never had a problem in past, so possibly there will be no issue now. If I step up then I'll probably go with something that stays off the rifle, like the PAST pad or a piece of foam floor mat before I start attacking the stock. After that I'll just see how it goes.

And yes, stance is incredibly important, as glicerin mentioned and hounddawg implied about his wife. With my old Light-12, if I got lazy with my stance then I would be sore the next day, even shooting low brass shells.

Thanks again for all the input. If it turns out I need something then I'll have this great thread to fall back upon for reference. Hopefully this thread will help someone else too.

Regards,
Andrew

PS. And if I'm still shooting 20 years from now, failing in health, and the loss of a few more brains cells won't matter then I think I'll try drilling some holes under the butt plate and filling the space with some surplus spent uranium bullets. I'll be sure to post back the results - if I remember
Old February 26, 2012, 01:20 AM   #25
uncyboo

Quote:
I'd add, wear both soft ear plugs and earmuffs when shooting.
+1000. This is HUGE...............

Tags
recoil