The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2016, 05:55 PM   #1
MrGibson

First-time reloader with questions

Hey all,

In doing some homework about reloading (I've never reloaded before so bear with me), I've bought some reloading supplies for .45 Long Colt. They are as follows:

100 Rainier LeadSafe 250g bullets (.452 diameter)
100 .45 LC Starline Brass
1 lb. Unique
1000 Winchester Large Pistol primers
1 Lee Classic Loader

According to the load data that I've gotten, I need 7.2g of Unique (8g for hotter loads). The Lee kit comes with a dipper but I've seen people say that the Lee loader has a .7cc dipper (the kit is on it's way), which looks to be roughly 5.2g of Unique. By that math, shouldn't each load take ~1.5 dips or is that a bad idea? I'm looking into getting a digital scale, but am on a budget so any tips for this with using the dipper would be great.
Old February 10, 2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

.7cc dipper will give you 8 grains using Unique...I looking at
my Lee 45 Colt die chart.
Old February 10, 2016, 06:36 PM   #3
chris in va

I know you're on a budget, but please consider getting a Hand Press Kit when you can. It's a heck of a lot more flexible and frankly I prefer it over a bench mounted press. They don't cost all that much.

Also, having been in your position a while back using dippers, consider the also-inexpensive Perfect Powder Measure. Again...inexpensive and you don't have to mess with using multiple dippers.
Old February 10, 2016, 08:08 PM   #4
MrGibson

Quote:
.7cc dipper will give you 8 grains using Unique...I looking at
my Lee 45 Colt die chart.
I'm looking at my Lee chart and it's showing .7cc dippers will give 6.4gr of Unique. Where do you see it as 8?
Old February 10, 2016, 08:24 PM   #5
KEYBEAR

MrGibson

Please Tell me where you got your load data ? I load 45 CL and Unique I use 7.5 and that would be a max load (250gr lead). if you think 1.1/2 dippers may be ok you need to rethink reloading . Reloading needs to be done safely with zero guess work . A dipper and a half is not being responsible . If the dipper holds 8gr, a dipper and a half would be 12gr. (or 11gr or 14gr ) just enough to blow you to and your gun up . If you do not have the things you need to load safely you are not ready to do it .

You need a Manual = Scale =press = dies = brass = primers and Powder .
Yes it cost money to do it right .

I would like to see you reloading but not anything like suggested in the post .
Old February 10, 2016, 08:41 PM   #6
MrGibson

Quote:
Please Tell me where you got your load data ? I load 45 CL and Unique I use 7.5 and that would be a max load (250gr lead). if you think 1.1/2 dippers may be ok you need to rethink reloading . Reloading needs to be done safely with zero guess work . A dipper and a half is not being responsible . If the dipper holds 8gr, a dipper and a half would be 12gr. (or 11gr or 14gr ) just enough to blow you to and your gun up . If you do not have the things you need to load safely you are not ready to do it .

You need a Manual = Scale =press = dies = brass = primers and Powder .
Yes it cost money to do it right .
I just picked up the Lee Hand Loader http://www.midwayusa.com/product/246...-loader-45-acp. Shouldn't this be sufficient instead of a full-blown press? I also do not have a scale. It looks like I'll need to buy one since the amount of powder is very important.

The chart that comes with the Lee loader doesn't have any data for 250gr Lead bullets that use Unique, so I'm kind of in that dark about how much to use. Could you recommend a good manual?

I appreciate the feedback and am eager to learn, thanks all
Old February 10, 2016, 09:19 PM   #7
KEYBEAR

MrGibson

I will help you all I can . Yes you need a scale and a good manual .
Look at the new Lyman it is full of loads for cast bullets .

Reloading can be very safe but you need to know what powder and how much . If the manual calls for a Max load of 7.5gr of Unique for the 45 LC and 250 lead bullet that is the MAX not 7.8 .

I load 45LC with Unique and most are at 7gr. (250gr lead) because it is just easer to shoot .

Be Safe
Old February 10, 2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Hiram Abiff 106

You can get a lee powder thrower for pretty cheap. Also my buddy relodas 45 lc with titegroup and he swears by it.
Old February 10, 2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Metal god

I get it when money is tight . How ever reloading in not something you want to do on the fly . The Lyman manual is a very good one to start out with .http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-49th-Edi...s=lyman+manual

Don't rush into this hobby if you can't afford the most important pieces . Take your time and buy one thing a month or what ever your budget allows . For me I have Champlain taste and a beer budget and no patients to wait . So I know it can be hard to take your time but when your brand new to reloading . Baby steps is your best course of action . Get the manual first and you can read up while you save for the next item .

