The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2021, 08:57 PM   #26
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Money I can not spend on ammo went to Rosetta Stone to learn Mandarin. The way things are going it will be the National language. If the terrorist do not burn down the whole US with Riots and looting first.
I hope not, I am Chinese from Hong Kong. I am NOT with China. It's too bad we have the current resident in the WH, I am all the way and whole heartdely for the former president. the current Resident of WH is going to sell us to China.

Remember, just because someone is Chinese doesn't mean they are for China.

I have the good old red white and blue flying proudly in front of my house. Check the welfare stats, we are NOT the kind that raise the Chinese flag and get on welfare to eat off this great country.

Last edited by Alan0354; February 13, 2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old February 13, 2021, 09:00 PM   #27
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I hope not, I am Chinese from Hong Kong. I am NOT with China. It's too bad we have the current resident in the WH, I am all the way and whole heartdely for the former president. the current Resident of WH is going to sell us to China.

Remember, just because someone is Chinese doesn't mean they are for China.

I have the good old red white and blue flying proudly in front of my house.
I hear ya Brother! May God Bless you and your family and the good old USA!
Old February 15, 2021, 12:37 AM   #28
TruthTellers

Yeah, I've got my list and everything on it is pretty much in a holding pattern because they're either not available or overpriced or I see no reason to buy them when certain ammo I don't reload is selling for triple what it normally does.

Thus, I'm getting more into black powder and for years I've said I'm not gonna buy a .31 I figured with how easy it is to sell and ship them on Gunbroker, why not? It'll be something new I can explore and when the thrill is gone and I get tired of it, it's gone and I get my money back and I won't have spent triple on lead and caps like I would on ammo or primers.
Old February 16, 2021, 09:26 AM   #29
gnystrom

I live in MN and in reality, I have seen little changes in the price of firearms and even availability is close to normal for many of the more popular guns. Our LGS has used Glock 17's at $450 and a good selection of Rock Islands at under $500.
That said, ammo is a different story.
What you need to consider is capacity which in my opinion will become a major topic in the coming weeks.
I am literally down to two semi-autos that hold more than 10 rounds and both of those guns have a factory 10 round mag in the bag.
I reload so I can only pass on some advice to people that are considering adding another gun to an already stocked collection and that would be, buy ammo as that has become the most difficult part of our hobby to find.

Last edited by gnystrom; February 16, 2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old February 16, 2021, 09:19 PM   #30
Shadow9mm

For me, gun prices have changed some, but not much. Ammo is insane. If you want a gun get one. They will most likely have a box of ammo set aside for people who purchase guns. They start sourcing it as you can find it.
Old February 16, 2021, 09:46 PM   #31
Tom-R2

Since I retired, I've built a few from 80% kits. Not saving money, but enjoying the journey. I've bought a few too, but it's been a great learning experience to build them.
Old February 17, 2021, 09:09 AM   #32
Skans

If there was a pistol that I just had to have right now, I'd buy it, even at inflated prices. But, there is no such beast out there for me right now.
Old February 17, 2021, 07:03 PM   #33
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
If there was a pistol that I just had to have right now, I'd buy it, even at inflated prices. But, there is no such beast out there for me right now.
I think all of us here have plenty of pistols, I don't think we have to have any particular one, more like WANT to have!!!

I had to have a Glock, I just got it, now is what I want to have.
Old February 17, 2021, 07:13 PM   #34
Kreyzhorse

If you want something, find something you want and make it happen. Time is short and the next 4 years are not going to change what you are seeing right now. In fact, today is the best day to buy a firearm. Tomorrow is only going to be worse.

Biden might actually be a better gun salesman than Obama.
Old February 18, 2021, 01:31 AM   #35
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
If you want something, find something you want and make it happen. Time is short and the next 4 years are not going to change what you are seeing right now. In fact, today is the best day to buy a firearm. Tomorrow is only going to be worse.

