The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Brownstone322

Long-Slide Glock for Duty Use

So I was in Baltimore (Camden Yards) over the weekend, and I asked one of the cops on duty what piece he was carrying. I was surprised when he told me it was a Glock 24 (which I'll assume was standard issue, but I didn't press the issue). For those who may not know, that's a .40-cal with a 6-inch barrel/slide.

I know they usually carry openly and don't have to worry about concealment, but how common is it for cops to carry long-slide pistols? Where I live (Henrico County, Virginia), the department carries the Glock 22, which is wholly unremarkable.
Old April 23, 2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Siggy-06

I haven't seen any cops down here in south FL with long slide Glocks. Glock 19, 17, 23, 22, and 21s.
Old April 23, 2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
I haven't seen any cops down here in south FL with long slide Glocks. Glock 19, 17, 23, 22, and 21s.
Same. Exactly what I have come to expect.
Old April 23, 2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Sharkbite

We had a cpl guys carry G35’s. Thats the “Tactical” 40s&w. Our issued gun was a G21, but that thing didnt fit a lot of us very well. A long list of authorized alternatives allowed us to find something we liked better.

The guys with the G35’s had a hard time finding holster’s (at that time).
Old April 23, 2018, 01:55 PM   #5
cmdc

I have a Glock 24 and I love it. I got 9mm and .357 Sig conversion barrels for it. It is very accurate with all barrels, and with the 9mm barrel it recoils like a .22.
Old April 23, 2018, 04:50 PM   #6
L-2

Quote:
So I was in Baltimore (Camden Yards) over the weekend, and I asked one of the cops on duty what piece he was carrying. I was surprised when he told me it was a Glock 24 (which I'll assume was standard issue, but I didn't press the issue). For those who may not know, that's a .40-cal with a 6-inch barrel/slide.

I know they usually carry openly and don't have to worry about concealment, but how common is it for cops to carry long-slide pistols? Where I live (Henrico County, Virginia), the department carries the Glock 22, which is wholly unremarkable.
It isn't common for cops to carry long-slide pistols. The comfort-level of today's holsters, whether high, mid, or low-ride heights often precludes an officer from choosing a longer slide handgun or Glock. I've heard of the Glock 34 or 35 being either issued or authorized for use, however.

https://www.powerdms.com/public/BALT...ocuments/51016

Here's an excerpt from Baltimore PD's firearms policy which does allow the G22, G23, and G27 for an alternative personally-owned handgun for duty use, but doesn't state what the issued BPD handgun is.

Questions I'd have (rhetorical; no answers expected) and my suspicions are:
-Was this a Baltimore PD officer or some other agency?
-I suspect the officer could have misspoken or the OP misheard.
-More likely, the officer had a G22 in .40 and mistakenly said "G24".
-I'm unaware of any company making a duty holster made for a G24.
-All the BPD photos I saw show relatively-standard G22-sized holstered handguns.
Old April 23, 2018, 05:24 PM   #7
jmr40

I don't know of any dept. that issues the long slide guns, but SOME officers have some discretion as to what they can carry in SOME depts. I could see someone who worked on SWAT or one of the other special teams being allowed to carry something non-standard if they felt it would be an advantage in certain situations.

Winston Churchill
Old April 23, 2018, 06:27 PM   #8
bamaranger

AL Game and Fish

About a decade or so ago, AL G&F got rid of their .40 Beretta's , and started carrying Glock 35's, the .40 cal version of the G34 . They seem mostly universally despised by the 3-4 officers I was acquainted with. Biggest gripe, in the issue holsters, they do not ride well on a duty belt in a vehicle. I think the G35/34 family has 5 inch barrels.

I do not know who sold overhead the idea. Rank and file seems to have had no say. I do not know if their G35's have the lighter match trigger, which would seem an issue for a rank and file duty pistol. I do not know if senior personnel could still carry their older Berretta's. As I'm out of the loop these days, it may have changed again, but before I retired, it was the prac/tac glock in .40.
Old April 24, 2018, 09:35 AM   #9
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
-More likely, the officer had a G22 in .40 and mistakenly said "G24".
-I'm unaware of any company making a duty holster made for a G24.
-All the BPD photos I saw show relatively-standard G22-sized holstered handguns.
These are good answers, and I am inclined to agree. The vibe I got was that he really wasn't a "gun guy," and perhaps he misspoke. (I, on the other hand, would never misidentify any of my guns; just sayin'.)

With all that in mind, I could see the grip on his Glock (and those of others), and it was definitely Gen3-style, which would in fact match a G24. Of course, that would match lots of pieces still in service use.

Thanks, L-2.
Old April 24, 2018, 09:14 PM   #10
Jim Watson

Dave,
I have read that Practica Tactical Glock 34/35 sold to departments come with 5.5 connectors instead of 3.5 commercial guns. While they fit The Box about the same as a 1911, they are too long for modern duty.

See the new model 19x with regular butt and short slide. Kind of a Glock "Commander."
Old April 25, 2018, 12:57 AM   #11
DubC-Hicks

Yup, Blue Label G34s and 35s come with the 5.5lb trigger. As to being too long for duty use, I don't think so. All but one of the PDs in our county are issued Springfield XD45 Tacticals. The 5" versions, and I don't feel they're too big. But I would trade that XD for a G34 any day.
Old April 25, 2018, 12:58 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

I have seen G34s and G35s in LE holsters, but only very rarely. Two that I can recall--both from the same department, a rural TX Constable.

I've never seen a 17L or 24 in an LE holster.
Old April 26, 2018, 02:36 AM   #13
Jeff22

I've been carrying a Glock 35 in a Safariland holster since the spring of 2012.

We used to have Chevy Impala squad cars, and the ergonomics of that car didn't work particularly well with a 5 inch gun.

Now we have Chevy Tahoe PPVs and a couple of the Ford Interceptor SUVs which are bigger vehicles with more interior room where you sit in more of an upright position, and the G35 works fine.
Old April 27, 2018, 11:26 PM   #14
weblance

I was looking at used Glock Police Trade In pistols the other day, and remembered seeing this Kentucky State Police G35.

While it may not be common for a LEO to carry a long slide, apparently it does happen

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/glock...n-p-44481.html
Old April 28, 2018, 01:44 AM   #15
bamaranger

carry v. holster type

The 5.5 connector on the LE G35's makes sense, but I was not sure that was the practice.
Old April 28, 2018, 09:34 AM   #16
Austin HiPowers

From what I heard/read, the Baltimore PD is carrying a longslide indeed, but a FN-FNS-40LS (5 inch barrel)

http://www.guns.com/2013/09/03/balti...fns-40ls-duty/

The ArizonaDepartment of Public Safety began transitioning to the FNS-40LS also. Being a cop myself I prefer the barrel of a G22/17 though
Old April 28, 2018, 10:05 AM   #17
Onward Allusion

Departments standard issue (for those who don't make the officer purchase their own) and usually an approved list. Personally, I haven't seen a Glock 17L or 24 on an officer. However, I wouldn't go 40S&W or 9mm in a long side for open carry.

Go big or go home - 357 Sig will get ya close to 800 ft lb from a 6".
Old April 28, 2018, 12:27 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

What pistol is issued to any PD depends entirely on the contract they have. Baltimore PD issues a Glock 22. They issue sap gloves too, so even the littlest BPD copper can knock you out.
https://baltimorecitypolicehistory.c...d-weapons.html