The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 19, 2017, 05:20 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Crimp jumping in Charter Arms Pitbulls?

I'll admit that I like the Charter Pitbull revolvers. They're unique and there are few revolvers out there meant for concealed carry that shoot rimless cartridges.

We all know that Charter revolvers are fairly light due to their design and after reading a lot on the 9mm Ruger LCR, I have to ask: are the Charter Pitbulls also susceptible to jumping crimp?

I'm most interested in the .40 S&W Pitbull. Now, I'm not planning on using 180 grain bullets, 135 or 155 I think would be best to not just mitigate recoil, but because they're faster bullets and are more likely to expand.

And please don't give me any glib. The family's dog died this afternoon and we're all upset. Me especially.
Old December 19, 2017, 07:54 PM   #2
otasan

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your dog.
Old December 19, 2017, 11:38 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Thanks for the sympathy. Haven't had to say goodbye to a pet in over a decade.

Looking at the weight of the 9mm LCR and .40 Pitbull, the Pitbull only weighs 3-4 ounces more, but the recoil of .40 is slightly higher than 9mm. Idk, to me it seems like the .40 Pitbull's are just as likely to have crimp jump issues as the 9mm LCR.
Old December 20, 2017, 11:25 AM   #4
BeornLS

Hi Truth,

Sorry to hear about your dog My basset hound was my best friend for over 13 years, had him since he was a pup, and I lost him October of 2016. Been well over a year now and I still miss him every single day.

Can't help you on the Pitbull question, but I will say I've been eyeballing one of those in the .45 ACP version. I like the way the extractor is set up to where you don't need moon clips. I'll be curious to see if anyone else chimes in regarding the crimps.
Old December 20, 2017, 04:02 PM   #5
ThomasT

If the bullets aren't crimped in that light weight revolver then I would guess bullet jump will be an even bigger problem than with the 9mm. If the gun can use moon clips then you could roll crimp the bullets but that would mean getting a roll crimp tool from Corbin and adding your own crimp since I don't think there are any jacketed bullets in that caliber that come with a crimp. And if you are handloading then you have to consider the supposed ramifictions of using handloads in a SD situation.

If you hand load you may find lead bullets can be crimped and not move from recoil. But if sticking to factory loads you may just have to buy several different loads and try them. This is just one of the hazards of using auto pistol rounds in a gun designed for rimmed and crimped cartridges. But if Charter built it I am certain they found it to work so it may be a non issue in the end.

But if you are using it without moon clips then roll crimping is out since it head spaces on the case mouth.
Old December 20, 2017, 09:35 PM   #6
tallball

Just get the 44 special. They have been making them forever and they can't "jump crimp". It is pretty much the same as a 45acp or a 45 colt. It will slowly make a big hole in things. The things with the big hole in them will have a very bad day. Mine is my favorite CC handgun. They have sold a bazillion of them over the decades, because they are very effective.
Old December 20, 2017, 10:52 PM   #7
TruthTellers

I understand what you're saying tallball, but I'm looking at the .40 Pitbull as a backup for a Glock. I like having two guns that shoot the same cartridge.

I don't disagree with you about using a proper bullet that's crimped in properly and that's why I'm not getting the .45 ACP Pitbull and am waiting for the .45 Colt Bulldog to come out.
Old December 21, 2017, 07:09 PM   #8
BigJimP

Yes, I think you run the same risk...of this gun acting as a "kinetic bullet puller"....

Its the nature of the beast...in a straight wall caliber. I wouldn't trust it as a backup gun vs many other options out there in .38 or .357 mag...
Old December 22, 2017, 03:20 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Unfortunately, the only sure way to know is to test it, in your hands.

You might find everything works fine. You might find that brand A ammo has a crimp jump problem, and brand B does not. You might find an issue only with certain bullets and load levels.

The load level (generated recoil), the crimp, gun weight, and even your grip all play a part. Exactly what a given combination will do in your gun, in your hands can only be determined by shooting. Sorry.
Old December 24, 2017, 12:32 AM   #10
bedbugbilly

My sincere sympathies on the lose of your dear four legged friend - as a dog person, I feel your pain.

On the crimp jump - I'm guessing that it is the risk you run whenever you use a round designed for a single chamber semi and use it in a wheelgun. A taper crimp is adequate in a semi but a roll crimp prevents crimp jump in a revolver. I have used a taper crimp on my 45 Colt (Colt Long) and have never had an issue - the same on my 38 Colt Short and Long - but I'm not loading them near max either - and all are loaded with my cast lead rounds. In a revolver, I'd much rather have a cartridge that utilizes a rim and leave a cartridge that head spaces on the throat for the semi-autos. But that's just me and a lot of folks like the wheel guns that use the 9mm, 45ACP, etc.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 24, 2017, 09:57 AM   #11
OneFreeTexan

Do we know if there has been any problem with this actually happening? In a Charter Arms Pitbull?
Old December 24, 2017, 10:28 AM   #12
pelo801

I cant say for sure with a Charter, but I did have a Taurus 405. It would get bullet jump with 175 gr lead cast bullets. Not the same as the Charter, IIRC it used miinclips. But I do imagine certain loads, especially the 180 gr loads would jump crimp in the Charter.
Old December 24, 2017, 06:10 PM   #13
Nanuk

Sorry about the loss of your dog.

