The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 14, 2020, 03:39 AM   #26
TruthTellers

Just found out about these, apparently they were at SHOT show last month, but this is news to me, so all the media at SHOT dropped the ball not covering this. I mean, this is big news, albeit expected news that Henry was making a side gate lever rifle in revolver calibers.

I'm fine with this, it's a lot better looking than the similar Mossberg lever action that looked like an abortion. The synthetic stock and fore-end are fine, I have a classic Big Boy and I'm scared to death of scratching up the stock, but with this I wouldn't care. The addition of rail for a light is nice.

The threaded barrel is a great feature to have, but I don't care about it. The biggest improvement is the fiber optic sights because traditional sights on lever actions just suck.

Will I buy one? I've had a .45 Colt Rossi on the list for a while now and given I know the action can handle the Ruger only .45 power levels, I'm still going to get that, but for .357/.38? I would rather get the Henry as the barrels are likely more accurate.

With how semi auto guns have become the new machine gun to anti's, it's good to have alternative options for home defense should a ban come down in the future. A lever action rifle is no joke and until somebody starts making pump action centerfire rifles for under a grand, the lever is the way to go.
Old February 14, 2020, 04:19 AM   #27
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
Make it too tactical and it will end up getting lever actions lumped into some future ban.
It's a firearm...
It will banned at some point in the future regardless of features/names.
Old February 14, 2020, 11:24 AM   #28
musicmatty

“I would rather get the Henry as the barrels are likely more accurate.”

I have to agree. I recently mounted a scope on my new Henry side gate 30-30. I’ve been overlapping in the bull’s-eye at 100 yards with factory ammo. Needless to say, I think this rifle is ready for deer season at the end of this year.

I’m new to Henry rifle’s and I’m very impressed with the quality of this firearm. Some people scoff at the price but I have to say, at $850 out the door.. I consider this rifle a bargain especially since it’s American made! I should also note that their customer service is equally impressive. Thus far, all inquiries have been responded to almost instantaneously… How nice is that!

Old February 14, 2020, 12:24 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatty View Post
https://youtu.be/eD2NTvrgS4A

A video was just released today on YouTube featuring this rifle. Seems like a great idea to offer a tactical lever action when there are so many restrictions now on many other tactical assault weapons. It’s being offered in the hard-hitting 45–70 government round along with the other calibers listed below in the picture.

It has tied with the tactical Marlin for ugliest firearm of the century.
Old February 16, 2020, 09:14 PM   #30
Rifletom

Some enlightening comments here. I have a Win Mod 94 in 30-30, two Henry's, both Big Boy's with 20" barrels. One .357/.38spl, the other in .45 Colt. Oh, and one Marlin, a 39A. All are very nice indeed with the Henry's having a better fit and finish. All are accurate as they are scoped. I like 'em all. If the "purists" out there don't like Henry's, don't buy them.
It really is that simple. My next lever rifle is going to be a Rossi '92. Hope that doesn't bother any one.
Old February 25, 2020, 07:24 PM   #31
buzz58

I ordered a Henry X .357. UPS tracking says it will be delivered to my dealer tomorrow. Can’t wait, I’m getting a little giddy this evening , anticipating sending lead down the 17.3” pipe tomorrow!!
Old February 25, 2020, 07:53 PM   #32
Pathfinder45

Most of the time, I have to live in and deal with with this modern world. When I actually get to break away from it and hit the woods, I want my rifle to be free of ultra-modern, tacticool B.S. as well. To heck with plastic stocks, pick-your-nose rails, bipods, GPS. etc. When we go into the Wilderness, can't we be just a little bit primitive? Too much technology compromises the wilderness.
Old February 26, 2020, 01:01 AM   #33
stagpanther

Ah, who cares. I don't.
Old February 29, 2020, 02:44 PM   #34
mxsailor803

I can admire what Henry did here, it’s a niche but it’s a niche that it can be filled. I’m especially interested in the X model in .357 with some of my cast trailboss loads and my Octane 45 on the barrel.
Old March 6, 2020, 10:23 PM   #35
buzz58

X

I’m enjoying my model X in 357 magnum. It pairs good with my Dan Wesson 8”.

I’ve been shooting Missouri bullets 158 gr SWC Hi-Tex, with CFE, and H110 powders.
Old March 7, 2020, 08:51 AM   #36
'88Scrat

I currently own 4 Henry rifles and you can't go wrong no matter what you go with, the quality and fit/finish is second to none. I prefer my lever guns in wood but its your gun, get what suites you. I toyed with the idea of getting that Marlin thing a couple years ago but after handling one I changed my mind.