I also believe you MUST have a scale . You don't always have to use it but you will need to know exactly what your dippers will hold . I have the whole set of dippers and never really use them . Not once have they dipped a charge I actually needed so I'm not a fan . Yes they can dip a charge that will work but I prefer loading ammo that works best not just works .

Budget scales , I'm not sure i'd recommend either of these but they are both better then nothing .
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/712...grain-capacity

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175...grain-capacity

After you get and start reading the manual you will have many more questions . I know I did .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 10, 2016, 10:32 PM   #10
MrGibson

Quote:
Reloading can be very safe but you need to know what powder and how much . If the manual calls for a Max load of 7.5gr of Unique for the 45 LC and 250 lead bullet that is the MAX not 7.8 .

I load 45LC with Unique and most are at 7gr. (250gr lead) because it is just easer to shoot .
Thank you, it's still ok for me to use the Lee loader that I bought, right? I will also grab a scale and manual. Should I go digital or use a tipping scale?
Old February 10, 2016, 10:34 PM   #11
kilimanjaro

The digital scales are simpler to use, IMO, and you won't be unhappy with one.

Nothing wrong with the Lee press. Don't use the dippers, they're a failed system, if you ask me.

As soon as you can afford the manual and a digital scale, go and get one, you'll be pleased with the accuracy and won't be working with dippers and equivalents. It's just one additional step in the process that can lead to a wrong charge. Take that out of the process and keep it simple.

I've seen people pick up the wrong dipper and use it, very common error.

Never, ever, exceed the published maximum load. Anyone who tells you that is OK is an idiot who can hurt you.

For a beginner, you should be using only published loads.

There is no 'roughly 5.2cc' weights, or '1.5 dips', or anything of that nature in reloading. There are charge weights by grains, and only charge weights by grain. Do not use volumes as a substitute for weighed charges. Just the room temperature will change the weight of a volume of powder, as will the type of powder used. Again, that is additional steps in the process that are prone to introducing systematic error, or 'pilot error', into your reloading sessions.

Keep it simple. Manual, scale, press, calipers.
Old February 10, 2016, 11:30 PM   #12
AL45

I started out using a classic loader and dippers in .308. It's important to dip exactly the same and "strike" the dipper off level. I produced some very accurate ammunition with it. I have also loaded 1000's of rounds of .45 Colt using the dippers. I did purchase a Lee reloading manual, a set of dippers and a scale to reaffirm the grains I was dipping. I now use a Lee powder measure which was inexpensive and faster than using the dippers. Depending on your gun, the .45 Colt is an extremely versatile caliber for a reloader. I own a Ruger Blackhawk and can load lightweight loads a kid could handle to loads that will rival a .44 magnum.
Old February 11, 2016, 01:10 AM   #13
MrGibson

I've been looking around at different digital scales, and I think I've found one that people generally agree is extremely accurate: http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-50108-...ustomerReviews is this the sort of scale that you guys are referring to? Is it practical for the individual hand loading that i'd be doing? If so, i'd be willing to save for it but I want to make sure that I'm aiming at the right thing first (pun intended)
Old February 11, 2016, 10:55 AM   #14
Mauser69

STOP and READ A BOOK!

Please think long and hard about what you are about to do - This hobby is very gratifying and can be very safe, but only if you KNOW a thing or two and have some idea about what you DO NOT KNOW.

Everyone on here has personal opinions and will gladly try to steer you their own way. Just as an example, I personally feel that digital scales are the devil's way of ruining everything for new reloaders - the WORST possible thing you could buy. But you have already seen that other people disagree...

Before you do ANYTHING, please buy a copy of Richard Lee's Modern Reloading and READ IT ALL. This is very very important BEFORE you start trying to play with fire and explosives that you just do not understand.