Have not had trouble with my 44 Bulldog jumping crimp. But I crimp mine good.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 24, 2017, 11:09 PM   #14
Buckeye!

I had a 40 S&W Pitbull when they first came out .. I only fired 180 gr ammo .. I never experienced any problems...
180gr should recoil less though..

Charter is coming out with a 45 Colt & 41 Magnum

I'm a Charter fan
Old December 25, 2017, 12:04 AM   #15
TruthTellers

Thank you to all who have expressed their sympathy for the loss of my friend and family pet. He was a unique soul and I'll miss him and his quirks, especially this Christmas.

Buckeye, I'm quickly finding myself to be a Charter fan. Got my eye on that .45 Colt and I've been thinking about getting a .22 LR made in Stratford or Bridgeport. Originally had been thinking about getting a Ruger LCRx .22 with the 3 inch barrel, but IDK, something just tells me to stay away from it after I waited 2 years for Ruger to make it.
Old December 25, 2017, 03:44 PM   #16
Master Blaster

Test the ammo you are going to carry. The quality of the crimp can vary by manufacturer and type. I once had Corbin 110 gain .38 +p ammo uncrimp in my S&W 642. I never experienced this issue with any other +p ammo.in the 642.
Old January 1, 2018, 09:21 AM   #17
Carl the Floor Walker

I can only speak for the LCR9mm which I am a huge fan of. One of my regular weekly range shooting guns. Crimp jump on the 9mm is so far blown out of proportion. Yes, there is some cheap range ammo that will do this. I had to experiment at the beginning. However, it was easy to sort out and there ARE SO MANY MANUFACTURES THAT do not crimp jump. I have not had a single one in a few thousands rounds after finding what works. My favorite is American Eagle, but I use many others with no problems.
My advice is to shoot often and just get to know your gun. (Ps, I normally shoot about 200 rounds per week with the LCR. I normally load up 40 moon clips the night before.
That said, I just bought a LCR22 to aid in more training. Have to say both guns are down right fun to shoot.
Old January 1, 2018, 09:47 AM   #18
Satchmoeddie

My experiences with the Pitbull .40 S&W & my condolences.

There is so much space in front of that .40 S&W in the Charter Arms cylinder, if you did experience bullet creep, you will probably never even notice it. It would jam from the back not the front, that's for sure! I shot HOT 180 grain 433 foot pounds of energy (from a 4" test barrel) Winchester Defender, ammo, from my Charter Arms .40 S&W. It kicks like a hot .357, but so what? I have had more problems with .357 J Frame Airweight S&Ws, jamming up. So far, the Pitbull .40 S&W has not been a problem (yet). I am not a fan of moon clips, and do I like the option of handing off either a 9mm or a .40 or a .45ACP magazine, and an appropriately loaded Charter Arms Pitbull, to an unarmed friend to shoot, and having him/her be able to use the same exact ammo, as my main EDC gun, for that day. They can reload off one or more of my spare box mags. It just works out really well, and I am trying to come up with a speed-loader, design too. If you are hand loading, you can put a canalure mid bullet, and crimp into that, kind of like the Mexican military 9mm. My FEG Hi Power, & even a couple of FN Hi Powers, and an R9 HATE that ammo with a passion. It takes a mallet to get the slides to move, and eject the stuck casings. Sorry to hear about your dog. They are a big part of the family, or at least my family. I had a rednose pitbull for 15 years, and she was the best smartest dog anyone in 4 generations had ever known. I lost her the day after 9-11. I still really miss that dog. You could turn her loose in the chapparal and when it was time to leave, just honk the horn a couple times, and she would be back in the truck in 5 or 10 minutes, depending on how far away she got. She could even say a few simple phrases, but none of that cliche "I love you" nonsense. Somehow she would say, "Hello", "I'm hungry", and "I want out". I sure do miss having that dog around. The one I have now is a total airhead. She did enjoy all the New Year's Eve fireworks, and random gunfire. She loves fireworks, and gunfire. The pitbull hated loud noises. Sorry for your loss! You have my deepest condolences. FYI: For range ammo, I am using Winchester 180 grain white box, or Blazer. No junk steel cased Russian Tula, Aluminum cased Federal, or other goofy stuff. Feed that junk to a CZ or a Glock, or better yet,, a camp fire.

Last edited by Satchmoeddie; January 1, 2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added the range ammo I use at the end.