In some firearms polymer and plastic just seem to fit. Henry's deserve walnut. My $0.02
Old March 7, 2020, 09:16 AM   #37
jetinteriorguy

My first thoughts were, why go with the reduced capacity and shorter barrel. But then I noticed the side loading gate and got to thinking, this thing could be interesting and fun. At this point I’m not really looking to add anything to my current armory, but if I didn’t already have a BBS in .357 I’d be tempted to add this one. I could see this with a red dot and a suppressor. Hmmmm, maybe I do have room for one more in the safe.
Old March 7, 2020, 07:18 PM   #38
musicmatty

Informative video review.

https://youtu.be/n9cXkfqnhag

Old March 7, 2020, 09:07 PM   #39
Kreyzhorse

I hope it sells, but seems like it's solution in search of a problem.
Old March 8, 2020, 06:39 AM   #40
darkgael

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 shooter View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that the whole tactical and lever action is stupid.

There is nothing tactical about a lever action rifle and it's just another stupid marketing tool some fan boy thought up.

One of these days the whole tacti-fool everything will go away, seems like it can't happen fast enough!
This ^^^^. Very true.
Old March 8, 2020, 09:02 AM   #41
2wheelwander

In todays plastic/tac-rail/picatinny whatchamacallit, I also don't believe levers are tactical whatsoever.

BUT! I also recall articles written by Viet Nam vets who saw .444 Marlin's used in CQ combat in the jungle. A hard hitting round is hard hitting no matter what it comes out of. Rate of fire is another thing but honestly, WHO needs a high rate of fire for sustained periods of time as a civilian? Which also begs the question, how many people who would rely on these for home defense will practice enough with expensive ammo to become second nature proficient with them in the dark and know an adrenaline dump won't interfere with motor skills? <1%??

Its the Honda Fury of firearms. Honda brought that bike out about the time Orange County Choppers was cancelled and the whole chopper craze was ending. Welcome to the party but everyone is leaving.

It thrills me to see us on the other side of the tacti-cool craze. I was finally able to replace my HBAR for half what they were going for a year ago.

I'm eager to see what the next craze is, hope its more cheap plastic guns so the stuff I want stays cheap.
Old March 8, 2020, 10:31 AM   #42
musicmatty

Quote:
In todays plastic/tac-rail/picatinny whatchamacallit, I also don't believe levers are tactical whatsoever.

BUT! I also recall articles written by Viet Nam vets who saw .444 Marlin's used in CQ combat in the jungle. A hard hitting round is hard hitting no matter what it comes out of. Rate of fire is another thing but honestly, WHO needs a high rate of fire for sustained periods of time as a civilian? Which also begs the question, how many people who would rely on these for home defense will practice enough with expensive ammo to become second nature proficient with them in the dark and know an adrenaline dump won't interfere with motor skills? <1%??

Its the Honda Fury of firearms. Honda brought that bike out about the time Orange County Choppers was cancelled and the whole chopper craze was ending. Welcome to the party but everyone is leaving.

It thrills me to see us on the other side of the tacti-cool craze. I was finally able to replace my HBAR for half what they were going for a year ago.

I'm eager to see what the next craze is, hope its more cheap plastic guns so the stuff I want stays cheap.
Fully agree. Some people are more comfortable with something a little more primitive then a gas operated weapon and that’s totally cool. This rifle could also be used as simply a guide/hunting rifle especially with the hard-hitting 45-70 round.

I have an American made Winchester home defender 12 gauge shotgun that I bought used for about $300 and it works perfect for going out and shooting sporting clays even with it’s short barrel… So much for an expensive long barrel shotgun for clays.

I think the Henry X gun is a very nice option for someone who doesn’t want several different guns but is looking for something to do double duty with. This rifle is excellent for hunting and for someone who also likes to backpack out into bear country and of course for home defense. Some people don’t have the luxury to own many different firearms and this Henry X would be a nice option for them.

Old March 26, 2020, 11:21 AM   #43
Inusuit

My only experience with the Henry brand was when they loaned several .22s for a local youth shooting program. I was impressed with the actions, definitely not clunky but very smooth. Fit and finish excellent, accuracy also.

I have a couple Winchester 94s and several pre-Remington Marlins in calibers from .22 to .38-55. What I've seen of Henrys, they are on a par with the guns I own.
Old March 26, 2020, 07:50 PM   #44
Drm50

I can think of nothing as useful as a Tactical 45/70 Lever Action unless it be a screen door on a submarine.
Old March 29, 2020, 01:36 PM   #45
Cheapshooter

Henery produces great products. But I just can't warm up to a "tactical" lever gun. I don't even care for a scope on one. Just takes away from the classic look.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 30, 2020, 10:40 PM   #46
bamaranger

strokes

Different strokes for different folks, ........if you like these tac levers, if you like Henry's ( I like their .22's), all good and well.

But the centerfires and the tac model leave me cold. And Mossberg's tac lever really cold.
Old March 31, 2020, 11:19 AM   #47
Cheapshooter

Quote:
And Mossberg's tac lever really cold.
More like nauseous!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!