The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 8, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Ramjet

Inherited C3 weapons

I have recently inherited four class 3 weapons from my father, who assumed room temp last August. My question is, how do I get these pieces from Vegas, where he lived, to Dallas, where I live, without getting cross ways with ATF? I currently have them stored in locked cases in a vault of a class 3 dealer in Vegas. I spoke with the C3 dealer who arranged the original purchases and he advised that as long as I was in the process of executing my father's will, I could transfer them to Texas myself, in my own vehicle, without being form 4 registered. Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of issue?
Old December 8, 2008, 05:19 PM   #2
aroundlsu

You and the dealer are in serious violation if he is storing them. All your answers are on the ATF NFA website:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/nfab/index.htm

The executor of an estate that includes registered NFA firearms is responsible for maintaining custody and control of registered NFA firearms and for arranging for transfers of the firearms. The executor should take this action as soon as possible, generally by the close of probate. However, ATF will allow the executor reasonable time to arrange for the transfer of the registered firearms in a decedent’s estate.

Firearms may not be transferred to another party, such as a Federal firearms licensee, for consignment or safekeeping. This is a transfer, which is subject to the requirements of the NFA and must be approved by ATF; however, a licensee may assist the executor by identifying purchasers and by acting as a broker.
Old December 8, 2008, 07:48 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Aroundlsu is correct. If you are the executor of the estate, you must first get the guns legally transferred to you, which is not automatic on inheritance. There is no tax, but the paper work must be completed and approved before you can legally take possession.

Please contact BATFE and work with them. This is a pretty common situation and they do try to do everything they can to help without creating problems. Do not take the word of the dealer, or me, or anyone else and if possible get any information BATFE gives you in writing.

Jim
Old December 8, 2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Ramjet

Got it. Will do.

Thank you aroundlsu. You have helped me so much and I appreciate you. I will get this problem fixed ASAP.

And you too Jim... Thanks

Last edited by Ramjet; December 8, 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: second thought