The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2021, 09:40 AM   #1
dontcatchmany

Mossberg 590 12 ga converson to 20 ga?

I have a Mssberg 590 Shockwave 12 ga and am wondering if it can be converted to 20 ga?????

I have some 12 ga low recoil ammo on order but just in case it is a tad too much for my old body I am posing this question.

Scoured the www and can not find an answer or a 20 ga 590 that does not have a ridiculous price tag.

If the gun can be converted where to find a barrel and other things to do the conversion.

Thanks, this is my dumb question numbered some where in the millions...lol!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; February 19, 2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old February 19, 2021, 09:48 AM   #2
FITASC

Bolt faces are different sizes as is the mag tube; while not impossible, it would most likely be cost prohibitive.
To reduce recoil, shoot the lightest and slowest payload in the heaviest gun you can handle that fits
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 19, 2021, 10:43 AM   #3
dontcatchmany

Thanks, I kinda thought that but was unsure.

OH, well I will see what the low recoil ammo does in that gun. I have plenty of other guns that will work.

This is one of those "I got a wild hair up kebooza".

Thanks again.
Old February 19, 2021, 10:21 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Simple.
Sell it and if a 20 gauge exists in that model then buy that whenever you can find it.

On the other hand winchester low recoil loads weren't bad. Almost wonder if there's a downgraded mini shell for them.
Old February 20, 2021, 12:19 AM   #5
KyJim

Get an OPSol Mini-Clip 2.0 and buy some mini-shells. https://www.opsolmini-clip.com/
Old February 20, 2021, 12:50 AM   #6
rc

Frame size is different too. Magazine size is smaller diameter. Definitely a trade situation rather than a conversion. 1oz shells kick pretty mild and there is low recoil buck shot out there for 12 gauge.
Old February 20, 2021, 06:13 PM   #7
dontcatchmany

I have had the Opsol mini clip for several years, but I would not trust it for defense. And I have about 180 rounds of the minishells.

But I took another look at Opsol and they have a 2.0 Flex model that I have on order. Videos show it to be pretty reliable.

I also have low recoil ammo being shipped.

Maybe one/both will work. Meanwhile I have my 20 ga Mossberg 500 Persuader with a birdshead grip that shoots very nicely. Had it out this am. And the 870 Express Magnum has always been reliable.

Thanks folks. I appreciate your input.
Old February 22, 2021, 09:40 AM   #8
bladesmith 1

Maybe find someone who will reload some 12ga 3/4oz shells for you. They're all I shoot and recoil is very low. At 74 years old I can shoot 150/200 clay bird events in one day without any recoil problems. And they break birds just fine. Even 7/8oz for what you want would still be low recoil.
Old February 22, 2021, 10:24 AM   #9
FITASC

^^^^^^^^ YEP! I reload 3/4oz for both 12 and 20; getting 533 loads from a bag of expensive shot AND getting a clay-crushing low recoil load is a double win. I run mine at 1275fps; they work my gas guns and function flawlessly from my O/Us and SxS as well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa