The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2020, 01:17 PM   #51
guitar1580

Hey, thanks for all of your help, folks. Lots of good info, and I did take everything into account, and have been burning the midnight oil the last couple of nights looking up different models, reading reviews, watching YT videos, etc ... and yes, as mentioned, I'm looking at the smaller models at this point.

I also got out to a couple of dealers yesterday to check some out, and talked to one guy who has several of the compact models that we mentioned in this thread. Like most of the reviews, he likes them all, and said he couldn't think of anything negative, or a model to "stay away from".

So I've decided on the S&W M&P .22 Compact, and a Thunder Beast .22 Takedown can. I've always been mostly a S&W enthusiast anyway, although my guns are older, and revolvers. I like the ergonomics, feel, weight, and sights on the S&W, and I think this will be a good combo to start with. Later, I'll likely get one of the heavier & longer barreled Victory, Ruger, or Buckmark models, and can see myself at some point getting one of those Phoenix Arms plinkers. Those look pretty cool for the price.

Thanks again. Will update.
Old February 11, 2020, 01:47 PM   #52
Bill DeShivs

Zamak IS a zinc alloy! Z (zinc) A (aluminum)
Old February 11, 2020, 04:16 PM   #53
Forte S+W

Quote:
Zamak IS a zinc alloy! Z (zinc) A (aluminum)
Yep, it's actually an acronym...

Zinc
Alumininum
Magnesium
And
Kupfer (German for Copper),

Which makes up the composition of the alloy in order of percentages. However, one misconception is that ZAMAK is the same molten scrap metal that the old Ring of Fire companies were using back in the day. It isn't, it's an industry standard alloy used in a wide range of applications which most folks who bash it aren't even aware of is present in everything from the razor they shave with in the morning to the vehicle they drive. The stuff the Ring of Fire companies were using was quite literally scrap metal which was brittle due to impurities in its composition. ZAMAK on the other hand can is actually quite durable, but often requires quite a bit of thickness to it to withstand the pressures of centerfire cartridges, hence why the slides on Hi-Points are so massive. Rimfire firearms can still be made to ordinary thicknesses though because .22LR and even .22WMR just don't have very high peak operating pressure, nor do they generate much recoil force, ergo many firearms manufactures make use of it to produce inexpensive rimfire pistols and rifles.
Old February 11, 2020, 04:20 PM   #54
guitar1580

I don't really have to be concerned with the Zamak since I'm getting the S&W, which has an aluminum slide. I wouldn't really be concerned anyway if I'd decide to get a Walther. As mentioned above, there have been no known failures. I'd be more concerned if it were a larger caliber, but with a .22, not so much.

There are different variations of Zamak alloys, but yes, it does contain 4% aluminum, along with zinc, magnesium, and copper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

JT
Old February 11, 2020, 04:48 PM   #55
Forte S+W

It really is rather remarkable just how much of a difference adding a small percentage of other metals to an alloy can make.

Like the Scandium Alloy that Smith & Wesson uses for their revolver frames, it's actually mostly Aluminum, with something like 3%-5% Scandium in the mix, but that little percentage makes it substantially stronger.
Old February 11, 2020, 05:14 PM   #56
stuckinthe60s

high standard 102 or 103 series tournament, citation or trophy.
get one and youll be set for life.
best 22 for the money EVER made.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 11, 2020, 05:49 PM   #57
smee78

I have the Ruger 22/45 and it makes a great host gun and eats everything. Ialso see the new guns are even easy to take down and clean. I am currently looking at the new Keltec P17 to add as a host gun.

When I worked part time at a gun store a few years ago we sold a lot of the Ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P 22 guns so those are worth a look also.
Old February 12, 2020, 08:59 PM   #58
guitar1580

It's official. I ordered the S&W M&P .22 Compact and the TBAC .22 Takedown. Now the wait begins. Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.
Old February 13, 2020, 01:07 PM   #59
Adventurer 2

Just my opinions - the suppressor adapter has to be removed before you can remove the slide - I recommend soaking the suppressor adapter overnight in liquid wrench before trying to remove it. As I said I broke the included take down wrench my first attempt at removing the nut. Had to place my S&W M&P 22 compact in a vise for round two. Remember this - right tighten left loosen if you get to this point. I felt like that adapter was red thread locked. I’m not familiar with your suppressor. If it screws apart like mine I also recommend putting anti-seize on the screw threads before firing as 22 or runs dirty and the crud will make suppressor disassemblly difficult if you don’t use anti-seize.
Old February 13, 2020, 01:59 PM   #60
guitar1580

Thanks Adventurer2, I did take that into account, and looked up some info on it. Here's how I handled it.

I ordered the "non suppressor ready" model, for less $$. Then I ordered a better adapter from Hughes Precision for $20.

I had found a YT vid that talks about the lack of an undercut on the last thread on the factory adapter, and how it can cause some suppressors to not seat properly. The hughes does have the undercut, and a nice fluted thread protector.

I'll post that video a little later if I can find it again.
Old February 13, 2020, 08:47 PM   #61
riffraff

I own 2 SR22s, long and short slides, and bumped the mags all up to 17 w/ the aftermarket kits, they are great, and the M&P is nice too (better trigger, but worse controls and mag capacity)... the new kel tec in .22 looks fun too. Maybe one of both in my future.. and the kel tec pmr30 looks really cool too (in 22wmr)..