Biden might actually be a better gun salesman than Obama.
No, it is going to change........for the worst. I was out of shooting and guns for 30 years, because of the time now, I am back and I bought my Glock 26 above the MSRP. I am usually cheap, I never pay even MSRP for anything, now I paid above it. It's going to get worst. Resident of the WH already talking about straighter gun law already, trying to limit the magazine like kalifornia.
Old February 18, 2021, 05:26 AM   #36
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
I live in MN and in reality, I have seen little changes in the price of firearms and even availability is close to normal for many of the more popular guns. Our LGS has used Glock 17's at $450 and a good selection of Rock Islands at under $500.
That said, ammo is a different story.
What you need to consider is capacity which in my opinion will become a major topic in the coming weeks.
I am literally down to two semi-autos that hold more than 10 rounds and both of those guns have a factory 10 round mag in the bag.
I reload so I can only pass on some advice to people that are considering adding another gun to an already stocked collection and that would be, buy ammo as that has become the most difficult part of our hobby to find.
I agree with you, which is why I made an effort last year to focus on whatever held more than 10 rds. About the only two pistols I have on the back burner that have mags that hold more than 10 rds are two Berettas, the Px4 subcompact and a beater 81 that I want to convert to .32 NAA.

Been thinking about buying the mags for them before I buy the guns, but I already spent a bunch of money on pmags because I think there's going to be a run on mags soon once people realize the 2 or 3 they have isn't enough.

The good thing about very popular magazine configurations like the AR, AK, Glock, 10/22, Beretta 92, S&W M&P is that multiple companies will make guns that accept those mags.
Old February 19, 2021, 09:12 AM   #37
jetinteriorguy

I’m kind of back and forth. I’d like a Henry Long Ranger in 6.5 CM, a Henry BBS .357 mag with the side loading gate, Ruger bolt action rifles that take normal hicap P-mags in both 6.5 CM and .223. And handgun wise a nice smaller revolver that hold six rounds with a 3” barrel, something like the Kimber K6 or a Smith K frame.
Old February 19, 2021, 01:42 PM   #38
tomrkba

Here is your answer:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...13&PageSize=96
Old February 22, 2021, 12:25 PM   #39
Desmosedici

I'd really like an HK VP9, as I rented one and really, really liked it. Felt great in my hand. But with ammo the way it is right now, I'm not going to get it. I am financially dinged pretty good shooting 5.56 at the moment, and I do own another 9mm, and currently I'm not shooting it as I just don't have the rounds to practice with, and I'm not buying them at the prices they are going for. I was fortunate to stockpile .45 prior to the ammo run, so that's all I'm shooting at the moment outside of my AR, and that is far less frequent due to the amount of ammo I have on hand.
Old February 25, 2021, 12:29 PM   #40
hdbiker

I made the rounds of all the local gun stores and pawn shops the other day. The gun inventory is a joke, almost nothing to buy that you would want, and what's left have inflated prices. Ammo is coming back a little bit but reloading supply's are sold out. So I called around to three major mail order chain stores looking for Lee bullet molds. Was told they hadn't had the popular molds sense last October. Last resort I called Lee Precision about ordering a couple new molds, Custer Service wasn't taking calls right now !!! hdbiker
Old February 26, 2021, 06:57 PM   #41
ciwsguy

Alan0354,
I hear you. I've been eyeing the CZ75 Compact. Metal Frame. It gets very good reviews.
I recently purchased a S&W M&P Shield 9 EZ which has a polymer frame. It's very easy to rack, field strip, shoot and load, especially for arthritic hands. My only complaint with it is it shoots low at 10 yds.
Old February 27, 2021, 12:12 AM   #42
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy View Post
Alan0354,
I hear you. I've been eyeing the CZ75 Compact. Metal Frame. It gets very good reviews.
I recently purchased a S&W M&P Shield 9 EZ which has a polymer frame. It's very easy to rack, field strip, shoot and load, especially for arthritic hands. My only complaint with it is it shoots low at 10 yds.
Since I cannot buy a gun for another 9 days, I am just going back and fore. Right now, I am going for a bigger caliber like .40 or 45ACP. For .40, I am looking at S&W M&P 40 Shield, for 45, I am looking at Glock. My choice is very limited in Kalif. I would really want S&W M&P bigger ones with 10 rounds( again it's the limit of kalif) rather than the Shield that is 7+1. So I am still contemplating a 45ACP. If I cannot get more rounds, I'll get a bigger round.

