The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Marco Califo

Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro Progressive - Opinions?

If you are a Lee hater, as some are, I do not need your input. I want to hear from people with knowledge and experience, good or bad.
Quote:
Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro Progressive Press
By: Lee | Item # 006-90900
$124.99 $106.99
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...gressive-press
I do not know when this product was introduced, but Midsouth Shooters Supply started carrying them. That $107 does not include the shellplate which adds $18.29 for 9mm and 40SW. That is one and the same shellplate.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...reech-lock-pro

There is video on Midsouth showing ONE cartridge being loaded one station at a time. So I am unclear on whether this product will work with 4 cases at a time as it auto-indexes.

That shellplate/shellholder multi caliber use is one of Lee's weakness. Loading 9mm in a 40SW shellplate introduces "slop" of 1mm. I do not know how significant that is, in this case. But, I have ripped rims off some brass with Lee shellholders that were this "one-size-fits-most" specification.

Last edited by Marco Califo; April 23, 2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Links
Old April 23, 2018, 02:18 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Check your local sporting goods stores - particularly the big chains - until you can get your own hands on one (even if it's incomplete and zip-tied to prevent function).
If Lee's "one size fits most" approach to shell holders and shell plates irritates you, then the tolerances in the rest of the machine probably won't meet your standards, either.

Get your hands on one for yourself. Make the call from there.
Old April 23, 2018, 08:39 PM   #3
snakeye

There is a good discussion on the new Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro Progressive Press on The High Road forum

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-10810628

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ashing.835426/
Old April 23, 2018, 09:08 PM   #4
kmw1954

There are also 3 threads over at Cast Boolits.com on this press with a few people already reviewing them. Also Titan Reloading has at least 2 videos up at youtube.

I load 9mm on a Lee Pro1000 and have no problems with the shellplate.
Old April 23, 2018, 10:32 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Some shakedown bugs

Some shakedown bugs:
Re: use with Lee Safety Prime
(which I don't and won't).http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...reech-lock-pro
That is why I like priming off the press, using an RCBS hand priming tool, anyway.
I also never want to be a first implementer. I would rather read about the problems after they have solutions, and if necessary, product improvements.
Re:Index rod round plastic piece:
Quote:
I finally got ahold of Lee . The technician said there is a third version . The black and the white ones don't work so well . The new one is gray .
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-10810628
Old April 23, 2018, 11:20 PM   #6
kmw1954

Now I'm confused. Start a topic to ask opinions and then after 5 posts you come back and state you never want to be a first implementer. What is the point of the question then? Second all the advertising out clearly states this press used the Safety Prime (which you won't and don't) so again why ask about something you already have an opinion on?
Old April 24, 2018, 02:51 PM   #7
GWS

I think there is a niche for this machine, but don't think this is a complete progressive package like the Loadmaster or Pro 1000.

The plus is: ....... it's a 4 hole like the Dillon 550! (or a minus if you were hoping for 5 holes.....)

The price is good, but you don't get some things that come with other progressives. No primer system, no powder measure....those are extra....and the primer system is manual, not stroke actuated. So compare apples....be sure to add in the cost of the P.M. and the manual primer system.

My personal take:

If I was choosing between a Lee turret or this new progressive......I'd take the new progressive, or two......
Old April 24, 2018, 09:38 PM   #8
GTOne

If they come out with a Classic Pro BL it might make me want to swap my LCT, but not as it stands, no. If it was my first press, then probably, maybe.
It comes across as flimsy in the handle and linkage dept. The handle is not adjustable as on the CC or LCT, the stroke is where it is, like it or not. Again, maybe inline fab will fix some of it, but that will add a c-note to the price, Lee should have done it right the first time.

It is an all new platform, why just 4 stations? Strange.

Anyway, the THR threads are back patting only, so I haven't bothered to follow those.
Old April 24, 2018, 10:58 PM   #9
Marco Califo

THR

Quote:
Anyway, the THR threads are back patting only, so I haven't bothered to follow those.
My experience is the exact opposite. THR has reports by people who have used or even touched one, troubles, solutions, Lee responses. Not much of that here in this thread. I am getting more useful info there.
Old April 25, 2018, 08:42 AM   #10
GTOne

I didn't mean THR in general. I've had an account there around as old as here. It has loads of great info and is at the top of my bookmarks list for reloading.
Old April 26, 2018, 09:45 AM   #11
Real Gun

Quote:
I want to hear from people with knowledge and experience, good or bad.
I wonder if you should follow your own advice, waiting to have experience or getting comments from those owning and using the press. I have one and have posted about it, maybe elsewhere, in the spirit of some valuing the information, wanting to get some field reports before jumping into something new. I am also working with Inline Fabrications on getting the press at a good working height and usefully accessorized. They have already done some work on supporting the new press.

The Pro1000, Loadmaster, and now the Pro4000 have adjustable tabs to secure cases in shellplate bays. It is part of the setup to set those tabs to the case size. I couldn't say whether a shell plate serving a range of case sizes is a problem, but why not trust Lee to have that all figured out?