But the point of a surpressed .22lr escapes me. I mean at the range ears are no problem, occasionall shooting with this caliber simply isn't that painful (if you were hunting or defending yourself somehow).. just no need for it if you ask me, especially not worth it gven the red tape required anyway.
Old February 13, 2020, 10:08 PM   #62
GarandTd

There is a mag capacity upgrade kit for the m&p 22c that increases capacity to 14 rounds. I don't have it and don't know if it's reliable or not, but it's available.

I don't like the backward safety of the Ruger SR22. It's opposite of all my safety equiped handguns. Otherwise, it seems like a fine pistol.
Old February 13, 2020, 11:15 PM   #63
guitar1580

@GarandTd, yep, the backward safety on the SR22 is the main thing that steered me away from it.

@riffraff, I have tinnitus and other ear conditions from playing in a loud rock band for 20 years. Even with plugs and muffs, it will get flared up after a certain amount of shooting, because your bones will conduct sound and it will still get to your eardrums. The suppressor will allow me to shoot more and for longer. Plus, there are areas near me in the woods where I can plink around, and the suppressor will help keep the neighbors from calling the cops. And, if I need to dispense of errant animals in my back garden, I can do so without the neighbors calling the cops. (although my rifle and CB caps currently work pretty well for that) Every person's situation is different, and the suppressor will be worth every penny & every bit of red tape to me. May end up with one for a .45 at some point. It's only money, and ya can't take it with ya.

I'll likely get a couple other .22 models, like the more accurate longer barreled Victory, or one of the Rugers or the Buckmark, and use the same suppressor.
Old February 14, 2020, 01:10 AM   #64
guitar1580

Here is Auger Precision Firearms' video that I was talking about. It wouldn't really matter for the can I'm getting, but it is interesting info to know about the thread adapters.

The other good thing about the Hughes adapter that I ordered is it accepts a standard open end wrench, 7/16" I believe, eliminating the need for the thin factory pot metal wrench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUjYYCq2jiQ

The M&P Compact i ordered won't have an adapter, but I suppose the thread protector itself will be a bitch to get loose. If so, I plan on soaking it in my favorite penetrant, Kroil, overnight. It has worked wonders on everything I've used it on.
Old February 14, 2020, 01:13 PM   #65
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
There is a mag capacity upgrade kit for the m&p 22c that increases capacity to 14 rounds. I don't have it and don't know if it's reliable or not, but it's available.

I don't like the backward safety of the Ruger SR22. It's opposite of all my safety equiped handguns. Otherwise, it seems like a fine pistol.
The SR22 safety thing is backwards but functions as a decocker just like a DA/SA Sig, so for me is like other pistols. I do not typically use the safety on my SR22s other than to decock, in DA mode the trigger is inherently safe IMHO... at least for normal use where I employ a good holster on my hip, I do not feel the need to ever safety an SR22.
Old February 16, 2020, 06:29 PM   #66
wild cat mccane

As an aside, I've met few Zamak bashers online who knew the extent of what metal alloys include.

Steel is an allow of carbon and iron after all...
Old February 17, 2020, 03:51 PM   #67
Jim Watson

What does it allow?
Old February 17, 2020, 09:54 PM   #68
wild cat mccane

hahah.

Alloy.

Stainless steel and carbon steel (ss and blue) guns are also alloy metals.
Old February 18, 2020, 08:50 AM   #69
Jim Watson

I know. Your spell check probably bit you again. There are funny statements about metals on the www.
Old February 20, 2020, 08:57 AM   #70
Ibmikey

Well Guitar, I was going to jump into the middle of this pile of recommendations with suggesting the S&W M&P compact would fit you well, however, you have discovered that wisdom by yourself. I keep my compact, extra magazines and two bricks of ammo in a plastic ammo can sealed with a padlock securing everything,
Old February 23, 2020, 12:40 AM   #71
NobodyJones

And now for something completely different...Look at the Beretta Neos. My wife wanted one and since it was going to be her pistol I bought her one. While it is kind of weird looking it shoots well and is easy to take down and clean.
Old March 16, 2020, 05:33 PM   #72
fl_rich

TX22

I recently on impulse bought a Ruger TX22. Almostv100 rounds with my MysticX silencer and its only coughed a time or two. Usually amo was to blame. Rack, smack bang. Actually rack and bang. Bent nose hollowpoints to blame. Only used Winchester range bucket ammo. 1400 rnds for $55 at Walmart.

The included barrel to can adaptor is what made me pull the trigger... Shoots very quietly in my back yard.
Old March 17, 2020, 03:26 PM   #73
wild cat mccane

Congrats on the Walther M&P compact.

Post up a pic if you get a chance
Old March 17, 2020, 06:59 PM   #74
bjw741

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Congrats on the Walther M&P compact.
Actually the M&P 22 Compact is not a Walther.

Its entirely made at the factory in Springfield, Massachusetts so it really is a Smith & Wesson.
Old March 18, 2020, 10:05 AM   #75
Forte S+W

Yeah, Walther makes the full-size M&P22.