Another one of potential is Sig SP2022 40. all the other Sig are not available. Only other one is P239 SAS 40, very expensive.
Old February 27, 2021, 06:46 AM   #43
ojibweindian

There a few small shops in my area that haven't jacked things up to insane levels; for example, I just recently bought another brand new, in the box, Glock 17 Gen 3 for $519. The same shop has Gen 3 Glock 19s for $509. I'll likely buy one from them in the near-future, just because I've never owned one.
Old February 27, 2021, 03:57 PM   #44
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibweindian View Post
There a few small shops in my area that haven't jacked things up to insane levels; for example, I just recently bought another brand new, in the box, Glock 17 Gen 3 for $519. The same shop has Gen 3 Glock 19s for $509. I'll likely buy one from them in the near-future, just because I've never owned one.
You live in Al, you are lucky.

I paid $650 + $100 fee for my Glock 26 and that's not a bad price already. People are afraid here in Kalif. You state likely is a whole lot safer than here, you don't have that many crazy people. It's like you're lucky to get one here.

But don't take for granted, buy it now before things change. Remember who's the Resident in the WH, he already working on changing the gun law. I am sure you can get one with 17 rounds, don't sit on it.
Old February 27, 2021, 06:25 PM   #45
Alan0354

I was calling around for .40, 10mm and 45. One store quoted me minimum $999 for a Glock 21,22 and 29. This is called highway robbery.
Old February 27, 2021, 06:38 PM   #46
m&p45acp10+1

I have been holding off on buying any new guns, as well as conserving ammo. Hopefully when ammo, and reloading components will sit on the shelf longer than a few minutes I will then buy something. Also the stores around here have been slim pickings at best.
Old February 27, 2021, 07:52 PM   #47
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&p45acp10+1 View Post
I have been holding off on buying any new guns, as well as conserving ammo. Hopefully when ammo, and reloading components will sit on the shelf longer than a few minutes I will then buy something. Also the stores around here have been slim pickings at best.
I look at it this way, get the gun now, ammo can come back later. Just having some new toy guns at the mean time!!!

You should not have much problem in Tx. If it's not for family ties, I would move to Tx already. I love Round Rock and Cedar Park area. AND I love the beef. Your beef tasted better than in Kalif. We can't get as good beef in fancy restaurants as your Black Angus.
Old February 28, 2021, 08:24 AM   #48
Carl the Floor Walker

Personally I believe the price of firearms will go down. At some point people are going to learn that a Firearm without ammo is doing nothing but buying a paper weight. Where I live they use to give away a box of ammo for each gun purchase. Now even that has gone away and the LG's do not even have any ammo. Restrictions, laws etc. are increasing each and every month. Ammo manufacturers are IMO putting out nothing but lies when they say they will not expand because they fear a Glut in the market down the road. I do not belive that at all. I believe they are not expanding because they fear they will not have a market to even sell to other than the Police and Military. And police and Military being defunding all the time.

Ps Any one know a good bow and arrow starter set? How about Cross Bows?

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 28, 2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old February 28, 2021, 10:08 AM   #49
shurshot

Don't buy a cheap crossbow. Lots of them are made in China, and won't last. You get what you pay for.

Excalibur (Canadian made), is pretty nice quality and with a scope, easily gives you rifle like accuracy to 60 yards or more. Recurve limbs are best, simple, rugged and durable.

Same goes for regular vertical bows. Buy quality. A Bear Grizzly or Super Kodiak in 40 or 45 pounds will probably last you a lifetime for hunting and backyard practice. Simple and rugged.

Arrows and crossbow bolts can be used over and over, FAR cheaper in the long run than current ammunition. Silent in the backyard too.
Old February 28, 2021, 01:31 PM   #50
ojibweindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
You live in Al, you are lucky.

I paid $650 + $100 fee for my Glock 26 and that's not a bad price already. People are afraid here in Kalif. You state likely is a whole lot safer than here, you don't have that many crazy people. It's like you're lucky to get one here.

But don't take for granted, buy it now before things change. Remember who's the Resident in the WH, he already working on changing the gun law. I am sure you can get one with 17 rounds, don't sit on it.
$750 total for a G26? That truly sucks.