BTW, I think Lee products are a great way to start reloading, and the dippers are just fine IF you understand how to use them. You will quickly grow beyond them, but they are a fine way to start on a budget. The Lee dies will come with appropriate loads on the instructions. No matter what, I would not load anything without having a decent beam scale to check the powder charges.
Old February 11, 2016, 11:08 AM   #15
F. Guffey

Quote:
Everyone on here has personal opinions and will gladly try to steer you their own way.
Not me, I am the fan of reading and comprehension. I can explain it; I can not comprehend it for anyone. R. Lee is his unread book explained how scientifically his dippers were designed. His dippers were designed to measure the starting load when raked off level with the top of the dipper (with a special business card).

And then; he went on to say it was impossible to overcharge the load if the dipper was not leveled with a business card. He then wasted more time explaining the cone.

F. Guffey
Old February 11, 2016, 12:23 PM   #16
HSI

New reloaders take note !!!

First thing new reloaders should do is find some one that been doing it for sometime.
Number 1 is saftey !!!
Number 2 don't buy cheap equipment buy the best you can afford.
Number 3 You need a good press make loads equal A GOOD powder measure,
A great scale forget the digital stuff for now. old mech. scales work right no guessing if it's on or off. I use Lyman's reloading manuals they are full of great info. and since Lyman only make equipment they are very straight down the middle with the info.
Last thing is good dies they will make your job much better also spend a little more now and never have to worry about replacing them.
Take this how ever you chose but know this I have been loading over 50 years make my own brass when needed and never had a problem. Guessing at powder weights will only get you in trouble.
Old February 11, 2016, 01:16 PM   #17
MrGibson

Hey folks,

After reading your feedback, I bit the bullet and went out and got a Lyman digital scale at my local sporting goods store: http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Micro-To.../dp/B00AU6CCB4 as well as a reloading manual http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-49th-Edi...ding+manual+49, a pair of digital calipers, and a Hornady trickler for getting more precise loads. Thank you all for the constructive feedback and I will be sure to read the manual before I do ANYTHING.
Old February 11, 2016, 01:31 PM   #18
mikld

Don't let anyone talk you out of a Lee Loader, they're great. I started with one in '69 (way pre-web) and reloaded mebbe 1,000 rounds before I was told I couldn't get decent reloads using one (every round fired and got some pretty accurate loads with mine). I now own 4 presses, 14 die sets, 3 powder measures, 4 scales and a half ton of assorted reloading tools and I still will pull out one of my 4 Lee Loaders on occasion and load up a box of ammo. A Lee Loader will teach you how to reload and what every step does and why, out in the open.

Some say they are too slow. How about less than one minute for a finished round? Some say they are too loud. Listen; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc A scale is a very good thing to use to see exactly what your dipped charges weigh.

But you need at least one reloading manual mostly for the "How To" section in front. Mebbe think about reading a copy of The ABCs of Reloading.

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...
Old February 11, 2016, 03:04 PM   #19
Fotheringill

My collective wisdom, so far, based upon purchasing first and then learning-

Don't.

Electronic scale and dispenser to start with- pass on them. It is not necessary to learn with a $200-$350 piece of equipment which may or may not be as accurate as you will be led to expect. I would suggest a mid level balance beam, a simple inexpensive scale and a powder trickler.

A Lee press and inexpensive Lee dies are just fine forever or until you decide you want something a step up in class. Learn first what each die is capable of doing for you as well as how to use the dies for their intended purposes and how to get the intended results.

Be aware that anyone can post on You Tube and appear to be an expert on a topic. Many are not. Listen to the collective wisdom of those with whom you have personal contact as well as asking on this board and others. Many people will tout a particular item just because they own that item and not tell you that X brand Model 7 works better; for example- did I need a Wilson super duper case trimmer? No, but it was recommended to me to be the best one on the market. It might very well be, but was it necessary to pay $180 for a trimmer? Nope. Get the RCBS Competition full length sizing die and Competition seating die, I'm told. They're great for $110. $40 dies will do just as well once one learns how to use them. You can wait until a year or more from now to step up to a set of Redding bushing dies with micrometers. (Sorry for venting at my own stupidity and resulting mistakes).

Again, go slow, read a lot, ask questions and absorb the answers you get with a grain of salt, Basic function is basic function. Do you NEED all of the bells and whistles to start with? No, not when another piece of equipment may get you there more slowly but surely with more knowledge as you go along. I am an expert of nothing reloading related but I have made mistakes and it will pain me to see someone else make the same ones.