The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2021, 06:44 PM   #1
44caliberkid

Semi Auto AR and AK Based Shotguns

I'm noticing that 12 gauge semi autos based on AK or AR receivers are becoming pretty popular. I also noticed some at the local GS, with AR firing crontrols but otherwise a proprietary upper and lower receiver. I don't remember the manufacturer, strange to me. They were $650 - $750. All these are box fed. I also noticed an AR 12 gauge on Palmetto on sale last week for $549. I'm not a shotgun guy but I am an AK/AR guy. So my questions are: Between the AR and AK design, which one adapts to shotgun use the best? Reliability? Who makes the good stuff that's not over $800?
I'm not sure I'd like a box magazine on a shotgun, to easy to bump into something on the move. A nine round tube is plenty for me.
Old February 4, 2021, 09:36 PM   #2
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Between the AR and AK design, which one adapts to shotgun use the best?
Saiga has been using AK based platforms for years for their shotguns and I hear good things about them. The AR based platforms are relatively new in comparison. I hear great things about some companies such as Rock Island's VR80 and poor things about others. There are a lot of different companies now, but I think they're all made in Turkey.

As far as gas operation goes, I think the AK based ones are fairly close to how the AK operates with a long stroke gas piston. The AR based ones operates how a semi-auto gas shotgun operates rather than how the AR operates. So the difference here being: taking a rifle design and making it bigger (among other adjustments) to fit a 12 ga vs taking a sem-auto shotgun design and adding AR features such as box magazine fed, pistol grip, etc.

I think the best answer to your question is depends on the company, not whether it's an AR or AK design. Since Saiga has been doing this for so long and probably worked out any kinks by now, I would lean towards them. I don't think they fall under $800 though. Still need the AR style shotguns to build a track history, but I think Rock Island is leading the way. I've been personally looking at getting the VR80 sometime down the road.

DISCLAIMER: Not an expert nor do I own any of these. Just been curious about them myself and been doing some research on them. Feel free to correct any info I talked about if incorrect.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; February 4, 2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old February 5, 2021, 03:43 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

I don't think the Saiga guns are imported anymore.
Old February 6, 2021, 12:49 AM   #4
Hawg

Rock Island Armory sells an AR based shotgun called the VR80. It looks and works like an AR and AR stocks and hand guards fit it. It has very good reviews.
Old February 6, 2021, 08:11 AM   #5
GarandTd

I thing all the mystery brands and questionable support would be the scary part. I've also noticed the flood of AR/AK design based shotguns. As has been said, Rock Island has the VR80 that's been around for a few years. It has positive reviews and a company that might back it up, but the rest, anybody's guess.
Old February 12, 2021, 03:05 PM   #6
44caliberkid

Thank you for the replies. I noticed Atlantic has a couple AK shotgun models, both around $550. I'll have to do some research on those.