The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 22, 2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Nathan

Revolver for women and smaller waisted people in general...

Please understand that I am not trying to be sexist. I'm trying to define what would be an ideal carry gun for my wife.....I believe.

CALIBER
Generally my wife prefers 9mm, but in an xds or larger gun or 22 or shooting. IMO, 32 S&W or 38 S&W would be ok in a smaller gun.

32 s&w: 85-100gr bullet at 700fps

Or a 32 auto: 73 gr at 950 fps

Or 380 auto: 95 gr at 900fps

Or 38 s&w: ~100 gr @ 900 fps

Or 38 short Colt: ~100 gr @ 700fps

GUN:
Self ejecting top break 5-6 shot revolver with a boot grip sized for small hands. A little bling like polished SS with matte blasted top strap and black sights. 2-3" barrel. Fancy dark grips. DAO hammerless action with 5-6 lb pull. Lemon squeezer safety. The bling part would be key....the maker would have to create something that can be marketed as stylish the way tactical is marketed to 20-30 yr old men.

HOLSTER
Bra attaching under arm holster.
Or thin leather lined kydex owb, but formed for a very small waist.
Or a kydex own with sticky outside for yoga pant/jegging carry.
Old October 22, 2016, 10:00 AM   #2
TXAZ

<Staying under the Mod's Radar >
According to a relative who has a 'brolster', you have to be pretty careful with a 'bra holster'. Depending upon the size of the 'surrounding area', the size of the gun, what you're wearing and how much you bounce, that may or may not be a good choice.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 22, 2016, 10:35 AM   #3
Nathan

This may require a deep dive into the study of what braziers hold!

I agree that as a middle aged male that my bra knowledge is somewhat limited. ....but from an outsiders view, it looks like a belt that may have additional load bearing capacity available.
Old October 22, 2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Wyosmith

I have had many women in classes I have taught over the last 30 years, and in the last 10 or so the bra holsters have become pretty common.

The thing I have observed is that it seems to be a comfort thing, and bust size and body size have not seemed to be a factor.

In other words, I would have thought that maybe busty women or small breasted women would prefer one kind and the other body type would prefer another.....but that was wrong. There seems to be no pattern at all.

The women who like the bra holsters seem to be of all sizes and all builds, and those that dislike them also seem to be of no particular build of weight.

I had 3 women in a class about 2 years ago who could all wear the same clothing and bra they were so close in build. One loved the Flash-ban holsters and another tried it and said it was very uncomfortable for her. The 3rd one didn't like the fact that she had to wear something that could be pulled up to draw the gun, but liked how comfortable the holster was. There was a flash bang made for a 2" S&W J frame and one made for a Ruger LCP. All 3 women worked with both holsters and both guns. At the end of the class there were 3 differing opinions of the flash-bang bra carry.

So I can't give any advice, other than have them try it and see.

I know a lady who works at a sporting good store about 15 miles form me who carries a 4" K frame round butt 357 in a flash bang and says she forgets it's there.
Other women seem to think a pocket size 32 or 380 feels huge there.

My friends wife says between the boobs is uncomfortable but carries a 2" Ruger LCR 38 just tucked alongside one breast like the "Marilyn holster" position, but with no holster at all. Just has a loop she sewed onto the bra strap to hold it in place. It looks to me as if that would be very uncomfortable, but she says it isn't. She has quite a "set" so there is plenty of room in the cup, but the gun is against skin 100%. She isn't bothered at all.

Who knows?
Old October 22, 2016, 10:52 AM   #5
ThomasT

The visuals in this thread are interesting.

And until now I have never heard of a bra holster.

As to the gun for the OPs wife try to find a S&W model 431PD with a hammer or maybe better yet the version with the concealed hammer (432 IIRC) in 32 mag. Just a perfect lightweight little gun in 32 magnum and of course you have the choice of shooting the 32 long or just download the mag rounds to whatever comfort level she needs. Mine weighs 15oz. loaded with 6 85gr hollow points. Too bad S&W dropped them from the line.
Old October 22, 2016, 11:55 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...my wife prefers 9mm..." That's where you should stop thinking about it. It's about what she likes, not you. The 'ideal' firearm for anybody is the one they can shoot best anyway. Take her shopping.
Forget .32 and .38 S&W altogether. Insufficient energy. Not really easy to find either. Midway lists only 2 brands of .32 S&W as being available. Three brands for the .38. The Short Colt is even worse. Two brands at Midway and it's no better than the other two energy wise. No firearms currently made for it other than standard .38 Specials(that'd be better than any of the cartridge you think she needs.
"...my bra knowledge is somewhat limited..." Um, best you stay out of them, then. snicker. Seems like a really daft place for a firearm though.
Never figured out what a 'yoga pant' is myself. Don't want to know either.
Old October 22, 2016, 01:24 PM   #7
tallball

I would suggest an LCR in 327 magnum. My wife and daughter prefer 32 magnum snubbies. Since my wifey is 6'4" and has triple G cups, she could probably fit a 1911 in there.
Old October 22, 2016, 01:27 PM   #8
Nathan

This is not about buying a gun for my wife. My wife is at her own stage in her journey....that stage has her shooting an XDS and a CZ75 in 9mm, with no hope of carrying either, in her words, not mine.

My point was that women who mostly desire some adherence to fashion, find themselves struggling with gun size, too big, and recoil, too much. I gathered this by asking.

While many men are gravitating towards roughly 9mm subcompact guns, I find there is little below this in size or recoil tha fit many women's tighter clothing and smaller pockets.
Old October 22, 2016, 03:10 PM   #9
Darkstar888

LCR has a smaller width of the cylinder than a J frame even with same capacity. Excellent trigger and recoil reducing grip. Great carry gun. I'd go with the 9mm version with moon clips. Great caliber and super fast reloads.
Old October 23, 2016, 11:35 AM   #10
TailGator

If I understand you, you point is that many women have very different needs than most men, and that is undoubtedly so. My wife wanted a carry pistol small enough to dress around a stay stylish, but still shot well. She wound up with a Sig P238, and it also had the all-important "cute" factor. (I was grateful that she was as unimpressed as me by the rainbow slide.)

Holster needs are certainly different, too. My wife took one look at the Flash Bang holster and pronounce it to be a good way to convert a properly fitting comfortable bra into one with none of those qualities. Obviously, some women like them, though.

I can only conclude that women have even more of a need for individualized selections in pistol, holster, and cover garments than do men, and lord knows we all have our opinions.

And Nathan, you gave me a grin, because braziers and brassieres hold vastly different materials.

Last edited by TailGator; October 25, 2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old October 23, 2016, 12:20 PM   #11
Nathan

^^^^^ooops!
Old October 23, 2016, 12:43 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
GUN:
Self ejecting top break 5-6 shot revolver with a boot grip sized for small hands. A little bling like polished SS with matte blasted top strap and black sights. 2-3" barrel. Fancy dark grips. DAO hammerless action with 5-6 lb pull. Lemon squeezer safety. The bling part would be key....the maker would have to create something that can be marketed as stylish the way tactical is marketed to 20-30 yr old men.
So this is some sort of meaningless fantasy thread?
Lots of small, easily concealed revolvers, and semi-autos in all sorts of "lady" colors already on the market. Plenty of "low recoil" 9MM, and 38 Spcl. ammo options as well. Even with pink tipped boolets!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 23, 2016, 08:54 PM   #13
Nathan

Have you actually seen an I frame? They are much smaller than even a J frame. Yet they still carry a measurable round...
Old October 24, 2016, 03:51 AM   #14
Cosmodragoon

You've got a lot of recommendations for the LCR and I'll add another. Having used a bunch of them in different calibers, I think 327 really shines on the platform. It is more powerful than .38 special or 9mm. The recoil isn't much worse and you get an extra shot! While you can run 9mm bullet weights in .327, I prefer the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks for the LCR.

(Of course, you can run shorter .32-caliber cartridges like the H&R Magnum or S&W Long if less recoil is needed.)
Old October 24, 2016, 07:51 PM   #15
Jim Watson

If you can come up with a 5 lb DA reliable enough to go to war with, you will rule the revolver market.
Old October 24, 2016, 08:05 PM   #16
jamiesaun

Definitely a j frame in .357.

Now as far as carry, ya got me. I'm really not up on tactical underwear. But for god sakes, don't go with the purse carry option. That's just such a bad idea.
Old October 25, 2016, 06:55 AM   #17
Master Blaster

Forget the top break and the lemon Squeezer option, as that means antique or rare guns that may not shoot modern ammo. If you have to have a revolver Look at a Smith 642, or at a Black widow. Otherwise consider an LCP which would be easier to carry in a constrained holster for weight and size reasons, and would still carry a reasonable amount of modern ammo.