The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Nakanokalronin

Put a P95 trigger in my Ruger P89 and all I can say is,wow

I'll say right out that 2 simple mods will make a Ruger P89 seem like an entirely different gun. For me it was technically 3 if I count the wood checkered grips which where a huge improvement by themselves.

My 2 current improvements made the trigger pull unbelievable. First mod was a 19lb hammer spring from Wolff. I took it to the range and the trigger pull was greatly reduced making it much easier than stock in DA or SA.

The second mod I just finished with was installing a P95 trigger in place of the stock trigger. The P95 trigger curves more towards the rear allowing the reach to be greatly reduced. When the trigger is pulled, the hammer will fall when the trigger is a hair's width from the frame. Now to my surprise, this mod also made the release of the hammer feel like a glass rod and make the entire pull as smooth as a full on trigger job and polish. I know its not from the hammer spring because I dropped the stock trigger back in and still felt the gritty feel. Below is a link to the forum where I found about this mod, as is the picture of the trigger. If you have a P89, I suggest you do these two mods since you'll have a whole new appreciation for the P89.

Forum link and pic:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/view...34134a1fac42d0

My P89 with the P95 trigger.

Below are direct links to the parts

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=1&mID=52

http://shopruger.com/KV03906-Trigger...uctinfo/62057/
Old August 16, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2
vikingextreme93

this makes me want to find a used P89 now...thanks
Old August 16, 2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Nakanokalronin

It defiantly brings new life into these older work horses. I always found it funny when people say the P89 is an ugly gun. It has similar lines to a lot of guns out there and really don't look to bad at all IMHO. Way more looks than some of the modern day blocks (not just Glocks either )

People say its heavy but its actually a tad light than a 92FS which I also like a lot.

I wanted to ad that the stock hammer spring is 22lbs and the 3 pack of hammer springs from Wolff will contain a 21/20/19 pound hammer spring. I've had no problems with the 19lb but if you feel nervous about going to light, the 20lb will still be a big difference.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; August 16, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:27 AM   #4
baddarryl

I have a stainless and I don't care what anyone says, looks cool to me. Thanks for the info, if there has ever been one complaint it is the trigger. The DA is downright horrible. SA not so much, but still. I will get to this.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:53 AM   #5
baddarryl

Is this something I can do myself with no gunsmithing experience or let someone else?
Old August 17, 2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
Is this something I can do myself with no gunsmithing experience or let someone else?
All your doing to the center of the trigger is removing material like in the picture. This can be done with a round file or a dremel. Once your done doing that its all about swapping out the stock trigger with the P95 trigger. Its quite easy to do.

First, make sure the gun is completely unloaded

To take out the trigger all that's needed is a basic field strip

then lift up on the spring holding the slide stop in with a small screw driver or pick and slowly pull the slide stop out enough to clear the trigger,

The trigger will now come up and out of the frame pivoting with the trigger bar,

the pin and spring (The actual trigger spring) will pop out some,

take the old trigger off by sliding it right off the bar,

replace it with the new modified P95 trigger,

push it back down into the hole making sure the front tab on the new trigger is below the opening when pushing down,

while doing this...have a small flat head screw driver handy so you can push in the trigger spring pin towards the front of the frame while you push the trigger and bar downward until seated and remove the screwdriver to let it fully seat,

Push the slide stop back in and your done.

Make sure the gun is unloaded

Put the hammer in the down position

Take off both grip panels,

push the lanyard loop/mainspring cap down on a hard surface,

push the small silver pin out thats holding the mainspring/cap in with a punch or pick...it easily falls out,

lift the gun up and the loop/cap will push out...take it out

take out the spring and replace it with the new one,

reverse the steps to reassemble.
Old February 11, 2020, 09:37 PM   #7
Samsungyieu

Good thread to keep alive

I recently performed this mod and appreciate this old thread still being here for those of us that favor the old P series pistols. I was lucky to find an inexpensive P95 trigger for sale at www.hogislandgunparts.com. He is sold out of these but has a few P94 triggers which can work if one is willing to remove a lot of metal from the rear end of the trigger. If you lack skill with a dremel use a P95 trigger. I opened up a center channel with a dremel, removed the lip on the front, and it works quite well. I also installed the 19 pound hammer spring from Wolff Springs. My P89 has fewer than 200 rounds through it so it should smooth out even more with a good break in. It was a lucky find, new in box after 26 years, never fired.
Life is good!
Old February 12, 2020, 03:34 PM   #8
Nakanokalronin

Glad it's still around to help you. I found a NIB P89DC not too long ago and once again put in a P95 trigger, some Hogue wood grips and stainless grip screws.

Old February 16, 2020, 09:26 PM   #9
Samsungyieu

She's a beauty

May I be nosy and ask what your paid for it?